• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

Necessary ? No.

But I rarely use the button with the multitouch gestures.

The button is a great user 'safety' button though - any time you feel lost - press the button to get to home. It makes the device 'simpler', therefor more appealing to a wider audience, IMHO. Not sure about the benefits of removing it.

and also if Siri gets integrated eventually how would that work? Give another button double-duty? Also doing a reboot?

Eh, we'll see in 8 days.
 
If I were ever tempted to buy a tablet, I think I'd go with something like this instead:
<>
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-0651-37U-10-1-Inch-Multitouch-Netbook/dp/B0032ALW5C

This netbook offers more functionality and flexibility than an iPad, for about $300. Of course it's not ¼" thick, and it weighs a bit more than a pound and a half, but those things don't matter much to me. I'm more interested in the maximum usability of the machine, than impressing the hipsters hanging out at Starbucks.

Good luck with that.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9224605/Lenovo_stops_selling_netbooks_online
Lenovo has stopped selling netbooks through its website and hasn't decided if it will start selling them again there in the future, the company said on Friday.
The netbook models that were available have sold out and are "not being replaced in the near future," Lenovo spokesman Ray Gorman said via email.


Also - "At just 3 pounds and 0.6 inches thin," - a bit more than 1.5 lbs.

And that $300 price is for a *used* one from a amazon reseller with 1 star.

New, its $529 from best buy.
 
Necessary ? No.

But I rarely use the button with the multitouch gestures.

The button is a great user 'safety' button though - any time you feel lost - press the button to get to home. It makes the device 'simpler', therefor more appealing to a wider audience, IMHO. Not sure about the benefits of removing it.

Damn those hi tech fools... first they abandon the Zip drive, now they're getting rid of buttons too... how are all us Apple fanbois going to show off our penis extensions if we can't undo our flies?
 
...snip...

You're comparing setting up a new Android phone with a iPod Touch running an old operating system. Then you say how Apple is falling behind on the usability front as the iOS is feeling ancient? How about comparing the current operating systems instead of old Apple vs. new Android. Your post makes no sense on a fantastic level especially since the new iOS, as you point out, requires no PC which seemed to be the source of most of your headaches with setting up the touch.

It was an actual realworld example so that is what folk are encountering today away from the land of developers, geeks and the "gadget" press, and it was comparing actually comparing like to like versions of the OSs - the Android phone was Gingerbread and the touch iOS4.

But my comments about usability and looking ancient was not based on iOS4 but from using and being involved in the development of apps for both iOS and Android (and Blackberry but less said about that the better!). iOS5 looks like something from 5 years ago in terms of style and its usability does not compare to a good Android implementation and integration is behind where Android (version 4) is at today. As I said I am hoping that iOS6 brings it back up to date. Sadly given how old fashioned OSX looks nowadays (it looked fantastic 5 years ago) I doubt they will refresh the style in any significant way.
 
I haven't seen anything in this thread that makes me want to run out the door to buy the newest ipad when it comes out.

I'm sticking with Linux and Android. :D
 
Lots of discussion on the graphic that accompanies the announcement:

470_apple_ipad3_launch_120228.jpg


What does it mean.

Needless to say, something fantastic! :D
 
Lots of discussion on the graphic that accompanies the announcement:

[qimg]http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20120228/470_apple_ipad3_launch_120228.jpg?2[/qimg]

What does it mean.

Needless to say, something fantastic! :D

It's going to be a squishy cutie-pie iPad that you can cuddle and love and love and love....
 
Lots of discussion on the graphic that accompanies the announcement:

[qimg]http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20120228/470_apple_ipad3_launch_120228.jpg?2[/qimg]

What does it mean.

Needless to say, something fantastic! :D

The suspense is killing me! At least tell us a few of its new "fantastic" capabilities. Will the new ipad vastly improve your sex life? Will it help you find the Fountain of Youth? Bring about world peace? Allow you to communicate with aliens in another galaxy? Or in the very least, can be easily transformed into a rocket pack that will allow Apple ipad users to soar above the clouds?

Ohhhh I can't wait!! ;)
 
Last edited:
God, I wish this wasn't a leap year so this event would be happening one day sooner. Untastic.:(
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom