• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

I'm watching the Daily Show on my phone that I downloaded with a torrent straight to the phone, or alternatively I can stream torrents from my PC to my phone. Can iPhones do that, just out of interest?

Yes on the torrents (iTransmission) and yes on the video as long as it's in compliance with the right video codec (H.246 or mpeg-4).
 
Not anymore. Apple shut down the only one that I'm aware of (iVLC or whatever the VLC for ipad/iphone) app was called). It was a freebie in Apples App Store but it went away fairly soon afterwards and there hasn't been a replacement that I've heard of. Just another case of Apple forcing people to do things Apples way.
 
I love my Nexus S :D

I'm glad too that when i got a smartphone that I got a Samsung, not because I have any particular affiliation with the brand but rather that they are the target of Apple's vile campaign against android, which Jobs famously vowed to destroy. They actually litigated top stop Galaxy Tabs from being sold here in Australia! I don't think you can legally buy one here even now
icon13.gif


For that alone I'm happy to be giving them my hard earned dollars. What piece of work that man was, makes Bill Gates look ethical :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
My entire music collection is on iTunes because it makes no sense to split it across multiple applications. 90% of it is from CDs. Works fine. End of story.


What do you mean by "split [your music collection] across multiple applications"?

That concept makes no sense. Your music collection does not reside within any application or other. Your music collection is an assortment of audio files residing on your hard drive.
 
Other stores, such as Alltell, AT&T, and Verizon require the owner or someone on the account to bring the phone in. Apparently with Apple you just need to have the phone.


But what you don't seem to understand is that it's not just any phone, it's an iPhone!

The needs of the iPhone outweigh the needs of the customer. IPhone owners come and go, but the iPhone is an enduring work of art that transcends mere philistine notions of "ownership."

That might not make any sense to you, but the employees at the Apple Store understand it because they're certified Apple Geniuses™.
 
What piece of work that man was, makes Bill Gates look ethical :rolleyes:

Indeed. Regardles of what Apple products are, it's really very disappointing to see that so many people consider Jobs to be something like a God. His whole attitude was vomit-inducing.
 
I love my Nexus S :D

I'm glad too that when i got a smartphone that I got a Samsung, not because I have any particular affiliation with the brand but rather that they are the target of Apple's vile campaign against android, which Jobs famously vowed to destroy. They actually litigated top stop Galaxy Tabs from being sold here in Australia! I don't think you can legally buy one here even now [qimg]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif[/qimg]

For that alone I'm happy to be giving them my hard earned dollars. What piece of work that man was, makes Bill Gates look ethical :rolleyes:

I presume you can now, since I saw an ad for the new Samsung Tab earlier today.
 
Not anymore. Apple shut down the only one that I'm aware of (iVLC or whatever the VLC for ipad/iphone) app was called). It was a freebie in Apples App Store but it went away fairly soon afterwards and there hasn't been a replacement that I've heard of. Just another case of Apple forcing people to do things Apples way.

I got curious and things have changed a bit since I last looked at this a few months ago. iVLC for iOS is available again from the VLC website:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

Better grab it while you can...
 
What do you mean by "split [your music collection] across multiple applications"?

That concept makes no sense. Your music collection does not reside within any application or other. Your music collection is an assortment of audio files residing on your hard drive.

hey, I'm only commenting on the talking points raised earlier in the thread.

Anyhoo, it's not unusual for people to get it wrong and actually have more than one digital asset management tool to manage their stuff. Yes, it's wrong, but people are wrong on the internet every day...
 
I'm watching the Daily Show on my phone that I downloaded with a torrent straight to the phone, or alternatively I can stream torrents from my PC to my phone. Can iPhones do that, just out of interest?

Yes and yes.

The former is easier with a jail broken phone.
 
Not anymore. Apple shut down the only one that I'm aware of (iVLC or whatever the VLC for ipad/iphone) app was called). It was a freebie in Apples App Store but it went away fairly soon afterwards and there hasn't been a replacement that I've heard of. Just another case of Apple forcing people to do things Apples way.

Thats not the case at all. Apple didn't have a problem with what the app did. But developers were feuding with each other and they (the developers)pulled it.

There are several AVI players in the App Store.
 
The fact that you consider the Mac to be a better tool for your work might make the price difference irrelevant. But tax deductibility wouldn't.
You see, this is part of the problem I have with this thread.
First people trying to tell me that my choice is not as good as theirs and now apparently I'm being told that what's irrelevant to me is wrong too. :rolleyes:

As I pointed out originally, the tax portion of my reasoning is only a part of my choice. Overall considering my situation, the tax deductability of my Macs is relevant to me. :)
 
It's like we read completely different articles.

This was the point of the article:



Other stores, such as Alltell, AT&T, and Verizon require the owner or someone on the account to bring the phone in. Apparently with Apple you just need to have the phone.

Even if this next bolded part is completely made up as you suggest, that still doesn't mean the above isn't true as well.

But taking the information from the article, it is clear that as the original and rightful owner gets a notification email from Apple, you've got to wonder if anyone has actually got away with using Apple stores to fence their stolen goods. The article you linked doesn't approach that obvious factor making this:
"The ease of trading in stolen iPhones and selling their replacements makes them nearly as tempting as grabbing cash".
At the moment, unevidenced.
 
That's fine for you, but not everyone wants to do that. The owner of the device sometimes has this odd idea that they should be able to use it the way they want to. Apple does not serve such people well.
I know exactly what you mean, I bought an electric oven recently and imagine my surprise and disappointment when I got it home and found out I couldn't simply connect it to my gas supply. :D
 
I know exactly what you mean, I bought an electric oven recently and imagine my surprise and disappointment when I got it home and found out I couldn't simply connect it to my gas supply. :D

Do Apple fans really think like this? :confused:

No wonder steve jobs got so rich
 
Do Apple fans* really think like this? :confused:

No wonder steve jobs got so rich
asterisk added

Well apart from the fact that I'm not an "Apple fan", I'm a Mac user, do non Mac users* have a sense of humour vacuum?

You know what this guy ':D' means right? :)



*sweeping generalisation alert
 
I love my Nexus S :D

I'm glad too that when i got a smartphone that I got a Samsung, not because I have any particular affiliation with the brand but rather that they are the target of Apple's vile campaign against android, which Jobs famously vowed to destroy. They actually litigated top stop Galaxy Tabs from being sold here in Australia! I don't think you can legally buy one here even now [qimg]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif[/qimg]

For that alone I'm happy to be giving them my hard earned dollars. What piece of work that man was, makes Bill Gates look ethical :rolleyes:
They're using all their resources to protect their IP. The lesson Jobs learned from when Microsoft took over the consumer PC market was to defend your IP.

I know sometimes when we have techno-lust for a gadget and can't get it, we don't care why it might be unavailable to us.

We just want it.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom