You're stretching my analogy past the breaking point. A Toyota engine won't even fit into a Ford car, but you can install Windows onto a Mac, and Mac OSX onto a non-Apple computer.
You can make anything fit into anything if you have a big enough hammer to screw the bolts in with.
http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/manualadapters.php
It can be done both ways, but why would Ford (or Toyota) want to do it?
Apples are the same hardware as any other computer, in a fancier box, and running a different OS. That's the only difference.
Yes, I know and have already agreed with this description.
I have a computer that runs Mac OS. It's not a Mac, but a computer I put together myself. I mainly use it for cross-platform software testing. By the same token, I could get a Mac and install Windows on it without having to make any modifications whatsoever.
Yes, I know.
Macs are the same machine as any other x86 computer. Don't let them tell you any different.
I'm not letting them (who ever "they" are) tell me anything.
Again, that analogy doesn't work with computers. When I initially mentioned it, I was merely pointing out that Apple's marketing-speak made as much sense as Ford saying that its SUVs aren't SUVs but everyone else's are. Apple's "Mac vs. PC" ads promoted an equivalent false impression.
No they didn't. Mac have always been and remain different from non Macs.
Apple is selling a Computer designed by Apple, with it's own OS pre-installed, it's the only computer manufacturer that does that. It's a USP. It's what distinguishes them from other computer manufacturers.
It was even more relevant when Apple ran the series of Mac v PC ads, because Macs were even more differenter than non Macs.
If Apple had simply ran ads that said "Buy an Apple computer" they would still have had to point out to people that Windows applications wouldn't run on it and I'm quite sure that some people would still be knocking them for that strategy too.
But I'm not saying I agree that making out like your competition are crap is a good strategy BTW. Apple would have been more ethical if they had simply concentrated in their strengths instead of adding fuel to the fire that had already been burning for years before they caught up and joined in (god, weren't the Apple marketing dept. slow to move on that one).
Personal computers, unlike automobiles, are all built on a standard hardware platform. Macs used to be built on a different platform, but doing things that way almost ruined the company. Now they're the same kind of machine as all the other companies are building, yet they've created a false impression that they're fundamentally different when they really aren't.
OK, let's refine the analogy a bit. The same manufacturer makes the same car on the same chassis, but with different options for different people's needs. Some have a more powerful engine for those who want to go fast, some have bigger space in the back because they have dogs, some are stripped down to basics for families on a budget and some are filled with all the extras.
When the marketing department come to advertise those (essentially the same car with different options), they highlight the different options to the people they are trying to sell that option to.
"If you want to go fast, you don't want the 1.6 standard, you want the 3.6iS"
"If you're doing a lot of miles, you don't want the gas guzzler, you want this one which is more economical"
"If you don't like what we sell, there are plenty of other dealerships in town"
If you want a computer that does exactly what a Mac does nothing more and nothing less, you'll be wanting a Mac. It may not be the fastest most powerful thing we've got in the showroom, but it's comfortable on long journeys.
Notice I'm not slagging off other computers or operating systems here.
I never said it was.
It may not necessarily be "evil," but that doesn't mean it's good to believe everything a company says in its marketing, without bothering to question or inquire into the actual facts.
Well I've been in the advertising and marketing industry a long time and I say
never believe anything that an advert says, be it implicit or explicit. They are nothing more than appeals to self authority.
As we both know, an advert is simply an anecdote and we both know that anecdotes are not evidence, they are just claims that need evidence to support them.
