I'm pretty sure I said it correctly. So if what you say is the case, then I believe there will be no trial.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are saying it hinges on "who threw the first punch".
I disagree. That was covered in detail earlier in the thread.
As far as I understand it, if it can be determined that Z "provoked" the fight, then he does not have the right to end the fight in self defense. It does not necessarily matter if he didn't throw the first punch.
Whether or not Zimmerman goes to trial won't be decided by any determination of who threw the first punch, I'm sure of that.
State and defense aren't interested in that level of detail.
But as for that last statement, that is what remains to be seen.
"Provoking" a fight has consistently been frowned upon as an excuse for physical assault by the courts. So I would tend to diregard it.
And although we can't simply assume Zimmerman is telling the truth when he says that Martin turned the argument into a fist fight, in a courtroom we have to accept this as possible unless some evidence proves otherwise beyond a reasonable doubt.
This is why the trial cannot hinge on this point, if the jurors are performing their obligations correctly.
The thing is, Zimmerman's actions are protected (or not) by the law at the time, as written, even if he himself had no idea what the law was.
So even if he went in there spoiling for trouble, if the law as passed protects him, then it protects him.
Even if you accept the least charitable version of events which falls under the reasonable doubt standard, it's hard to peg him for murder.
That's why I'm thinking manslaughter, because he could have avoided the confrontation and would have to be grossly negligent not to see that his actions could have led to violence.