Overall, violence is fun... until it happens to us.
No, it isn't.
Overall, violence is fun... until it happens to us.
Originally Posted by RobDegraves View Post
Overall, violence is fun... until it happens to us.
No, it isn't.
That you consider it disproportional doesn't bother me. I don't know what a low life who broke into my home would be there for or if he has a weapon or what. I value my life and the lives of my loved ones infinitely more than his so I am shooting unless I am sure I don't need to. And this would be completely legal. Don't like it? Tough ****.
Overall, violence is fun... until it happens to us.
No, it isn't.
Wow.... nothing like a poorly thought out three word answer.
Are you saying that violence is not popular on tv, movies and video games? Really?
I think you will find that if you simply blow someone away if they broke into your house you will have a case to answer. That may turn out to be tough **** for you.
No, violence isn't fun when it happens to you.
According to the law, I am presumed to reasonably believe that deadly force is needed against someone who broke into my home. And thus I can blow him away.
I doubt it very much. According to the law, I am presumed to reasonably believe that deadly force is needed against someone who broke into my home. And thus I can blow him away.
@
@The Dark Lord
In what state?
By "blow him away", do you mean engage in a gun fight where both of you might die? Or do you think you will obviously win all such events?
Bolding mine.
Again, I read relish into this, there's no regret.. The langage is the language of movies, where violence is 'good'.
I was simply using the same language that lionking used. Please follow the conversation.
So, a hypothetical.
You and your family are sleeping p3eacfully upstairs. You wake and hear the sounds of a man downstairs making off with your enormous telly.
You take your weapon, click off the safety and wander downstairs to face the evildoer. He too has a gun and a gunfight ensues.
Now, I am aware that most people aren't very good shots. I'm also aware that an awful lot of houses in the US are built mainly of wood. What are the odds of a large calibre bullet (and there has been much discussion in this thread of the stopping power of various different firearms) flying through the ceiling and embedding itself into some vital body part of your wife and/or children?
I dunno.
I think you will find that if you simply blow someone away if they broke into your house you will have a case to answer. That may turn out to be tough **** for you.
See, this is what I mean. I'm sure I'm wrong, but the gleeful list of different ways you can mutilate, maim and kill an intruder really does make it seem to me like you're wishing for it to happen, just so you can unleash all that hardware.
If I don't go downstairs and I simply let them hightail it with my telly, no-one gets shot and I put in an insurance claim.
If I initiate a firefight then I might get shot. Or, worse still, my wife or children might get shot. The guilt I would feel at that point would be unbearable.
I was presented with this problem real-world about 2 years ago. My then 8-year-old daughter presented herself in my room claiming someone was at her window. I decided to give in without a fight and told her to climb in bed. She look at me with her no BS face and said "Daddy, somebody's at my window."
I retreived my firearm, told my wife to arm herself and get the kids. I reached my child's door, did my quick look and saw that the window was open and someone was indeed gaining entry. I went to Condition 0 (chambered round, safety off), sighted (I like high compressed ready, BTW) and mentally drew my red line. When his body touched the floor I would identify and shoot. No interveiw any only a split-second assessment.
Luckily for this young man, two very fortunate things happened. First, my daughter had evacuated her room. This decompressed my decision to the point where my step-daughter had time to intervene. Her male freind was sneaking in the house and chose the wrong window. This kid was seconds away. Had my daughter remained in her room, I would have taken the shot. I shudder to think about that.
After his initial shock wore off, the little punk laughed at me. That was too much. We had the kid sat (Condition 1) at gunpoint and he thought the thing funny somehow. Stupid kid. I told my wife that I was about to shoot him and that she should tell the police that he was trying to disarm me. I think she me took me a bit too serious at first, she told me not to. I said she was right - I would shoot him and dig a hole. No-one knew where he was - he had either snuck out or lied to his parents about where he was.
At any rate, the deputy arrived, cuffed and stuffed - the whole time the kid screaming "He's got a gun!" The deputy's reply (to paraphrase), "No crap, dumbbutt - he should have shot you."
We decided out of respect to the kids parents not to do a B&E complaint. A dective came out to "investigate" the threats I had made, but mainly just to fill out his report so that the kid would have a history in case something like that happened again.
In Arkansas, I would have been well on pretty firm ground. We have no Castle Doctrine on the books but the "complete safety" standard for retreat makes "defense from home invasion" prosecutions prohibitive.
People aren't out looking for someone to "blow away." People around here want to secure in their person and their property and the vast majority want to avoid conflict.
Or the intruder finds your wife and children and to decides to have some fun. Or the meth tells him that witnesses are a bad idea - he's not going back to prison.
You're absolutely right. Your thought should never be to initiate a firefight. Never.
If he did, I do think that I would likely win. Being my house, I would have the tactical advantage and I am almost certainly better with a gun than some random low life who breaks into people's homes.