• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

C'mon John. Tackle post #858. I really want to pick up one of these tablets that's far less expensive and far more powerful than the iPad 2.
 
So you have a vested interest in promoting the company.

So much for objectivity.

I normally drop a disclaimer at some point if and when I am promoting Apple products.

While I don't know if my participation in this discussion could be considered "promoting", to the extent that I have without full disclosure is my bad.

It's not so much that I promote and like Apple products because I own some stock - per Peter Lynch I own the stock because I promote and like Apple products.

I've been in and out of Apple stock over the years, making a little, losing a little. But this last runup has been truly breathtaking!
 
C'mon John. Tackle post #858. I really want to pick up one of these tablets that's far less expensive and far more powerful than the iPad 2.


Actually, the competition has forced Apple's hand to close the hardware/price gap significantly with the iPad 2, but most of the competitors still generally offer more storage options (like multiple USB ports, SD card slots, etc.) and better cameras for the same price, and the Android OS offers far more flexibility and functionality with far fewer restrictions than iOS.

The iPad does come in an aluminum case with a nice suede finish, however.
 
Actually, the competition has forced Apple's hand to close the hardware/price gap significantly with the iPad 2, but most of the competitors still generally offer more storage options (like multiple USB ports, SD card slots, etc.) and better cameras for the same price, and the Android OS offers far more flexibility and functionality with far fewer restrictions than iOS.

The iPad does come in an aluminum case with a nice suede finish, however.

OK, so there isn't one. Thank you.

And the iPad 2 kept the same price points as the iPad 1. Y'know, the tablet that started the whole current tablet craze. They set the entry price at $500. Not their competition. You make it seem like the iPad had this higher price and they had to reduce it when the competition started making their copycat tablets.

And stay tuned for the iPad 3 in March. Should be pretty sweet! Looking forward to the benchmarks!
 
Quite with the strawman arguments. The number of USB ports is not the only consideration.

I showed where you get more for the same money with the competition's product. If you think a sandblasted aluminum case is worth sacrificing functionality and flexibility for, then go ahead and buy the Apple.
 
Last edited:
Quite with the strawman arguments. The number of USB ports is not the only consideration.

I showed where you get more for the same money with the competition's product. If you think a sandblasted aluminum case is worth sacrificing functionality and flexibility for, then go ahead and buy the Apple.

You complain about a strawman, then proceed offer a false dichotomy that you just poisoned the well against.
 
You complain about a strawman, then proceed offer a false dichotomy that you just poisoned the well against.


OK, "the competition" is admittedly not just one product. There are actually several competing tablets that offer better cameras, upgradable storage options, more flexibility and functionality than the Apple for the same price.

Is that better?
 
Ummm...

...show me where I even made an argument. :confused:


Your insinuation that the number of USB ports was my only consideration is the essence of your mockery.

It's especially disingenuous when one considers that the Apple iPad has zero USB ports, requiring the purchase of extraneous equipment to connect a USB device.

Your pretense of obtuse ignorance is not a good look.
 
Last edited:
Your insinuation that the number of USB ports was my only consideration is the essence of your mockery.

Yes, but mockery does not an argument make! :p

It's especially disingenuous when one considers that the Apple iPad has zero USB ports, requiring the purchase of extraneous equipment to connect a USB device.

Your pretense of obtuse ignorance is not a good look.

Yawn.
 
OK, "the competition" is admittedly not just one product. There are actually several competing tablets that offer better cameras, upgradable storage options, more flexibility and functionality than the Apple for the same price.

Is that better?

Ok, Android tablets have more ports (i wouldnt mind a card reader) and some have better cameras (never use it). iPad 2 has better battery life than many of them, many times as many apps (it's not even close), and graphic performance is often better even when up against tabs with faster processors.

And the ipad 2 is 11 months old. New one will once again be the fastest tablet unti the competitors catch up.

Plus it has that gorgeous case as John pointed out twice!
 
Ok, Android tablets have more ports (i wouldnt mind a card reader) and some have better cameras (never use it). iPad 2 has better battery life than many of them, many times as many apps (it's not even close), and graphic performance is often better even when up against tabs with faster processors.

And the ipad 2 is 11 months old. New one will once again be the fastest tablet unti the competitors catch up.

Plus it has that gorgeous case as John pointed out twice!

Apple is also more user friendly than the others. Hey, that's why they're fantastic!
 
oh, and when the iPhone or iPad's software is updated you'll get it that day instead of wondering "will my Android device ever be updated?" only to wait months and months before you get Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich...if you get it. muhahahhahaha!
 
Feel free to show Apple is actually doing something beyond writing a letter.
OK.

https://www.fairlabor.org/fla/Public/pub/Images_XFile/R514/Apple_Joins_FLA.pdf

January 13, 2012 - The Fair Labor Association today announced that Apple will join the FLA as a Participating Company, effective immediately. The FLA will independently assess facilities in Apple's supply chain and report detailed findings on the FLA website. Apple becomes the first technology company to join the Association as a Participating Company

Honestly, you apple haters make this too easy.

New articles related to topics that were discussed in this thread:

Apple Supplier Foxconn Raises Worker Pay at Chinese Plants

Foxconn Technology Group ...has raised worker wages by 16 to 25 percent, Reuters reported Friday.
...
The pay hike comes as the non-profit Fair Labor Association (FLA) this week began its tour of two Foxconn facilities in China at the request of Apple...


Oh what the hell, let's flog the horse a little more.

I'll be interested to see how this gets spun as anti-apple. Or if all the critics can now admit how fantastic apple is as a company, and how much more they are doing than any of their peers.
 
oh, and when the iPhone or iPad's software is updated you'll get it that day instead of wondering "will my Android device ever be updated?" only to wait months and months before you get Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich...if you get it. muhahahhahaha!

Or now...

...JELLY BEAN!!!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2501...erating_system_may_arrive_in_spring_2012.html

In part...

"Even though Ice Cream Sandwich just came out of its wrapper, the looming release of Windows 8 has supposedly inspired Google to speed up its release schedule. DigiTimes also cites the less-than-stellar adoption of Android 4.0 as an impetus to update but, when you consider that most Android phones don't even have Ice Cream Sandwich yet and that big delays for the upgrade are expected from manufacturers like Motorola, does that come as a surprise? Give the releases some time to breathe, Google."
 
OK, so there isn't one. Thank you.

And the iPad 2 kept the same price points as the iPad 1. Y'know, the tablet that started the whole current tablet craze. They set the entry price at $500. Not their competition. You make it seem like the iPad had this higher price and they had to reduce it when the competition started making their copycat tablets.

And stay tuned for the iPad 3 in March. Should be pretty sweet! Looking forward to the benchmarks!

Did Apple even have any competition when they designed/ released the iPad 2? I honestly can't remember another tablet from back then that didn't just immediately bomb - aside from the E-readers, which as I recall we're forced to drop prices to compete with the iPad.
 
At the risk of providing ammunition to John Albert, there's this, which I just posted to another site:


I bought my 15" MacBook Pro in January of 2009. Its still on the original battery. I doesn't hold much of a charge, but that hasn't mattered much since I'm usually plugged in at home, and now usually travel with my iPad instead.

Last night the trackpad started acting wonky - the slightest touch would register as a click, which was very frustrating. Had to dig out an old trackball and opened System Preferences and deselected "Tap to click", but the problem remained. Seemed to be something hardware related with the "clicking" part of the trackpad.

Google, as usual, was a great resource. I immediately found a couple YouTube videos about what the problem might be. One suggested that the battery could swell and press against the back of the trackpad causing exactly this symptom.

Pulled the battery and...

Viola!

That was, in fact, the problem. It appears to be common enough that I wanted to give you guys a head's up.

This is what it looks like (I copied and posted an online image that's almost identical to mine):

6902630697_fcc7df9980_z.jpg


So now I'm in the market for a new battery. $129 from Apple, closer to the $50 to $70 range for aftermarket. I asked this years ago when I needed a battery for my iBook, got good advice and went aftermarket and it worked just fine. Can anyone refer me to a specific computer battery source? The Apple part number on mine is A1281, and there are a lot listed on eBay.

Thanks!



So, I guess my theory that Apple's are perfect, never break, and a gift from God has been harpooned again! ;)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom