johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
- Joined
- Jan 12, 2007
- Messages
- 18,821
I agree, I do not focus on the legal niceties because of some obsession, but because they will matter not my opinion. The fact that I feel GZ should have stayed in the car and just waited for the police has no bearing on what a judge will instruct the jury.
The fact that I agree, had GZ stayed in his car Trayvon would not have been shot and therefore he is culpable, matters not one whit. What matters is the law, the legal precedents and what happens in a potential trial.
I have been followed and approached by people who were acting crazy and/or suspicious, I felt very threatened in those situations. I feel that Trayvon probably also felt threatened.
That and $3.50 will buy you a fancy coffee to take to court. I know what I feel, however in these cases the evidence, the law, the legal precedents and the trial are what matter.
Legal precedents in Florida will have a major sway in any potential trials, what evidence is permitted and what lines of argument are presented will matter even more, the jury instructions will matter the most.
I think we're in agreement on most of the particulars here. And I know the chasm between common sense and what is acceptable in a court of law can be wide.
But for me, it simply comes down to Zimmerman's credibility. At this point, all we have is his word that he acted in self-defense. That opens up him and his story to scrutiny.
I don't know for sure how this would play out if it leads to a criminal proceeding, but I have to think at some point - absent solid evidence - the believability of what he claims will factor in. I don't know, I could be wrong.
Last edited: