• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trayvon Martin, Vigilante Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you make a number of good points. Now that the process is moving forward I do fear for Zimmerman's rights. Obviously not impossible but given the media attention, difficult. Yeah, I think a trial by judge a good idea in this case.

Your concern is not unfounded, but if Casey Anthony can be acquitted after the media attention her case got (and the apparently much stronger case against her, although not all the evidence in this case is available yet), then Zimmerman should be able to get a fair trial.

I would actually go for a jury trial, because I would bet I could get at least a hung jury if I were Zimmerman's attorney (and repeated hung juries if the prosecution retries the case). At least on the evidence available. There may be something damning we don't know about.
 
Last edited:
Oh, I don't doubt politics played a role. I'm sure a lot of people in Florida government are sighing in relief. But if that initial report is true, they couldn't have simply arrested Zimmerman because it was politically expedient. They needed new evidence.

But they insisted that the investigation was ongoing, for a week afterwards. Corey said they did a good investigation and her team just added to it. I am inclined to believe they found something, but what? I don't want to wait a year for this to go to trial.
 
But they insisted that the investigation was ongoing, for a week afterwards. Corey said they did a good investigation and her team just added to it. I am inclined to believe they found something, but what? I don't want to wait a year for this to go to trial.

My guess? The voice isn't Zimmerman and they found several experts to back that up.

Just speculation, but I think that's my best guess.
 
Casey Anthony’s lawyer: George Zimmerman’s a victim of prosecutor's ‘political prostitution’

To prove Zimmerman was guilty of second-degree murder, Corey will have to show Zimmerman acted with a “depraved mind” when he shot Trayvon.

“The only evidence we have now is what Zimmerman says and what an eyewitness says – that Trayvon was beating him,” Mason said. “Well, if that’s the case, this shouldn’t reach a jury. There’s just no evidence showing he acted with a depraved [mind].
One-time federal prosecutor, former U.S. Attorney Kendall Coffey, suggested Corey might not stick with the second-degree murder charge through trial.

"This is an aggressive charge," he said. "And there are times when an aggressive charge gives more incentive for the defendant to seek a plea.
 
But they insisted that the investigation was ongoing, for a week afterwards. Corey said they did a good investigation and her team just added to it. I am inclined to believe they found something, but what?
Hint hint. They found that millions of people wanted GZ's head and that it was politically required that he be arrested.
 
If you are into programming, the toolkit that Easy Voice is probably built from is open source.

There are hints in other material that Mr. Owen did know enough to do proper negative comparisons. But if the software was doing negative comparisons then there should be a positive indicator of the quality of that negative result. I haven't seen that. But then, I don't think that anyone except Mr. Owen has seen enough of this program to say what it can and cannot do.

I am currently somewhat skeptical of this particular software package but don't find it inconceivable that the task is possible.

Hey, do you have a link for that? Just for general interest, I'd love to look at it.
 
My guess? The voice isn't Zimmerman and they found several experts to back that up.
I believe it's Zimmerman's voice and it's why I believe he's not going to be convicted of 2nd degree murder. No jury is going to convict someone of 2nd degree murder after hearing him screaming for help for 60 seconds (or however long it was). However they may still be able to get a manslaughter verdict even if those are his screams. This is pure speculation on my part.
 
Last edited:
But they insisted that the investigation was ongoing, for a week afterwards. Corey said they did a good investigation and her team just added to it. I am inclined to believe they found something, but what? I don't want to wait a year for this to go to trial.
Have you read about how this has to go before a judge who will decide if it meets the stand your ground requirements and that a judge could stop it from ever going to court? If so, I wonder how long before that hearing takes place?
 
It should be noted that it could just as easily be the difference between the two different agencies. Remember that the Florida govenor assigned the special prosecutor when the first didn't give the desired result. All the state needs for charges to be preferred is a prosecutor willing to sign an affidavit that, in his or her mind, probable cause exists.
 
Question for lawyers familiar with the Florida justice system. Can the jury return a verdict of manslaughter if they conclude that Z is guilty of something, but not murder 2?

Absolutely. Florida has a "lesser Included Offense" provision in the Florida laws.

Cheers!!
 
Does that mean the prosecutor must think that it was Martin screaming for help?

Possibly, or that Martin was on the ground under Zimmerman, or that there is not evidence that Martin attacked Zimmerman in any way to provoke the confrontation, etc. etc.

Who knows.
 
She was a great spokesperson for the state of FL, said nice things about everyone, said all the right things, and gave us no additional factual information as far as I could tell.

The "additional factual information," if she has any, should be revealed in the courtroom, not a press conference.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom