• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

Sounds like you just want updates for the sake of updates. Most Android/Winmobile/BB users don't even know what version they're running, because they bought a smartphone, not a lifestyle.
 
Sounds like you just want updates for the sake of updates. Most Android/Winmobile/BB users don't even know what version they're running, because they bought a smartphone, not a lifestyle.

No, I just want updates for the sake of new features. And there are Android tablet users out there who want upgrades to ICS so hopefully their tablets could stop sucking.
 
Software, regardless of OS, will have some sort of minimum system requirements. Do you think Apple should only update iphone software if is capable of running on every iPhone ever made?

Not something I've given any thought as my response was to show how your claim was false.

I had a Droid X and eagerly awaited Motorola to push the latest versions of Android to the phone. It would take months after it was released for Motorola to do it. Lame.

Why? What feature stopped working on your phone when the latest version of the OS was released?

Anyway, back to how Apple is fantastic. looks like that iPad 3 will indeed raise the bar for screen resolution on a tablet! 4x the pixels of the iPad 2! Drool!

If your idea of what makes a company "fantastic" is that there is a rumour that the next iteration of a product might increase screen resolution - well all I can say is that you have a very different definition for the word "fantastic" than I.
 
A little off topic, but...

...the tech shows are in consensus that March 7 is the date Apple will be announcing something.

Leading contenders are:

1) the aforementioned iPad3 with possible upgrades to a retina display and faster processors and possibly Siri and cameras that no longer suck*.

2) something to do with Apple TV. This is fueled by the fact that the current Apple TV has been quietly pulled from the supply pipeline.

We spend about 75-80% of our time watching content through our AppleTV, mainly TWIT video podcasts and Netflix streaming. Throwing content from our iPads to the big screen gets used a lot, well beyond the "gimmick" level. Apparently the Apple TV already has a processor capable of running iOS5, so the ability to run apps would only take a software upgrade. If you could buy content via apps (MLB, HBO, network and cable feeds, etc.) that would allow us to finally ditch our DishNetwork, which we've already "shaved" down to about $30/mo.

Anyway, we, along with Apple fanboys and girls everywhere are eagerly awaiting March 7.

It's all just so FANTASTIC! :p

* the sucky cameras on Karen's iPad2 (mine's a 1 with no cameras) are not a major hindrance. They work borderline OK for FaceTime and Skype video calls. For photos and videos, we virtually always have our iPhones with us that DO have quality cameras built in.
 
Not something I've given any thought as my response was to show how your claim was false.



Why? What feature stopped working on your phone when the latest version of the OS was released?



If your idea of what makes a company "fantastic" is that there is a rumour that the next iteration of a product might increase screen resolution - well all I can say is that you have a very different definition for the word "fantastic" than I.

Jeez, Darat. When did you turn into a pedantic, humorless poster
?
 
...snip..

We spend about 75-80% of our time watching content through our AppleTV, mainly TWIT video podcasts and Netflix streaming. Throwing content from our iPads to the big screen gets used a lot, well beyond the "gimmick" level. Apparently the Apple TV already has a processor capable of running iOS5, so the ability to run apps would only take a software upgrade. If you could buy content via apps (MLB, HBO, network and cable feeds, etc.) that would allow us to finally ditch our DishNetwork, which we've already "shaved" down to about $30/mo.

Anyway, we, along with Apple fanboys and girls everywhere are eagerly awaiting March 7.

It's all just so FANTASTIC! :p

...snip...

I have looked at Apple TV a few times but so far not been impressed, although our TV is a DNLA set Sony aren't upgrading it so we use the XBox for Youtube and Netflix stuff and it's OK but a tad clunky. But if Apple up the Apple TV for the UK that would be very tempting - as long as I don't have to put all my media stuff thorough iTunes!

...snip..
* the sucky cameras on Karen's iPad2 (mine's a 1 with no cameras) are not a major hindrance. They work borderline OK for FaceTime and Skype video calls. For photos and videos, we virtually always have our iPhones with us that DO have quality cameras built in.
...snip...

Most folk I know don't really use the camera on their iPads, but they do on their phones. It's probably one of the things that we are stuck with because of "marketing" and tech reviewers rather than real need.
 
Last edited:
A little off topic, but...

...the tech shows are in consensus that March 7 is the date Apple will be announcing something.

Leading contenders are:

1) the aforementioned iPad3 with possible upgrades to a retina display and faster processors and possibly Siri and cameras that no longer suck*.

2) something to do with Apple TV. This is fueled by the fact that the current Apple TV has been quietly pulled from the supply pipeline.

We spend about 75-80% of our time watching content through our AppleTV, mainly TWIT video podcasts and Netflix streaming. Throwing content from our iPads to the big screen gets used a lot, well beyond the "gimmick" level. Apparently the Apple TV already has a processor capable of running iOS5, so the ability to run apps would only take a software upgrade. If you could buy content via apps (MLB, HBO, network and cable feeds, etc.) that would allow us to finally ditch our DishNetwork, which we've already "shaved" down to about $30/mo.

Anyway, we, along with Apple fanboys and girls everywhere are eagerly awaiting March 7.

It's all just so FANTASTIC! :p

* the sucky cameras on Karen's iPad2 (mine's a 1 with no cameras) are not a major hindrance. They work borderline OK for FaceTime and Skype video calls. For photos and videos, we virtually always have our iPhones with us that DO have quality cameras built in.

MacRumors got their hands on one of the new iPad 2 screens and under magnification they confirmed the much improved resolution. That's going to be fantastic when reading fine print especially for a comic geek like me.

They're saying it's a millimeter thicker to accommodate better cameras but like you said, they pretty much go unused anyway.

I'm guessing at the same event they will also introduce 1080P movies in the iTunes store (finally) and that the new Apple TV unit (retailers are running out of the old models) will support that as well. Sadly, I don't have a TV with a working HDMI input. That's so not fantastic. :(
 
Understood, but it is the future. Backwards compatibility only goes on for so long.

Google "HDMI converter" and see what might work.

Yeah, my TV is about five years old and only had one HDMI input. Fast forward two years when I actually had something to plug in to it I found out it's a defective jack and it's out of warranty.

I checked for some sort of HDMI converter but from what I gathered it's not that easy. Reviews for adapters are pretty bad both in terms of getting it to work and picture quality. I've had some success streaming through my PS3 and that'll tide me over until I get a new TV this year (I hope).
 
Hadn't seen this one yet:

http://3.asset.soup.io/asset/2947/2531_e906.jpeg

Funny, but the Linux one is the only completely true one.


Nowadays I usually end up investigating the latest release to see if it contains stuff that I even want before deciding whether to upgrade.

Several times in recent years I've become disappointed by an upgrade. The first time was when KDE4 originally came out and I hated it. There was no way to back-grade so I ended up reformatting my root partition and reinstalling a new distro from scratch. Then a couple years later I upgraded Ubuntu only to find it had installed a tablet/netbook interface ("Unity") by default. Then there are the persistent problems I always have with Banshee, so I keep having to uninstall that and install Clementine instead...

I tell you man, there just ain't no easy way.
 
A little off topic, but...

...the tech shows are in consensus that March 7 is the date Apple will be announcing something.

...

Anyway, we, along with Apple fanboys and girls everywhere are eagerly awaiting March 7.

It's all just so FANTASTIC! :p


Spending your entire life waiting around for magic dates when something—you don't even know what—is promised to "happen," that you're inevitably going to have to pay for...

Sounds to me like some kind of a cult.
 
Really?

Sounds like another opinionated, hasty generalization to me.

Well, of course it's an opinion, silly. But not hasty. I read reviews. I walk away with opinions. If I owned a Xyboard, for example, I'd be annoyed that I'd have to wait six months for the update that is supposed to make Android much more tablet friendly...

And it gets worse. My Xyboard, despite being announced just as Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) was being released, came with Android 3.2. And it won't get Ice Cream Sandwich until "Q3" (third quarter) of this year. If, in fact, Motorola doesn't delay the update (not unheard of in the annals of promised updates)..

I don't know if ICS would solve the performance problems, but it might at least be a start.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-5...on-apple-one-is-up-to-the-task/#ixzz1n2HYeYnm
 
I already told you, it was a hasty generalization that also begged the question of your own personal opinion.

Why was it hasty? Why was it a generalization? There are indeed Android users out there who would like an upgrade. I didn't say they all do.

Anyway...hey in related news RIM released an update to their BlackBerry PlayBook today. You can now get email on your tablet!
 

OK, let's see...

Hasty generalization usually shows this pattern.
A is X.
B is X.
C is X.
D is X.
Therefore, X is true in any cases.

I could totally see how what I wrote ("there are Android tablet users out there who want upgrades to ICS so hopefully their tablets could stop sucking.") fits that!

OK, not really. But I felt bad because you went to the trouble of linking to an article.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom