• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

Yes, you both did.


No, he asked me a question that assumed a hasty generalization about all Android devices, and I pointed that out. Then you jumped in with a lie that I was promoting a false dichotomy.

I just quoted the entire exchange in my post on the last page. Why are you lying about it?


Only, that's not the response I criticized. It was already clearly repeated in context earlier in the thread. Please pay more attention ?


You need to go back and reread what I wrote.

I quoted the post you linked and responded to that, then pointed out a second instance where you did the exact same thing about the iPad comparison.


IRONY ... you responded to something the other poster didn't actually claim. Maybe you are failing to attentively read what others post


Yet again, you're blaming me for your own failure to read.

Megaresp clearly cited the screen-dimming thing as a benefit of a tablet over a laptop:

I like the fact it's a 1/3rd the weight of my laptop, and takes up less than half the space in my bag. Especially when the tube is full and I can't get a seat.

Heh - another unexpected benefit of getting a tablet. Especially when reading this very forum late at night. The Atomic Web Browser can dim the screen down very low by darkening the colours (e.g. white becomes increasingly grey), which allows me to read in the dark without illuminating the entire room and disturbing Mrs Megaresp.

So he was pointing out that screen-dimming feature of a particular browser as an advantage of his iPad over a laptop. I responded to exactly what he claimed.

Why is it that every time I respond to you, it's for the purpose of correcting some idiotic misrepresentation of something I've said?
 
Last edited:
Adobe doesn't support Flash. First they killed it on mobile devices, and next will come desktops. Once HTML5 is the standard - which is only a matter of time now - Flash will have no reason to exist.


Flash provides some functionality that HTML5 cannot.
 
Can it be that you're actually failing to read the posts you're quoting?!?

Megaresp cited the screen-dimming thing as a benefit of a tablet over a laptop. He clearly said:

Yes, he clearly said:
can dim the screen down very low by darkening the colours

And you said:

Do you really think your iPad is the only device ever to have a screen-dimmer function?

Both the original poster and I thought it was clear you response was about dimming the screen brightness. ie the backlight.

Perhaps someone else reading the thread thinks you actually responded appropriately...
 
Last edited:
Yeah, everyone who responded pretty much had the same impression. Why are you trolling me?

Go bother somebody else, or better yet, get a life.
 
Er, I'm pretty sure all modern phones and tablets already do this.

Presumably by "modern phones" you mean smartphones rather than feature-phones or basic phones?

I didn't realize this was already common. I've never owned, or even used, a smartphone or tablet computer.
 
Last edited:
Megaresp cited the screen-dimming thing as a benefit of a tablet over a laptop

Over a laptop specifically? I don't think so. The size and weight of a tablet is an advantage in terms of lugging the thing from (for example) Wembley to Wimbledon on the tube during rush hour.

I referred to screen dimming as being an unexpected benefit when reading in bed, but in particular mentioned the addition dimming provided with Atomic Web Browser which throws even less light into the room.

My meaning - not specifically stated - is that I hadn't foreseen the usefulness of the device as a way to read in bed with the lights out - something I can't do with my Kindle for example.

But that's a pointless aside. The reason I posted in the first place was to counter the silly claim that a tablet isn't a serious work tool. And on that topic, a great benefit of a tablet over a laptop is its battery life. My Acer will run for 4-7 hours depending on what I'm doing with it. If I'm out all day I don't have to nurse the tablet or bring a charger (more weight and space).
 
Last edited:
Presumably by "modern phones" you mean smartphones rather than feature-phones or basic phones?

I didn't realize this was already common. I've never owned, or even used, a smartphone or tablet computer.

Yes, Smartphones. And yes, it's common. For example, my wife's Samsung Galaxy Ace has it. The phone was free on a £15/month contract so it can't be expensive relative to an S2 or iPhone 4s. She literally swapped her 'unsmart' phone and retained her existing plan's price, talk time and texts. She also got half a gig of bandwidth included too. Not a bad deal all things considered.

If you're interested in a smart phone and already on a monthly plan it's worth checking with your provider. You might be able to grab yourself a useful device without paying any more than you currently are. Or even reduce your monthly.
 
Over a laptop specifically? I don't think so.


Then what were you comparing the tablet to? If not your laptop, then what kind of device are you claiming the iPad has an advantage over?


The size and weight of a tablet is an advantage in terms of lugging the thing from (for example) Wembley to Wimbledon on the tube during rush hour.


You said:

I like the fact it's a 1/3rd the weight of my laptop, and takes up less than half the space in my bag. Especially when the tube is full and I can't get a seat.

Making a literal comparison to your laptop is a funny way to not make a comparison to your laptop.


The reason I posted in the first place was to counter the silly claim that a tablet isn't a serious work tool. And on that topic, a great benefit of a tablet over a laptop is its battery life. My Acer will run for 4-7 hours depending on what I'm doing with it. If I'm out all day I don't have to nurse the tablet or bring a charger (more weight and space).


But seriously, you code on that thing? I'm calling shenanigans on that.

I can understand using an iPad for browser testing, but I have a hard time believing a Web developer would do the majority of his programming work on a touchscreen tablet.
 
Last edited:
With the screen dimmed right down and using Mobile Safari it's too bright. The thing is essentially an inconveniently-shaped torch (aka flashlight).

Thanks to lousy sleep patterns I'm frequently on my iPad in the middle of the night. And several times I've forgotten to turn down the brightness before initially going to bed so when I turn it on in the middle of the night I've burned out my retinas and woken my wife.

Oh, and I also think the minimum brightness on the iPad could be a little bit less bright too.
 
I have done in the past, though obviously not using an iPad. And not recently. More recently I've had a few conversions from Flash to HTML.



Yes, and yes. It's a lot more effective than merely dimming the display, although I do that too.



I find it too bright with the lights out even dimmed right down. I do have very good night vision and am sensitive to light, so perhaps it's me. Also, we have blackout blinds in the bedroom so it's properly dark.

With the screen dimmed right down and using Mobile Safari it's too bright. The thing is essentially an inconveniently-shaped torch (aka flashlight).



Er, I'm pretty sure all modern phones and tablets already do this.

I find I have the same problem with my Windows tablet. It's a function of the screen contrast/brightness having to be high for the tablet to be usable in sunlight. My Android phone, coincidentally, suffers the same problem. Many a day have my eyes teared involuntarily from the brightness of the screen when just awakening.

As for the Windows OS...Windows 7 really is pretty well rounded. Far less clunky than XP Pro was (and without the issues of Vista). I properly enjoy that it's a full OS, so I have the full version of Microsoft Office loaded which I use to check work emails and such. I also like that it runs full Anti-Virus software.

As for the USB port, there are a number of devices that simply won't/can't connect any other way (the ECU in my car, the digital gauges in my car, my camera (iPad has a media card reader? No? too bad :() for example). USB is simply mandatory, and having to spend extra for that "luxury" is an example of how willingly people fall for the "Apple tax".

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what Apple has done for the market - which is make tablets more popular, which introduced an arms race amongst the manufacturers resulting in the newer tablets that are far more functional than tablets of yesteryear. That, however, doesn't mean that the iPad is the best tablet on the market (the popularity of the iPad is far more due to marketing hype than actual comparison to Android or Windows tablets).
 
Last edited:
Over a laptop specifically? I don't think so. The size and weight of a tablet is an advantage in terms of lugging the thing from (for example) Wembley to Wimbledon on the tube during rush hour.

I referred to screen dimming as being an unexpected benefit when reading in bed, but in particular mentioned the addition dimming provided with Atomic Web Browser which throws even less light into the room.

My meaning - not specifically stated - is that I hadn't foreseen the usefulness of the device as a way to read in bed with the lights out - something I can't do with my Kindle for example.

But that's a pointless aside. The reason I posted in the first place was to counter the silly claim that a tablet isn't a serious work tool. And on that topic, a great benefit of a tablet over a laptop is its battery life. My Acer will run for 4-7 hours depending on what I'm doing with it. If I'm out all day I don't have to nurse the tablet or bring a charger (more weight and space).
Basically, this. Apple, Android, Windows specifics aside, the functionality of a tablet is phenomenal in certain situations.

Like flying (as a passenger, or pilot), Field Service work, even working on my car in my garage it's simply more accessible to carry the tablet under the car with me (although I personally still prefer paper auto repair manuals...something about flipping through the pages just seems more convenient than searching through a PDF), or on road trips where my GF can adjust the tune on my car while I'm driving, or just a road trip where I don't want to lug around my big laptop.

There's plenty of functionality behind a tablet. I prefer Windows tablets because I prefer the full functionality of Windows (did I mention that Doom can be played on most Windows tablets?).
 
USB is simply mandatory, and having to spend extra for that "luxury" is an example of how willingly people fall for the "Apple tax".

Regarding "mandatory"', "I do not think that word means what you think it means". ;)

One way to test that theory would be to compare the number of Camera Connection Kits sold with the number of iPads sold. I know a lot of people with iPads, and very, very few have seen the need to rush out and buy the Camera Connection Kit. I'd say most don't even know whatbit is, nor could they comevup with a usecfor it. So, "mandatory"? Clearly not.

I bought one. I may find uses for it in the future, but for now it sits safely ensconced in a drawer, collecting dust.

Ubiquitous WiFi and the cloud really are rendering a lot of our cherished gadgets superfluous.

BTW, iPads and iPhones and iPods all do come with a USB cable. It's how you charge them and one way to synch with a computer. With a program like iPhone Explorer, you can futz around at the file level if so inclined. The cable is somewhat limited compared to a port, but it's not like Apple has completely abandoned USB (yet!)
 
Last edited:
...the popularity of the iPad is far more due to marketing hype than actual comparison to Android or Windows tablets).

Kinda like...

...the popularity of the VHS format is far more due to marketing hype than actual comparison to Beta.

I have a techie friend who worked extensively with video editing, and I'll bet thinking about the undeserved success of VHS over Beta in the marketplace still raises his blood pressure!
 
IIt's a lot more effective than merely dimming the display, although I do that too.


I find it too bright with the lights out even dimmed right down.

This may be a "duh" tip everyone knows, but...

...on the iPad you can go to "Settings...General...Accessibility". One of the options is "White on Black":

6779462490_d5117f107d_z.jpg


That may be worth a try.

Comments:

1) You can see in the above screenshot I have "White on Black" selected. For some reason the screen shot still saves the screen as normal "Black on White". Unexpected.

2) You can see at the bottom that you can select what a "triple-click" of the Home Button does. One option is "Ask...", which brings up this:

6779462662_2ebb4bb025_z.jpg


So switching to "White on Black" can be as simple as a "triple-click" of the home button.

3) To get those images embedded, I did screenshots (power and home buttons simultaneously), emailed them to myself, dragged them to iPhoto on my MacBook Pro, clicked "Flicker", then went to Flicker and copied the links and pasted them here. Sounds convoluted, but only takes a minute or so.
 
Last edited:
I have found good and bad things in IOS and Android, both have served me well.

As for Apple they make nice looking kit but nothing that is really technically better than aynthing else and have good marketing.

I work in IT support and like things about Apple and Non Apple stuff, not too keen on the company though a corporate shark if ever I saw one pretending to be the peoples freind
 
After some thousand or so posts on the subject, would it be fair to sum up the response to the OP as being, "Aside from stellar marketing there is nothing actually 'fantastic' about Apple."?

No. Every single thing about Apple is fantastic.

Everything.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom