• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Newt wins South Carolina

I just read an article that mentioned one of the reasons he won SC is because of Tea Party support. What do they see in him--I thought they were against Washington insiders? Anyone have any ideas?

I think you are assigning rationality that doesn't necessarily exist to the Tea Partiers.
 

I can certainly understand that sentiment, and to a certain extent I agree with it. However, there's a side of me which really would rather see Romney win the GOP nod, because of all the Republican candidates he strikes me as the least nutty and dangerous.

If something really awful happens in the next 9 months, and the economy goes completely to hell in a handbasket, then Obama's chances of re-election will plummet. And, under those circumstances, I would much rather have Romney in the WH than Gingrich.
 
And Conservatives figure that if Newt gets the nomination, he will destroy Obama in all debates, and may win no matter what the economy does.

Romney? You can have him. I and I suspect many others see little difference between him and Obama.
 
I can certainly understand that sentiment, and to a certain extent I agree with it. However, there's a side of me which really would rather see Romney win the GOP nod, because of all the Republican candidates he strikes me as the least nutty and dangerous.

I certainly don't want Newt to win the GOP nomination, but I don't think that's very likely. I'm pulling for Newt at this point only so that when Romney gets the nomination he'll be that much more damaged goods for the general election.

But I agree, Romney is the only one of the pack that I could see actually being the POTUS--not that I'd be happy about it.
 
And Conservatives figure that if Newt gets the nomination, he will destroy Obama in all debates, and may win no matter what the economy does.

I think that's evidence that those conservatives are out of touch with the country at large.

But what do I know? I never thought Dubya would win back in 2000.
 
If Newt gets the nomination, does anyone give him much of a chance? At my more fearful moments, I worry he could go all the way but then I try to think mote rationally and he would just hand the moderates to Obama.
 
I think that's evidence that those conservatives are out of touch with the country at large.

But what do I know? I never thought Dubya would win back in 2000.

Conservatives think that Barack Obama is a stupid person who only got where he is because he's black (see 400 years of American history to see how black men get everything they want in America). In fact, Obama was an affirmative action student who was handed the Harvard Law Review position because of white guilt. In fact, that's why he was elected. White guilt. In fact, Obama can't even speak without a teleprompter. Ergo, Newton Leroy Gingrich would clean his clock in a debate because Newt is a man of ideas.

Wow, just typing that makes me realize how crazy conservatives have become.
 
And Conservatives figure that if Newt gets the nomination, he will destroy Obama in all debates, and may win no matter what the economy does.

Romney? You can have him. I and I suspect many others see little difference between him and Obama.
I don't buy these distinctions. I honestly don't think either give a ****. Both are happy to go against conservative conventional wisdom when it suits them. This BS about what it means to be conservative is an illusion. Gingrich was happy to sit down with Pelosi and also happy to question Paul Ryan's plan for fundamentally changing medicare and then turning 180 degrees when those moves bit him in the ass. I've little respect for Santorum but his appraisal of Newt during the last debate was so astute and spot on I was taken aback. Newt is by no means stable or principled. Now, I don't at all mind changing ones mind in the face of reason and self examination. However, doing so simply because of public condemnation is rather shallow.

BTW: if Gingrich is a true Conservative, why the attack on Romney's work at Bain Capital? I think most intellectually honest liberals would admit that from a conservative POV venture capitalism is fundamentally in keeping with fiscal conservatism. Never mind the attacks against Romney's association with Bain don't hold water.

That said, perception is reality. Can Gingrich sell himself as the true Conservative and Romney as the wimpy moderate? Damn straight he can. Look at SC.
 
Last edited:
And Conservatives figure that if Newt gets the nomination, he will destroy Obama in all debates, and may win no matter what the economy does.

Gingrich's one debate rule appears to be simply combining being gratuitously rude, punishingly arrogant and intensely ugly. He then sits back and takes the positive reaction he receives from right wing conservatives as affirmation that he is a brilliant debater.

On a national stage, the calm, measured and cerebral Obama will look just that next to a opponent who appears to be foaming at the mouth.
 
Gingrich's one debate rule appears to be simply combining being gratuitously rude, punishingly arrogant and intensely ugly. He then sits back and takes the positive reaction he receives from right wing conservatives as affirmation that he is a brilliant debater.

On a national stage, the calm, measured and cerebral Obama will look just that next to a opponent who appears to be foaming at the mouth.

In the mind of a right wing zealot "destroy" means exactly what you described - being loud and abrasive - and has nothing to do with actually being correct or consistent.
 
In the mind of a right wing zealot "destroy" means exactly what you described - being loud and abrasive - and has nothing to do with actually being correct or consistent.
His moral outrage in SC is demonstrative of the vacuous nature of his rhetoric. Given his attack on Clinton for the Lewinski affair it's rather hypocritical to demand that claims of a sexual nature against him are inappropriate to bring up. Personally I think it makes him look like a douche but hey, I'm not a Conservative. What the hell do I know. Newt admits to infidelity and even that is ignored. For most rank and file adultery is perfectly consistent with family values so long as you keep repenting. Leaving your wife while she is in the hospital is cool.
 
He then sits back and takes the positive reaction he receives from right wing conservatives as affirmation that he is a brilliant debater.

His "brilliant" debating strategy has been to simply attack the questioner when unpleasant questions are asked and expecting it to elicit standing ovations from a conservative audience. It would be interesting to see the look on his face if he tries to use the same strategy in a general election when Tom Brokaw asks him a difficult question in front of a more moderate audience.

-Bri
 
I would actually rather see Obama facing a total sleazeball who was drummed out of a powerful position of ethics charges and who is an utter and unrepentant horndog who fails as a husband and a father than against a person of a slightly strange religion who still seems like a decent person in his personal life.
 
Last edited:
I would actually rather see Obama facing a total sleazeball who was drummed out of a powerful position of ethics charges and who is an utter and unrepentant horndog who fails as a husband and a father than against a person of a slightly strange religion who still seems like a decent person in his personal life.
Not me. What if the sleazeball wins?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom