• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

I never argued otherwise, did I?
I was agreeing with you.

Those just aren't the lifestyle choices I choose to make. In my opinion, status symbols are suckerbait for small-minded, impractical douchebags with small penises.
Lifestyle choices about who chooses what are bit "Meh" to me... especially when their choices don't effect me in any way... But nice poisoning the well there. ;)
 
What about them? They're an obvious reference to the Apple attack ads. So what?

The fact that you're finger-pointing at Microsoft as a defense perfectly illustrates my observation that so many Mac apologists exhibit the same false duality between Apple and "PC" (a.k.a. Microsoft). You guys need to recognize all that marketing nonsense for the BS that it is.

A Mac is just another PC in a fancier cabinet, running a different OS, that costs you twice as much money.
The point is this:

Either Microsoft was not smart enough to realize they were letting Apple frame the debate with those ads, or they agreed with the characterization, choosing to spin it in their favor.
 
Last edited:
I was agreeing with you.


Lifestyle choices about who chooses what are bit "Meh" to me... especially when their choices don't effect me in any way... But nice poisoning the well there. ;)


Sorry, I was trying to figure out what you were getting at with that post.

I'm just not into conspicuous consumerism at all, but I certainly don't make a lifestyle out of buying everything on the cheap, either. For me, it's not about status or brand-loyalty at all. Apart from laptops, I've only bought one pre-built computer in the last 20 years, and I chose that one because it had all the specs and features I wanted.

When I'm in the market for some highly technical product like a computer, I do my homework, weigh the options, and then buy the machine that I feel will best fit my needs going forward as far into the future as I can project. Toward that purpose, I've found that Apple never offers the absolute best available specs on anything they sell, and for roughly the same price I'd pay for one of their machines, I can get fer greater performance and features elsewhere.


The point is this:

Either Microsoft was not smart enough to realize they were letting Apple frame the debate with those ad responses, or they agreed with the characterization, choosing to spin it in their favor.


Who cares what Microsoft was doing? This thread is not about Microsoft!

The fact that you guys keep dragging Microsoft into it just proves my point about you Apple fanboys and your obsession with that totally false Mac/"PC" dichotomy!
 
Last edited:
I never argued otherwise, did I?

Those just aren't the lifestyle choices I choose to make. In my opinion, status symbols are suckerbait for small-minded, impractical douchebags with small penises.

oh dear - we've "penised" a thread. A veritable genital Godwin....
 
oh dear - we've "penised" a thread. A veritable genital Godwin....


Lemme fix that...


Those just aren't the lifestyle choices I choose to make. In my opinion, status symbols are suckerbait for small-minded, impractical douchebags with small penises major inferiority complexes.


There you go.

Feel better now, without that big, bad, scary, dirty word violating your poor little virgin ears?
 
Sorry, I was trying to figure out what you were getting at with that post.
No problem :)

I'm just not into conspicuous consumerism at all, but I certainly don't make a lifestyle out of buying everything on the cheap, either. For me, it's not about status or brand-loyalty at all. Apart from laptops, I've only bought one pre-built computer in the last 20 years, and I chose that one because it had all the specs and features I wanted.
I'm the same in a lot of ways. I buy what I want, not because of brand loyalty or as a status symbol (my Macs never leave the house and I live mostly as a recluse so it's not like they are there for 'image' or anything, I do have a Macbook too but even that rarely leaves the house as I usually just transfer the work I need onto a cheap USB stick). I don't have Apple stickers on any of my possessions or go around talking about 'my Mac'. I don't own an iPad or iPhone (my cell phone is the cheapest possible and hasn't even got a camera in it, all it does is make/receive calls and send/receive texts).
I do have a few iPods kicking around and an iTouch I use at our gigs to provide background music for the PA system. Relatively old and small capacity and hardly status symbols.

Probably the only 'status symbol' I've ever bought just for show was the Hearse I used to drive 18 years ago... but even that was more an anti-status symbol even though it was all about image and absolutely nothing to do with practicality. :D
 
Dude, if you don't calm down you're head's gonna explode. LOL

Enough with the accusations of everyone who disagrees with you being an irrational Apple fanboi. Your hatred of Apple is the real topic of the thread and it shouldn't be.
 
The point is this:

Either Microsoft was not smart enough to realize they were letting Apple frame the debate with those ads, or they agreed with the characterization, choosing to spin it in their favor.


Perhaps they simply thought (mistakenly) such an ad campaign would have little material impact on their market share. Success can breed a certain amount of complacency.
 

Actually, I didn't make an argumentum ad populum. I just said, as a side note, that I thought making a bald assertion about marketing was crap.
Apples consistent economic performance, it's no 1. customer satisfaction ratings, etc all inductively support the assertion that apple makes good products, and it's more than marketing. *shrugs*
 
Last edited:
Probably because, if you're computer-literate enough to get a Hackintosh running, you won't need or want to use it.

I don't understand.

Why not? I had a hackintosh netbook that I thought scratched a very nice itch for small portable mac.

Am I not computer literate enough to work in the IT field I work in or something ?
 
This particular thread happens to be about Apple, which sells its OS pre-installed on vastly overpriced hardware designed by fashionistas, and why so many of its users feel it's so great when in fact it's just another tech company that engages in some extraordinarily deceptive business and marketing practices.

Glad to see you are making sound arguments, not just ranting ... :rolleyes:
 
Like I said - outmoded business model. It might have worked 30+ years ago but times have changed.

In my limited world, fwiw, the only people still clinging to iPhones are the fanbois who just want Apple everything. Everyone else I know are ditching iPhones for Android handsets, especially after the let down of the last iPhone release when everyone was expecting the iPhone 5 and instead just got a re-released 4 w/ Siri. And why wouldn't you when you can get dual-core handsets for much less than the crappy single core iPhones but can do everything and much, much more than the iPhone?

Seriously, if you are doing more than trolling, please go back and address my first response to you.
 
"Overpriced" is not just an opinion. It's a demonstrable fact.

I suppose it depends on how you define overpriced. I think if you define it in a way that applies to enough apple products, you've made the word meaningless.

But, I'd like to see you try. Define overpriced. Then she me how the iphone is overpriced. Show me how the ipod touch is overpriced. Show me how the macbook air is overpriced. It should be easy, right ?
 
All you need to do is go to the Apple website, price their computers, mp3 players, tablets, peripherals, accessories, etc., and then compare those prices to the prices of comparable products made by the competition, while resisting the urge to make a special pleading in favor of the Apple Corporation.
 
All you need to do is go to the Apple website, price their computers, mp3 players, tablets, peripherals, accessories, etc., and then compare those prices to the prices of comparable products made by the competition, while resisting the urge to make a special pleading in favor of the Apple Corporation.

...in simpler words: PC Computers are under-priced: Apple Computers are priced correctly.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom