The point is that I end up with something that actually does exactly what I want it to do and it reduces my tax liability. The more I spend purchasing it, the less income tax I have to pay.
Yes I could buy a PC for much less, but then (in theory*) I'd have more income tax to pay
and be left with a computer that didn't do exactly what I wanted it to do.
*What would happen in reality would be that I wasn't able to do my work properly and I'd earn less, have to work more hours to make it up, and because I charge an hourly rate, I'd be deemed too expensive for the people I freelance for and I'd end up unemployable with a computer that didn't do what I needed it to do... No, thanks I'm on easy street, even on my busy weeks I only work about 20 hours a week to earn a good living, I'd like the stay here.
I think you're wrong about non-Macs being incapable of performing the same tasks your Macs can do. I use Mac OSX, Windows and Linux at home on a regular basis (and even OpenBSD on occasion, in the role of file servers). The differences between Mac OS and Windows are not so great as you might think. I've run many of the same apps that you appear to use (Photoshop, Illustrator, Poser, Maya 3D, etc.) and they really do run
exactly the same under Windows as they do under MacOS.
That
used to not be the case. There was a time, 10-15 years ago, when rendering a complex, print-ready graphic in Illustrator was next to impossible in Windows, and opening a true-color 12 X 18" 300 dpi file with more than a few layers in Photoshop would crash Windows before the image even displayed onscreen. Of course Macs used to crash too back then, but Windows machines were far worse with most graphics apps.
When I first went back to college to learn computer graphics, I was using Photoshop on the Macs at school, then coming home and completing my homework in Paint Shop Pro because I couldn't get P-shop to run well on my crappy little Pentium computer. Adobe simply hadn't yet worked out how to best implement the proper functionality using the Intel instruction set, and my home computer was so slow that running those programs was just hopeless.
But today's Intel-based Macs are essentially no different, hardware-wise, from any other PC. They use the same kinds of processors, the same RAM, the same motherboard chipsets, the same I/O controllers and data buses, the same kinds of sound and video hardware that any other PC does. You could install Windows onto a Mac right out of the box, if you so desired. Just the same, you can install Mac OSX on any PC, provided your hardware has compatible drivers.
The
only difference is the OS software, and the PC versions of graphics programs work exactly the same as the Mac versions, and are every bit as fast and reliable. I've even played around with Maya under Linux, and it works great! Hell, I've even turned out some fine, professional quality work using The GIMP and Inkscape (in the place of P-shop and Illustrator) when working for an employer who was in litigation with Adobe over a licensing dispute.
At this stage of the game, it's all a matter of preference. I'm familiar with graphics work, and I've seen the magic you're capable of, in just a few minutes with the right graphics apps. Rest assured, you could be just as profitable on a Windows box as you are on a Mac. (Not that I'm trying to get you to switch, mind you!)