• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

I disagree.

For less than the price of an iPad2, I can score a Windows Tablet that runs a full operating system. With faster processor and more RAM (granted, it's needed to run Windows 7...but still...imagine if the iPad had the same specs) (same HDD size).

Chalk the extra $150 on top of what you'd pay for the Windows tablet to the Apple tax.

ETA:


iPad 2 (32GB) ($749) (1024x768 9.7" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858753070

MSI Windpad (32GB) ($599) (1280x800 10.1" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152278

Acer Iconia (32GB) ($519) (1280x800 10.1" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215081

ETA2: And if you want to really get into it, we could start adding Android Tablets to the mix:

ASUS Transformer (32GB) ($499) (1280x800 10.1" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230217

Samsung Galaxy Tab (32GB) ($549) (1280x800 10.1" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131139

Motorola Xoom (32GB) ($349 refurbished) (1280x800 10.1" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834209002

Excellent selection. We now have some machines and prices.

Now to the question of whether any of them are overpriced.

To get to the heart of the matter, the specification of what's inside is largely irrelevant to the question of whether something is overpriced (unless you are comparing e-penises). If I created a tablet device powered by shrunken drug-crazed minks, that produced a tablet that meets the claims I make of its utility and warranty, people will buy if *if the price is right*.

People will not, however, continue to buy it if the outcomes claimed are not met in their use of the device. A product that continues to sell well is not overpriced. "More expensive" is not a synonym for "overpriced" in the IT or any other market.

Check the reviews for the devices in the quoted post - it makes for interesting reading regarding utility and warranty (value) versus price.
 
Laptops are always getting smaller,
Customer: I want a much smaller laptop but it needs to have a 17" screen.

Customer: I want a thinner laptop but it needs to have an optical drive.

and lighter.
Customer: I want a laptop with a built in Zippo.

There's nothing new or revolutionary about that.
What amused me slightly was that devices were getting smaller (mobile phones for instance), until they were so small that people couldn't use them anymore. The finger pads were too small for most adults and their extremely small size (especially the flip phones) meant people lost them very easily and you couldn't hold them to your ear whilst the microphone was close to your mouth. Enter the 'smart phone', bigger and better (apparently).

I never bought a smart phone but I did like the iTouch so I've got one of those and was further amused when Apple decided to make a giant one.

:)
 
I disagree.

For less than the price of an iPad2, I can score a Windows Tablet that runs a full operating system. With faster processor and more RAM (granted, it's needed to run Windows 7...but still...imagine if the iPad had the same specs) (same HDD size).

Chalk the extra $150 on top of what you'd pay for the Windows tablet to the Apple tax.

ETA:


iPad 2 (32GB) ($749) (1024x768 9.7" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858753070

MSI Windpad (32GB) ($599) (1280x800 10.1" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152278

Acer Iconia (32GB) ($519) (1280x800 10.1" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215081

ETA2: And if you want to really get into it, we could start adding Android Tablets to the mix:

ASUS Transformer (32GB) ($499) (1280x800 10.1" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230217

Samsung Galaxy Tab (32GB) ($549) (1280x800 10.1" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131139

Motorola Xoom (32GB) ($349 refurbished) (1280x800 10.1" display)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834209002

Ipad2 starts at 499 and you can get a 32 gb wifi only model for 599. But of course you'll pick the more expensive ones to make your point.

And are you kidding with that Windows tablet?! Twice as thick, plastic, and the reviews range from crap to mediocre.
 
I don't believe such a company would ever become successful by doing that, though. Being a parasitic business model and then eventually killing off its own host? Not a good move.


Not necessarily, that's pretty much what Microsoft did when it came out with MS-DOS as an alternative to PC-DOS.

Of course, Microsoft also owned PC-DOS, but they'd exclusively leased it to IBM, so it wasn't much different than if IBM owned it outright. Nowadays, how many computers does IBM still manufacture?
 
I never bought a smart phone but I did like the iTouch so I've got one of those and was further amused when Apple decided to make a giant one.


I think the larger smartphones (like the THC Evo or the HTC Thunderbolt, or the Samsung Infuse) are just about the right size. If you've got to use a touchscreen, you're going to want the biggest one you can get while still having a phone that fits comfortably in your hand and pocket.

The only real gripe I have about my phone is that it's a little on the small side, and I wish it could be faster (4G) without my having to pay extra for a premium service. Other than that, it's just about the perfect mobile device. It does everything I could ever need it to, plus 100X more.

I also think the tablet craze is kind of silly. The form factor is just not practical. I'll take a small laptop or netbook with a full OS on which I can be really productive, over some stupid toy any day.
 
I also think the tablet craze is kind of silly. The form factor is just not practical. I'll take a small laptop or netbook with a full OS on which I can be really productive, over some stupid toy any day.

Taking a break from the pro-Apple, anti-Apple debate...

I got a tablet as a gift. Didn't think I'd use it and now I use it 90% of the time when using a computer. They're perfect when you're lying in bed, for reading a book (not outside though), games are fun and cheap, great for surfing the web...love it. My all time favorite electronic device.

It really is a device for consuming rather than producing. Doing a spreadsheet on it is incredibly aggravating.

Ok, back to the Apple defending/bashing.
 
Not necessarily, that's pretty much what Microsoft did when it came out with MS-DOS as an alternative to PC-DOS.

Of course, Microsoft also owned PC-DOS, but they'd exclusively leased it to IBM, so it wasn't much different than if IBM owned it outright. Nowadays, how many computers does IBM still manufacture?

IBM isn't dead yet. Far from it in fact. IBM got out of the home personal computer market several years ago, but they lord over an increasing share(37%) of the server market. That's pretty impressive for just one company.

Also, IBM has more patents than any other company. It continues to make money off of licensing its hardware, and various IT services for businesses. They continue to invent and innovate, just not things that are clearly visible on the mass consumer market. It's funny when people talk about IBM as if it has become irrelevant or it's a mere footnote in the history of computers. IBM won't win any beauty contests like Apple, but it's still a big player, just not as influential as it used to be.
 
Last edited:
I also think the tablet craze is kind of silly. The form factor is just not practical. I'll take a small laptop or netbook with a full OS on which I can be really productive, over some stupid toy any day.


I think it's agreed that for content production, a laptop or desktop clearly wins.

For content consumption, which is what a bunch of people mostly use their devices for, a tablet is perfectly acceptable.

As one example where tablets shine as tools, not toys, is in aviation. Yes, I suppose a laptop could have been marshalled to store all the requisite charts and manuals an airliner needs, but it was the tablet and it's form factor that made the inroads. A tablet loaded with WingX7 Pro makes a perfect kneeboard in a small plane, where laptops have always been awkward.

In any case, neither form factor should be dismissed out of hand. They both have their place.
 
Last edited:
I think it's agreed that for content production, a laptop or desktop clearly wins.

For content consumption, which is what a bunch of people mostly use their devices for, a tablet is perfectly acceptable.

As one example where tablets shine as tools, not toys, is in aviation. Yes, I suppose a laptop could have been marshalled to store all the requisite charts and manuals an airliner needs, but it was the tablet and it's form factor that made the inroads. A tablet loaded with WingX7 Pro makes a perfect kneeboard in a plane, where laptops have always been awkward.

In any case, neither form factor should be dismissed out of hand. They both have their place.

Agreed.

I actually have 2 laptops (my old one is used by my GF, my current one I use for work/leisure) and 2 tablets (Windpad is used for tuning my car along with travel (because it's full windows, I can be nearly as productive as on a laptop...typing is a bit more of a pain though) and the 7" Iconia is used as a GPS in my car on roadtrips because the 10" is just too big/drains too much battery to do that effectively). The tablet does have it's place.
 
IBM isn't dead yet. Far from it in fact.

You missed the point, I wasn't saying that IBM was out of business, just that it's not in the business of manufacturing PCs, especially PCs with an operating system exclusively available with IBM manufactured machines. IBM was a major company long before computers were even invented, there is no reason for it to go out of business because of this.

If Apple stopped selling Macs, it wouldn't be out of business either. It'd still be selling iPods, iPhones, etc.

ETA: My point being that this didn't hurt sales of Microsoft's MS-DOS.
 
Last edited:
Ipad2 starts at 499 and you can get a 32 gb wifi only model for 599. But of course you'll pick the more expensive ones to make your point.

And are you kidding with that Windows tablet?! Twice as thick, plastic, and the reviews range from crap to mediocre.

What part of comparable specs did you miss?

And if you want to talk about reviews of Windows tablets, you'll have to include the ones that explain that while it's not the media center the iPad is, it's certainly easier to be productive on because they run full versions of Windows.

And let's just ignore that the Android tablets are just as good at media (angry birds, et al) as the iPad while costing significantly less for similar specs.
 
What part of comparable specs did you miss?

Then why did you choose the 3G iPad to compare against devices that are wifi only. You should have compared them with the wifi only iPad which is $130 cheaper.

But I guess you wanted to jack up the price so you could use your "apple tax" line.
 
Apple good for you. Apple fantastic but one a day. That is what's so good about Apple. Eat one today. The End.
 
Not necessarily, that's pretty much what Microsoft did when it came out with MS-DOS as an alternative to PC-DOS.

Of course, Microsoft also owned PC-DOS, but they'd exclusively leased it to IBM, so it wasn't much different than if IBM owned it outright. Nowadays, how many computers does IBM still manufacture?


I thought Microsoft bought QDOS, renamed it MS-DOS, then presented it to IBM, which in turn renamed it PC-DOS.
 
Then why did you choose the 3G iPad to compare against devices that are wifi only. You should have compared them with the wifi only iPad which is $130 cheaper.

But I guess you wanted to jack up the price so you could use your "apple tax" line.

Nope, that was the only one I could find on Newegg that was 32GB. *shrug*

ETA: And the Acer, Samsung, Asus, and Motorola tablets are all still less expensive than the 32GB Apple iPad 2 without 3G. Some by $50, some by $100 (ruling out Motorola because the price I found is refurbished). And most have bigger screens with higher resolutions (due, in part, to the larger screens).

All the others tablets? They have USB ports. How many does the iPad have? 0
And what about RAM? How much does the iPad have? 512MB. Most of the other tablets have 1GB, some 2GB.
 
Last edited:
Nope, that was the only one I could find on Newegg that was 32GB. *shrug*

ETA: And the Acer, Samsung, Asus, and Motorola tablets are all still less expensive than the 32GB Apple iPad 2 without 3G. Some by $50, some by $100 (ruling out Motorola because the price I found is refurbished). And most have bigger screens with higher resolutions (due, in part, to the larger screens).

All the others tablets? They have USB ports. How many does the iPad have? 0
And what about RAM? How much does the iPad have? 512MB. Most of the other tablets have 1GB, some 2GB.

And yet with less RAM the iPad 2 "leaves them in the dust"...

http://tablet-news.com/2011/09/12/i...benchmark-tests-galaxy-s-ii-left-in-the-dust/

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-transformer-prime-vs-ipad-2-benchmark-tests-01199285/

And if you read most tablet reviews they usually say how they're good but they're stii not up to par with the iPad. I'm sure that will change very soon as they finally catch up but many of the Android "iPad killers" fell flat.
 
Just the fact that most of the new Android tablets support Flash out of the box leaves the iPads in the dust. I have an office notebook for work, and my Sony tablet is my home notebook replacement. It may be priced similarly to the iPad2, but the more ergonomic form factor and extra features (USB port, SD card slot, DNLA support, IR remote etc.) made it worth the price.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom