• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trayvon Martin, Vigilante Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "additional factual information," if she has any, should be revealed in the courtroom, not a press conference.

The leaks have been plentiful though, including a leak of the charges, and we haven't had a hint of any damning evidence so far.

I was thinking they were hinting at a security cam video, or some new audio, but nothing ever developed. Not in the open, anyway.
 
Your concern is not unfounded, but if Casey Anthony can be acquitted after the media attention her case got (and the apparently much stronger case against her, although not all the evidence in this case is available yet), then Zimmerman should be able to get a fair trial.

I would actually go for a jury trial, because I would bet I could get at least a hung jury if I were Zimmerman's attorney (and repeated hung juries if the prosecution retries the case). At least on the evidence available. There may be something damning we don't know about.
Again, good point.
 
Looks like he's got a new lawyer and from the little I've seen it looks like he's a hell of a lot better than the first two nincompoops.
 
I don't know, my psychic powers ran out after predicting that the prosecution must know something that the media wasn't reporting.

After that, things are uncertain, another session may be required.

:wink:
:p

Possibly, or that Martin was on the ground under Zimmerman, or that there is not evidence that Martin attacked Zimmerman in any way to provoke the confrontation, etc. etc.

Who knows.
"Who knows" is a very good answer.

I just think the prosecutor might have been operating off of some really bad information and was trying to figure out if that was the case.
 
Did anyone listen to the prosecutor's press conference? She mentioned in passing another case they are working on where a former marine was killed at a gas station. Interesting this isn't national news but I guess it's not sensational enough. That crime happened 2 years ago (and I don't remember it being national news then either) but is in the courts now. After a quick glance at what is purported to be a semi-legitimate (for a few hours a day anyway) news network that has several shows (with scum hosts such as Jane Velez Mitchell and Nancy Grace) dedicated to current criminal cases (HLN) I saw nothing but wall to wall coverage of Zimmerman with much of the "coverage" being even more speculation on what the prosecutors might have that we don't know about. They even spent a considerable amount of time watching the gate of the police station eagerly awaiting Zimmerman for some reason. In case anyone is interested in that other case:

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...ase-ex-marine-killed-jacksonville-gas-station
 
Well, I'm surprised at the murder 2 charge. I have to think there is more evidence than we have ever been aware of. I expected a charge, but not murder 2.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/11/2743404/second-degree-murder-charge-may.html

I suspect a case of over charging to see if they can get him to break and take a plea. Unless they have something pretty damning (an voice analysis wouldn't cut it in my opinion unless they are hoping for a CSI effect) then I can't see them getting Murder 2 to stick. With what is in the public arena it'd be hard enough to get Manslaughter to stick if you had a semi rational jury.
 
Looks like he's got a new lawyer and from the little I've seen it looks like he's a hell of a lot better than the first two nincompoops.

If he had kept them the judge would order more competent council. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that still happens.


If this goes to a jury Zimmerman would do well to admit he knows Martin did nothing to bring the situation on him but that he realized the kid thought he was being attacked and that, in turn, caused himself to panic when he thought the kid would go for his gun.

It might get enough sympathy for the hectic nature of the moment that Murder 2 won't be upheld.
 
If he had kept them the judge would order more competent council. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that still happens.


If this goes to a jury Zimmerman would do well to admit he knows Martin did nothing to bring the situation on him but that he realized the kid thought he was being attacked and that, in turn, caused himself to panic when he thought the kid would go for his gun.

It might get enough sympathy for the hectic nature of the moment that Murder 2 won't be upheld.

You might be surprised how low the bar is for minimally competent representation.
 
His new attorney needs to jump on GZ's family and pronto. Tell them to stay off the TV shows and keep their damned mouths shut.

GZ's brother is telling the not so news folks that TM was holding his hand over GZ's mouth and nose so GZ couldn't breathe. Wait, if that's true, who was screaming? How could someone whose face was covered and couldn't breathe, scream for 40 odd seconds?
 
Last edited:
His new attorney needs to jump on GZ's family and pronto. Tell them to stay off the TV shows and keep their damned mouths shut.

GZ's brother is telling the not so news folks that TM was holding his hand over GZ's mouth and nose so GZ couldn't breathe. Wait, if that's true, who was screaming? How could someone whose face was covered and couldn't breathe, scream for 40 odd seconds?

Recall that the mortician that took careof Martin's funeral stated that Martin had no marks on his hands. So, Zimmerman didn't try to bite when Martin stuck his hand directly over his mouth? And Martin, who was in the middle of pummeling him and bashing his head, actively trying to kill him, just...took a break from that to try to cover Zimmerman's mouth? And he didn't try to choke him instead?

Yeah, it's time for the family to be quiet.
 
I have the audio recording of special prosecutor Angela Corey's announcement and press conference this evening. It's an MP3 file, 25 minutes long, about 12 megs. I can transfer this file to anyone who has some web hosting space where it can be linked for sharing. My storage space is limited and I won't be able to make it available for very long before it gets deleted.
 
I just want things to follow the legal, proper course of action and whatever the decision is, that's justice. If I were GZ's attorney, I think I'd go for trial by judge instead of jury. It's tricky either way but I think that would be the better choice.
Does the accused get to pick?
 
Seems he doesn't listen to good advice much, starting with the good advice of the 911 dispatcher to stay in his car and let the police handle it.

The kind of person who blows off that advice and tries to handle it himself might also be the kind of person who blows off advice from his lawyer and tries to handle his own defense by himself.
 
Does the accused get to pick?


Yes- though I'm not certain the judge has to approve a bench trial.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom