• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

Whether it was snark or nonsense is a matter of opinion.

I wasn't the one who started off with accusations of "hater". If my response was less than perfectly amicable, that might be the reason.

Tu quoque ? Just pointing out that when your response includes phrasing like 'legions of disciples' and 'fanboi' ... that's not really the language someone who likes or doesn't care about apple uses.

I could say that you seem a bit thin-skinned about the subject. That wouldn't be evidence that I "hated" Apple either.

Would you like to list all the things you could say that wouldn't be evidence ? I'm not sure I get the point.
 
Tu quoque ? Just pointing out that when your response includes phrasing like 'legions of disciples' and 'fanboi' ... that's not really the language someone who likes or doesn't care about apple uses.


Not a tu quoque. I am simply pointing out how the tenor of the exchange was established.

My opinion concerning the behavior of certain subsets of the users of Apple products has nothing to do with my opinion of the products themselves, which, if you will review the sentence you highlighted for attack, is what I was referring to. It is curious that you are unable to discern the difference. Or maybe not.

Would you like to list all the things you could say that wouldn't be evidence ? I'm not sure I get the point.


Yes. That is apparent. See above.
 
I'll make this simple.

A company patents a safety device. They then do not licence it to others.

A company patents a safety device. They licence it to others to implement if they wish, for a reasonable price.

I will think better of the second company's actions than the first. Apparently it's a controversial opinion in this thread.
 
I'll make this simple.

A company patents a safety device. They then do not licence it to others.

A company patents a safety device. They licence it to others to implement if they wish, for a reasonable price.

I will think better of the second company's actions than the first. Apparently it's a controversial opinion in this thread.

The only nit I would pick is about the term 'safety device' - but I don't think the whole thread finds your opinion controversial. :)
 
I'll make this simple.

A company patents a safety device. They then do not licence it to others.

A company patents a safety device. They licence it to others to implement if they wish, for a reasonable price.

I will think better of the second company's actions than the first. Apparently it's a controversial opinion in this thread.
You're being dramatic.

Patents protect intellectual property.

Given Apple's experience with Microsoft stealing GUI items from them in the 80's, can you blame them for having learned that lesson as well as they did??

Protect your IP!
 
Licencing things out to others doesn't hurt one's intellectual property!

The only nit I would pick is about the term 'safety device' - but I don't think the whole thread finds your opinion controversial. :)
Although I don't think it's all that important for my own use, I hear people with those magnetic connectors talk about how much safer it makes the cord. Perhaps they are in places where children are about or their laptops or other devices that could use them are in a place that people could trip over them.
 
<pedantic> Oh, and that's not even including the touch to open the app, or select the photo ! </pedantic>

So, the ad hom against Randy Ubillos aside - iphoto on ipad looks pretty fantastic.

Is there anything closely feature comparable available on another tablet ?

You must be mistaking someone else's post for mine since I did not use an "ad hom".
 
You must be mistaking someone else's post for mine since I did not use an "ad hom".

Oh. So you thought that instead of discussing the relative merits of iphoto on the ipad, you would post that the guy doing the demo is incapable of counting to 2 correctly ? If you think that's a rational conclusion and a good way to advance any discussion, then by all means, I apologize.
 
Last edited:
I just got my confirmation email and FedEx tracking number for my new iPad. Oh, Friday. Will you ever get here?!
 
Oh. So you thought that instead of discussing the relative merits of iphoto on the ipad, you would post that the guy doing the demo is incapable of counting to 2 correctly ? If you think that's a rational conclusion and a good way to advance any discussion, then by all means, I apologize.
The argumentum ad hominem fallacy is where you take an irrelevant property of an individual and either dismiss or accept the truth of a claim they are putting forward on the basis of that property.

It is different from an insult.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html
 
I've owned a laptop of one sort or another since the Epson HX-20WP came out in the early eighties (I still have one). I've used them in every sort of environment, most commonly in construction field trailers, conference rooms, and my living room table, and so far (fingers crossed) I have managed to keep from trashing one because the power cord was tripped over. Maybe I've just been lucky. Maybe Apple fanbois need to be more careful.

To be fair, it can get pretty crowded at Starbuck's.

:boxedin:
 
The argumentum ad hominem fallacy is where you take an irrelevant property of an individual and either dismiss or accept the truth of a claim they are putting forward on the basis of that property.

It is different from an insult.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html


Nice demo - pity he can't count, number of times he says "two touches" when he's actually used 3 or more!

Seems to fall into the category of negating the claim of how fantastic iphoto on the ipad is by pointing out that the presenter can't count. *shrugs*
 
What's this I see? A valid complaint about how Apple handles their software and hardware?

source

...Retina-ready apps consume two to three times as much of the iPad’s nonexpandable storage than pre-Retina apps. To update their apps for the new display, software companies must redo their graphics at much higher resolution, which means much larger files.

(Worse, each app is usually written in single, universal version for all iPad models. So those apps will eat up the same extra space, pointlessly, on older iPads, too — and even on iPhones, since many apps are written to run on both the tablet and the phone. In other words, iPhone owners, too, will wind up losing storage space because of this graphic-bloat ripple-down effect.)


Aside from that this seems odd:

A tiny microphone now appears on the [new iPads] on-screen keyboard. Tapping it lets you speak to type, exactly as on the iPhone 4S.

For most people, that’s a huge blessing; typing on glass has never been a joyous activity. The recognition is fast and accurate, at least when you have a strong Internet connection (the transcription is actually performed by faraway servers).

Would the obvious conclusion be that 'speak to type' does not work if you don't have internet or if your internet connection is very weak or down?

ETA: Why do I picture kids in China transcribing the speach for you?

Surely the software for it isn't that big. It's probably not on the iPad itself because the base model only has 16 GB of storage. Then again, doesn't it fit on iPhones, or do they have the same limitation.
 
Last edited:
I found this interesting from the NY Times review:

"Really, the new iPad should have been called the iPad 2S."

"Apple just took its white-hot iPad and added the latest screen, battery and cellular technologies."

So this guy thinks it should have just been called the 2S implying it was just a minor update. I think adding a screen that virtually every reviewer is saying is the most stunning display they've ever seen on a mobile device, doubling the battery, adding LTE which for many people is faster than their connection at home, doubling the ram and adding a quad core graphics processor is only worthy of a 2S designation, I'd be interested to hear what he thinks would be worthy of being called the iPad 3 iPad.
 
I found this interesting from the NY Times review:



So this guy thinks it should have just been called the 2S implying it was just a minor update. I think adding a screen that virtually every reviewer is saying is the most stunning display they've ever seen on a mobile device, doubling the battery, adding LTE which for many people is faster than their connection at home, doubling the ram and adding a quad core graphics processor is only worthy of a 2S designation, I'd be interested to hear what he thinks would be worthy of being called the iPad 3 iPad.

Like I posted here:
what would it take for the iPad 3 to be deemed an immodest update? A fusion energy source? Teleportation? A camera that sees into the future?

And OnlyTellsTruths is just stirring the pot ;) with the the complaint is all those beautiful higher resolution graphics take up unnecessary space on devices that don't support them. Having beautiful graphics is now known as 'graphics-bloat' :rolleyes:
 
Oh. So you thought that instead of discussing the relative merits of iphoto on the ipad, you would post that the guy doing the demo is incapable of counting to 2 correctly ? If you think that's a rational conclusion and a good way to advance any discussion, then by all means, I apologize.

Which of course does nothing to sup[port your claim of "ad hom". I take it I can expect your apology for making up things and attributing them to me.
 
And just had a sneak peak at an iPad-not-3 at a developers this afternoon and the comments in the press regarding the display are in no way exaggerated. It really is the best display I have ever seen - on anything - whether TV, monitor, laptop screen and so on, jaw-dropping is the word to describe my initial reaction to viewing hi-res photos.
 
Seems to fall into the category of negating the claim of how fantastic iphoto on the ipad is by pointing out that the presenter can't count. *shrugs*

Which of course does nothing to sup[port your claim of "ad hom". I take it I can expect your apology for making up things and attributing them to me.

No, it probably wasn't intended as an ad hominem argument, just a bunch of the same type of snark you have thrown out in other parts of the thread. I apologize for misconstruing/misrepresenting your anti-apple snark.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom