• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

Apple manufactures serviceable and attractive products, don't get me wrong. But they also implement deliberate design decisions in their products that restrict their consumers' freedom of choice in the name of wringing every penny out of them in the form of various "Apple taxes."

IOW, you think they operate like every other company out there ??

Here are a few examples of how they do that:

  • Designing specialized proprietary connectors and interfaces instead of using industry standards, for the express purpose of restricting users to buy all Apple-manufactured and -licensed components

Like samsung, motorola, microsoft, sony, nintendo etc ? And ... WOW a whole $1.79 for a ipod cable ! That's highway f***ing robbery ! I wonder how much a samsung 30 pin cable costs ?



  • Building non-removable batteries into all their devices, prohibiting users from changing batteries as a warranty violation, and instead requiring them to submit their device for service from a licensed outlet at a premium price

Where is the outrage ? Where are the complaints ? Certainly people would stop buying the products if this were horrible ? Personally I think the battery issue is a red herring. I don't know any people IRL that carry extra batteries - AFAIK, they only exist in internet forums. Certainly since removable batteries are so evil, no other company would do that


  • Designing their media devices to require the use of extraneous commercial bloatware/middleware (iTunes) that asserts control over the users' own media collection and imposes Apple's marketing and advertising apparatus onto their own computer
I don't even know what to make of this ? Asserts control ? You mean organizes it for you if you check the box ?
You know IOS no longer requires itunes, either ?

Thank god google isn't ad supported and doesn't require you to have a gmail account and require you to sign up for google plus....

  • Employing destructive "synch" protocols in iTunes that can result in inexperienced users inadvertently deleting their own entire media collection from their own computer

What ? What does this even mean ? Apple is too complicated for even stupid people, but with drag and drop media you can't accidentally delete your files ?

  • Imposing poorly-conceived DRM schemes on media devices that make it difficult to recover files from the device without the use of specialized software

Unlike which media device that is DRM free ?? Not quite as good as windows plays for sure ? Yeah, that worked out well....


  • Shoehorning users of iOS devices into relying on Apple's App Store to obtain software

Unlike android ? Sure, root your phone and sideload - just like you can jailbreak iOS and sideload. That's is such a *stupid* criticism. No doubt most iOS users *hate* the app store and feel so *constrained*. It's such a crappy model that's why we have the android market and the amazon app store.


  • Exploiting the App Store monopoly to strong-arm developers and dictate to users what apps they can or cannot install on their phone

Again, unlike the android market ? Unlike Sony removing linux from the PS3 ? Like MS limiting the xbox 360 playback ? Damn, why can't I install mario cart on my xbox 360 ????


Those are a few of the reasons why I will never purchase another Apple product so long as the company maintains that kind of business model.

Seriously, I hope you don't buy RIAA music, MPAA movies, Sony, Samsung, MS, Nintendo, Motorola ... they *all* do things exactly like or analgous to what you have listed.
 
well, TheL8Elvis, you're definitely showing me how much you dislike silly pissing contests.
 
The issue with non-removable batteries is replacing an old/defective battery, not carrying 3 or 4 around with you at all times.

That entire post is just a string of "2 billion Chinese can't be wrong" and "so what, ____ does it too!" which are both fallacies.
 
Oh, and you can install non-app-store apps on Android just by changing one non-hidden setting. No rooting required.
 
John Albert said:
Apple manufactures serviceable and attractive products, don't get me wrong. But they also implement deliberate design decisions in their products that restrict their consumers' freedom of choice in the name of wringing every penny out of them in the form of various "Apple taxes."


IOW, you think they operate like every other company out there ??


Nope.

"Every other company out there" does not treat their customers in such a cynical and manipulative manner. I already pointed out several of Apple's sleazy marketing tactics that are not generally used by most tech companies. But since Apple started doing it, some others have picked up on using the same kinds of contemptible tactics.

As for other companies, Sony is another one that comes to mind, that constantly tries to monopolize the market by creating its own standards and forcing everybody to pay licensing fees on them. Microsoft is another. I don't buy products from either of those companies, either.

But this thread is not about Sony or Microsoft. This thread is about Apple.


WOW a whole $1.79 for a ipod cable ! That's highway f***ing robbery ! I wonder how much a samsung 30 pin cable costs ?


Except they weren't $1.79 when the iPod first came out almost 11 years ago, were they? They were more like $15-20 back then.

By the way, don't think I didn't notice that you searched Amazon for the cheapest Apple cable, and then compared that price with one of the most expensive Samsung cables. ;)

Either way, that Apple cable costs $1.79 that you wouldn't have had to pay at all, if Apple had designed their device to use a standard USB cable that the average computer user already has dozens of lying around the house.

At the time the iPod came out, most mp3 players used standard USB cables. The standard USB cable performs the exact same function as the proprietary Apple cable. So why do you think Apple elected to go the extra trouble to invent their own super-special official Apple iPod cabling? Do you think the Apple cabling is better? Of course it isn't. They designed the thing that way just so users would be locked into paying an "Apple Tax" for special cabling for their oh-so-special iPods.

But I'm not just talking about the docking connector. There's also the absurdity that Apple's 3-conductor headphone/video plug has the wiring switched around so that any normal audio/video plug won't work; you need to buy a special Apple one for almost twice the price. That was my experience when I first bought my 5th Gen iPod, and it's still the case with the iPod Touches and iPads.

Again, what possible purpose could be served by switching around the tip-and-ring mapping of their 1/8" 3-conductor A/V jacks, if not to deliberately screw the customers out of being able to use any standard A/V cable, and making them pay extra for an Apple-licensed one instead?

Then there are the official Apple-licensed iPod automobile chargers, car stereo adapters, docking stations, etc. Of course nowadays you can get that stuff for dirt cheap behind the counter at any Osco, but all that stuff was originally very expensive when they first came out, far more expensive than your average car charger or cheap computer sound system.

Even if every one of these little items is only a few bucks more than the standard, non-Apple version would cost, that's just one way Apple nickel-and-dimes its customers to death with the "Apple Taxes."

Go to the Apple website and check out the prices on computer parts. See how much they gouge you for a standard OEM hard drive, compared to anywhere else you can buy them.


John Albert said:
  • Building non-removable batteries into all their devices, prohibiting users from changing batteries as a warranty violation, and instead requiring them to submit their device for service from a licensed outlet at a premium price


Where is the outrage ? Where are the complaints ? Certainly people would stop buying the products if this were horrible ?


I, for one, already have stopped buying Apple products. The experience turned me off to Apple for what might well be the rest of my life. I also know quite a few people who feel the same way about Apple.

Most people, on the other hand, are idiots and suckers. P.T. Barnum recognized it, and so did Steve Jobs, judging by how he ran the Apple Computer Company.


Personally I think the battery issue is a red herring.


Personally, I think you need to learn the definition of "red herring."

That issue is not a red herring. You're just calling it a "red herring" because you don't like having to admit the fact that I'm 100% correct about it.

You know what is a red herring? Your insistent harping on all these other (non-Apple) companies, that I never even mentioned in this thread about Apple, instead of addressing the actual points I made in my post. That's a red herring.

With any other laptop but an Apple, I can go out and buy a replacement battery if my laptop battery dies, and just swap out the battery in a matter of 2 seconds. With any other company's laptop, I can buy an extra battery in case my battery runs out while I'm on the road away from a charger. With any other company's laptop, I can order after-market batteries from 3rd-party manufacturers. Not with Apple. Why? Because they want you to ship your entire computer to them for repairs, or else take it into an Apple Store and pay another "Apple Tax" to have your laptop battery changed for you by a certified Apple "Genius."


I don't know any people IRL that carry extra batteries - AFAIK, they only exist in internet forums.


Nice argument from incredulity there. Just because you don't know anyone who ever carries extra batteries, that doesn't mean people don't do it, or that it's not intelligent and wise to do so.

I always have replacement batteries for any laptop that I need to rely on for work. If you travel with your computer for work and might be away from a power source for extended periods, it's foolish not to pack extra batteries.


Certainly since removable batteries are so evil, no other company would do that


I don't know what you mean by removable batteries being "evil." I certainly never said that. I've been arguing that replaceable batteries are a good thing, not a bad thing.

I also don't understand what point you're trying to make with that link to a blog post about some guy's idea about Android phones.

It sounds to me like you're just going off on a rant, without even bothering to think about what you're saying.


John Albert said:
  • Designing their media devices to require the use of extraneous commercial bloatware/middleware (iTunes) that asserts control over the users' own media collection and imposes Apple's marketing and advertising apparatus onto their own computer


I don't even know what to make of this ? Asserts control ? You mean organizes it for you if you check the box ?


ITunes takes over the task of organizing and categorizing the user's media library. If you use iTunes to rip a CD or download music, it automatically creates its own folders for the music to go into instead of allowing you to follow your own manner of organization. If you then move the media around to organize it however you like it, iTunes won't be able to find it and it will mess up the entire system.

I don't know what you mean by "check the box." That was the default mode of operation for iTunes the last time I used it, about 5 years ago before I discovered RockBox.

ITunes is also terrible bloatware. My girlfriend still uses iTunes, and it is always bogging her computer down to the point where the entire machine hangs for sometimes a minute or longer. No other applications (even hogs like Premiere, AfterEffects or Maya 3D) cause that kind of a resource crisis on that machine.

ITunes is just as irritating as any website with pop-up ads. It shoves advertising in your face every time you open it. Dunno about how iTunes works on Macs, but it's a huge resource hog on Windows machines. It also leaves a number of processes running in the background, even after you close it.


You know IOS no longer requires itunes, either ?


I'm surprised to hear that iOS devices no longer require iTunes. My dad just got an iPad this past Christmas, and he spent all evening messing around in iTunes trying to get the thing all set up with all his music and all the apps he wanted.

If that is indeed true, then it's a step in the right direction for Apple. Itunes is total crapware.


Thank god google isn't ad supported and doesn't require you to have a gmail account and require you to sign up for google plus....


Who said anything about Google? This thread isn't about Google, it's about Apple. I really don't understand why you're suddenly shifting the topic from Apple to Google. You should get into the fish-canning business with all these red herrings of yours.

Anyway, it's true that you need to start a Gmail account to get the full features of Android, but there's no real requirement to use that account. The Android OS can handle non-Google email accounts as well. My Android phone does not require me to install any kind of software on my computer in order to transfer files, and it never shoves ads in my face. You don't have to sign up for Google Plus, either. I'm not on Google Plus, and my phone works just fine.


John Albert said:
  • Employing destructive "synch" protocols in iTunes that can result in inexperienced users inadvertently deleting their own entire media collection from their own computer


What ? What does this even mean ? Apple is too complicated for even stupid people, but with drag and drop media you can't accidentally delete your files ?


"Apple is too complicated for even stupid people"? Where the hell did you get that from? I never said that.

I'm not a "stupid person." I'm not "computer illiterate," either. I've been using computers for over 30 years. I've used a wide variety of operating systems on a wide variety of platforms, and no, I have never had an operating system's file manager just automatically delete files from the original directory when merely dragging and dropping them from one directory to another.

The first time I used iTunes, it inadvertently deleted half my music collection off my computer hard drive with no warning, because I accidentally clicked a button to sync my library with the iPod. After a few minutes of hard-drive-crunching activity, about half my iTunes library (most of which songs had been painstakingly ripped from CDs prior to even installing iTunes) had exclamation points next to them. When I looked in the directory where they were supposed to be located, they'd disappeared—not to the trash or anything—they were just gone.

That was only my first bad experience with that iPod. After a few incidents like that, I began to wonder why everyone was raving about how awesome Apple iPods were. I'm a fairly regular consumer of electronic gadgetry, and I have never felt the kind of buyer's remorse that I did within a month or so after that purchase. It wasn't until I installed RockBox and swore off iTunes altogether, that I started to feel a little bit better about the purchase.


John Albert said:
  • Imposing poorly-conceived DRM schemes on media devices that make it difficult to recover files from the device without the use of specialized software


Unlike which media device that is DRM free ?? Not quite as good as windows plays for sure ? Yeah, that worked out well...


Unlike most media devices, that are DRM-free. Before the iPod came along, all mp3 players were DRM-free, and most of them still are. I have installed RockBox on my own iPod, and now it's DRM-free as well. ;)

Again, I didn't mention Windows. Why are you bringing up Windows in this discussion about Apple? You keep trying to deflect my criticism of Apple by mentioning all these other companies that have nothing to do with what I'm talking about.


John Albert said:
  • Shoehorning users of iOS devices into relying on Apple's App Store to obtain software


Unlike android ? Sure, root your phone and sideload - just like you can jailbreak iOS and sideload.


Wrong. You don't have to root anything on an Anrdoid phone to install apps off the MicroSD card.

You can install any app you want onto an Android device, whether it's in the Android Market or not, right out of the box. Apple's iPhone is the only smartphone that restricts users to installing applications only from its own proprietary marketplace. Not even Blackberry is that draconian. And jailbreaking the iPhone voids the warranty.


That's is such a *stupid* criticism.


Maybe it's actually a rather smart criticism, and you're just too stupid or short-sighted to see the wisdom of it.


No doubt most iOS users *hate* the app store and feel so *constrained*. It's such a crappy model that's why we have the android market and the amazon app store.


I didn't say an online software market is a bad model. That's another strawman argument.

I said that restricting users of iOS devices to only obtain software from Apple's App Store is a manipulative model that limits its users' freedom of choice.


John Albert said:
  • Exploiting the App Store monopoly to strong-arm developers and dictate to users what apps they can or cannot install on their phone


Again, unlike the android market ? Unlike Sony removing linux from the PS3 ? Like MS limiting the xbox 360 playback ? Damn, why can't I install mario cart on my xbox 360 ????


Again, I never mentioned any of those other companies or platforms. Sorry, Charlie, that's another red herring!

And yes, it's totally unlike the Android Market, because the Android Market does not arbitrarily exclude apps from its repositories based on a vague set of rules, like Apple has been widely criticized for doing.

Also, Android users do not have to rely on the Android Market for their apps. I have at least 5 or 6 apps on my own phone that I installed myself without going through the Market at all.

Your argument about Mario Kart is about as asinine a strawman as I've ever seen. I never argued anything of the sort.


Seriously, I hope you don't buy RIAA music, MPAA movies, Sony, Samsung, MS, Nintendo, Motorola ... they *all* do things exactly like or analgous to what you have listed.


And yet this discussion is not about any of those companies or associations. All those arguments are red herrings.
 
Last edited:
The issue with non-removable batteries is replacing an old/defective battery, not carrying 3 or 4 around with you at all times.

That entire post is just a string of "2 billion Chinese can't be wrong" and "so what, ____ does it too!" which are both fallacies.

RE batteries: defective batteries are replaced under warranty. Replacing old non-removable batteries is really not that much more expensive through apple. It's a trade off in battery life, weight, etc. It not *all* detrimental.

As for the rest - I wasn't trying to argue against the OP that none of those things are bad or undesirable. I would like to see lots of those things change. But I couldn't buy a ot of things if I boycotted all the companies that do that stuff.I As you saw at the end of my post:
myself said:
"Seriously, I hope you don't buy RIAA music, MPAA movies, Sony, Samsung, MS, Nintendo, Motorola ... they *all* do things exactly like or analgous to what you have listed."
 
I'm surprised to hear that iOS devices no longer require iTunes. My dad just got an iPad this past Christmas, and he spent all evening messing around in iTunes trying to get the thing all set up with all his music and all the apps he wanted.
If that is indeed true, then it's a step in the right direction for Apple.

Yes, it's true. Do try and keep up.

Anyway, it's true that you need to start a Gmail account to get the full features of Android, but there's no real requirement to use that account.
...You don't have to sign up for Google Plus, either.

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-google-accounts-require-gmail-and.html

If you try to create a Google account from Google's homepage, you'll notice that Google redesigned the page, but that's not all. You'll now have to create a Gmail account, a Google Profile and you'll automatically join Google+.

Wrong. You don't have to root anything on an Anrdoid phone to install apps off the MicroSD card.

You can install any app you want onto an Android device, whether it's in the Android Market or not, right out of the box.

That must be a bitch on the new flagship android phone then. Seriously - you understand that their is a flag for allowing non-market apps to be installed, and that manufacturers can choose to lock those ... nothing to do with an SD card ... or maybe you don't know that.

You have some valid criticisms of apple. But they apply to motorola, samsung, sony, ms, htc, google. THAT is why i bring up the other companies. It's relevant that apple is acting consistently with the rest of the market.

Maybe it's actually a rather smart criticism, and you're just too stupid or short-sighted to see the wisdom of it.

Meh. I know which one of us has the technical understanding of the issues and which one doesn't....
 
Yes, it's true. Do try and keep up.


It was a month ago, smartass. Maybe it's true and maybe it isn't, but my dad was sure pissed about it.


http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-google-accounts-require-gmail-and.html

If you try to create a Google account from Google's homepage, you'll notice that Google redesigned the page, but that's not all. You'll now have to create a Gmail account, a Google Profile and you'll automatically join Google+.


Like I said, there's nothing saying you even have to use the account. Google just needs to have you in their database in order to provide services to you. Whether or not you decide to use those services is up to you.

I've had 3 Gmail accounts for over 7 years now, and I've never been on Google+.

Besides, this is not a discussion about Google. This thread is about Apple.


That must be a bitch on the new flagship android phone then. Seriously - you understand that their is a flag for allowing non-market apps to be installed, and that manufacturers can choose to lock those ... nothing to do with an SD card ... or maybe you don't know that.


It's nothing new. My phone is a 2-year-old Nexus One, and I can install whatever I want onto it. One of my friends has a Galaxy Nexus and he can also install apps without going through the Market. Some providers (most notably AT&T and Verizon) are very restrictive about their service and commonly lock out certain features of phones, like hotspot and tethering capability. But the Nexus One and Galaxy Nexus, having been created as a full-featured test bed for the entire Android OS, have no such restrictions. Even most Android phones developed especially for the major carriers allow installation of software from the SD card instead of through the Market.

There are lots of Android phones from lots of providers. Android is just an OS, not tied to any particular hardware, so consumers have the freedom to choose whatever phone they want out of a variety of models with different specs, features, and price points, and can even choose whatever provider they want.

With the iPhone, you have a choice between the two most expensive providers with the most restrictive service plans in the industry, you have only one choice of phone with only one price point and one set of specs and features, and no choice whatsoever where to get your software from.

Besides, this is not a discussion about Android. This thread is about Apple.


You have some valid criticisms of apple. But they apply to motorola, samsung, sony, ms, htc, google. THAT is why i bring up the other companies. It's relevant that apple is acting consistently with the rest of the market.


No, most of them do not apply to all those companies. One or two of them may apply to one company or another, but all of them collectively apply to Apple.

That's why bringing all these other companies into the discussion is a red herring.


Meh. I know which one of us has the technical understanding of the issues and which one doesn't....


You're telling me?
 
Last edited:
Except they weren't $1.79 when the iPod first came out almost 11 years ago, were they? They were more like $15-20 back then.

Possibly the only reason the price has come down is that the high price apple charges has resulted in cheap knockoffs of these cables being available at a fraction of the price. That's the usual fate of easily reproduced proprietary hardware.

Wait a sec, visiting the Apple store iPod Cables & Docks page, I see that Apple is charging $19 for the exact same cable TheL8Elvis found on Amazon for $1.79.

I'm guessing that the cable he found on Amazon is a cheap knockoff, not a genuine Apple product.
 
Last edited:
I'm guessing that the cable he found on Amazon is a cheap knockoff, not a genuine Apple product.


Well I certainly wouldn't want to purchase an unlicensed, substandard connector cable that wasn't manufactured by certified Apple Geniuses™. Imagine the kind of hyjinx that might result!
 
Well I certainly wouldn't want to purchase an unlicensed, substandard connector cable that wasn't manufactured by certified Apple Geniuses™. Imagine the kind of hyjinx that might result!

I'm sure the knock off doesn't provide the same "user experience" that the genuine Apple product does. You know, that wonderful feeling of anticipation as you proceed to open the (design as a fetish) packaging and actually touch your piece of Apple awesomeness. No mere $1.99 cable could give you such a feeling.
 
I'm sure the knock off doesn't provide the same "user experience" that the genuine Apple product does. You know, that wonderful feeling of anticipation as you proceed to open the (design as a fetish) packaging and actually touch your piece of Apple awesomeness. No mere $1.99 cable could give you such a feeling.


It probably comes packaged in a common, transparent plastic bag with an obnoxious staple or somesuch. How abysmally plebeian!
 
Nope.

"Every other company out there" does not treat their customers in such a cynical and manipulative manner. I already pointed out several of Apple's sleazy marketing tactics that are not generally used by most tech companies. But since Apple started doing it, some others have picked up on using the same kinds of contemptible tactics.

I think you failed to demonstrate that apple treats their customers in a cynical and manipulative manner, especially in one more so than other companies they compete with.

As for other companies, Sony is another one that comes to mind, that constantly tries to monopolize the market by creating its own standards and forcing everybody to pay licensing fees on them. Microsoft is another. I don't buy products from either of those companies, either.

But this thread is not about Sony or Microsoft. This thread is about Apple.

Yes, this thread is about apple. But your argument seems to be that apple uses tactics " that are not generally used by most tech companies". So when I discuss other companies to demonstrate what apple does is completely in line with their competition, it's relevant.

At the time the iPod came out, most mp3 players used standard USB cables. The standard USB cable performs the exact same function as the proprietary Apple cable. So why do you think Apple elected to go the extra trouble to invent their own super-special official Apple iPod cabling? Do you think the Apple cabling is better? Of course it isn't. They designed the thing that way just so users would be locked into paying an "Apple Tax" for special cabling for their oh-so-special iPods.

You make a claim that 'most' mp3 players used 'standard' usb cables 11 years ago ? I disagree. If you would like to back your claim up, feel free. Using a 'proprietary' connector is nothing new or nefarious for small electronics devices.
BTW, the original ipod was firewire, not USB. Your technical inaccuracies throughout your post weakens your arguments

But I'm not just talking about the docking connector. There's also the absurdity that Apple's 3-conductor headphone/video plug has the wiring switched around so that any normal audio/video plug won't work; you need to buy a special Apple one for almost twice the price. That was my experience when I first bought my 5th Gen iPod, and it's still the case with the iPod Touches and iPads.

FALSE. Standard headphones work. You are building arguments about a companies behavior based on incorrect facts.

Go to the Apple website and check out the prices on computer parts. See how much they gouge you for a standard OEM hard drive, compared to anywhere else you can buy them.

I would never buy memory, for example, from apple. Yes, they mark it up and charge a premium. I would probably think they were a 'nicer' company for charging less, but I am not sure I agree that it makes them a horrible bad company for charging what they do.

I, for one, already have stopped buying Apple products. The experience turned me off to Apple for what might well be the rest of my life. I also know quite a few people who feel the same way about Apple.
Most people, on the other hand, are idiots and suckers. P.T. Barnum recognized it, and so did Steve Jobs, judging by how he ran the Apple Computer Company.

And bill gates recognized it, etc. Again, I really don't see that you have demonstrated that apple is malicious, sleazy, or markedly different than its peers.

Personally, I think you need to learn the definition of "red herring."

That issue is not a red herring. You're just calling it a "red herring" because you don't like having to admit the fact that I'm 100% correct about it.

Actually, building in batteries is a red herring because 99% of consumers don't care I imagine there is a very small percentage of people who will find non-removable batteries to be detrimental. Apple made a business decision to gear their product towards the 99%, not the 1%.

It has allowed apple to make thinner, lighter, smaller devices with better battery life than it's competitors. It's a boon for customers, not a detriment.

And you are starting to see all the rest of the companies follow suit.

Nice argument from incredulity there. Just because you don't know anyone who ever carries extra batteries, that doesn't mean people don't do it, or that it's not intelligent and wise to do so.

I always have replacement batteries for any laptop that I need to rely on for work. If you travel with your computer for work and might be away from a power source for extended periods, it's foolish not to pack extra batteries.

Your right. I'm damn incredulous of your claim that not having a removable battery is important and that consumers are being harmed by not having one. BTW, here is some anecdotal evidence - last time I traveled for work (IT field) one of my co-workers made a comment about the iphone and non-removable battery. Guess how many people had spare batteries for any device ? Yes, Zero (including our work laptops.

In fact, my company doesn't feel having a spare battery for my work laptop is important enough to allow me to expense the cost of one. But apple is sleazy and screwing people over with built in batteries.

I don't know what you mean by removable batteries being "evil." I certainly never said that. I've been arguing that replaceable batteries are a good thing, not a bad thing.
Sorry - type: non-removable

I also don't understand what point you're trying to make with that link to a blog post about some guy's idea about Android phones.

It sounds to me like you're just going off on a rant, without even bothering to think about what you're saying.
The entire industry is moving that way because it makes more consumer and economic sense - the opposite in fact of what you claim.

ITunes takes over the task of organizing and categorizing the user's media library.

If you check the box that says 'keep my library organized'. Otherwise, it won't.

I don't know what you mean by "check the box." That was the default mode of operation for iTunes the last time I used it, about 5 years ago before I discovered RockBox.

Complaining about how you think (incorrectly) iTunes worked 5 years ago is worthless to demonstrate anything about apple.

Itunes is total crapware.

Thanks for your opinion. Again, you have proven nothing.

Anyway, it's true that you need to start a Gmail account to get the full features of Android, but there's no real requirement to use that account.

You have to use that account for market purchases, and tie a CC to it. Google is in the data-mining business. The set up the entire OS to data mine you.

I have never had an operating system's file manager just automatically delete files from the original directory when merely dragging and dropping them from one directory to another.

Argument from incredulity ? Anecdotal data ? That is the difference between move and copy ??

Unlike most media devices, that are DRM-free. Before the iPod came along, all mp3 players were DRM-free, and most of them still are. I have installed RockBox on my own iPod, and now it's DRM-free as well. ;)

What ? If you don't buy music from itunes, the ipod didn't create any DRM. You could *always* use unencumbered mp3s on an ipod. You could always rip your music form cd to an unencrypted mp3. The music copyright holders forced *any* music service selling music to DM the music - apple, MS, walmart, etc. You really seem to have a poor understanding of this whole situation.

Wrong. You don't have to root anything on an Anrdoid phone to install apps off the MicroSD card.

I addressed this in the other post. You are making a universal claim about android that is totally incorrect.

I didn't say an online software market is a bad model. That's another strawman argument.

I said that restricting users of iOS devices to only obtain software from Apple's App Store is a manipulative model that limits its users' freedom of choice.

And is the industry standard. The industry standard is to limit the ability to install certain apps so that they can retain some control over the content in a failed attempt to combat piracy etc. You shouldn't single out apple for this model if it;s the industry standard should you ?

And yes, it's totally unlike the Android Market, because the Android Market does not arbitrarily exclude apps from its repositories based on a vague set of rules, like Apple has been widely criticized for doing.

Also, Android users do not have to rely on the Android Market for their apps. I have at least 5 or 6 apps on my own phone that I installed myself without going through the Market at all.

Actually, google does arbitrarily exclude apps based on nebulous criteria. I'd be happy to provide links if you disbelieve me. And as far as being locked into the market ( HEY, which shows me ads, just like your complaint about itunes !) - it depends on the phone. The majority of them are locked to the market.
 
I think you failed to demonstrate that apple treats their customers in a cynical and manipulative manner, especially in one more so than other companies they compete with.


It's not my intention to dissuade Apple fanboys away from their faith. As I said, no other major tech company I can think of uses such a comprehensive array of deceptive and restrictive engineering practices.


Yes, this thread is about apple. But your argument seems to be that apple uses tactics " that are not generally used by most tech companies". So when I discuss other companies to demonstrate what apple does is completely in line with their competition, it's relevant.


No, it's not. It's a red herring. You were unable to refute my arguments, so you point fingers at other companies. We're not talking about other companies in this discussion. We're talking about Apple.

If you want to discuss the sleazy engineering and marketing tactics of, say, Samsung, then start a thread called "What's so fantastic about Samsung?" and see if you get any bites.


You make a claim that 'most' mp3 players used 'standard' usb cables 11 years ago ? I disagree. If you would like to back your claim up, feel free. Using a 'proprietary' connector is nothing new or nefarious for small electronics devices.


Yes, they did. I owned a number of them prior to squandering $400 on a 5th Generation iPod video.

You're just going to have to take my word for it because this discussion is not worth the effort of Googling every MP3 player ever in existence, just because you want to make me jump through hoops.


BTW, the original ipod was firewire, not USB. Your technical inaccuracies throughout your post weakens your arguments


A niggling detail. My point still stands, that Apple's cabling and other accessories are vastly overpriced.


FALSE. Standard headphones work. You are building arguments about a companies behavior based on incorrect facts.


I'm not talking about headphones. I'm talking about 1/8" A/V cables that plug into the headphone jack. Your facts are incorrect, not mine.


I would never buy memory, for example, from apple. Yes, they mark it up and charge a premium. I would probably think they were a 'nicer' company for charging less, but I am not sure I agree that it makes them a horrible bad company for charging what they do.


They gouge consumers on every single thing they sell. There's a reason people call it the "Apple Tax."


Again, I really don't see that you have demonstrated that apple is malicious, sleazy, or markedly different than its peers.


That doesn't surprise me at all.


Actually, building in batteries is a red herring because 99% of consumers don't care I imagine there is a very small percentage of people who will find non-removable batteries to be detrimental. Apple made a business decision to gear their product towards the 99%, not the 1%.


It's not a red herring. It's a plain fact that Apple machines require the user to send the thing in for servicing to get the batteries changed, and that limits the user's power management options. Pulling arbitrary statistics out of your ass does not change that.


It has allowed apple to make thinner, lighter, smaller devices with better battery life than it's competitors.


That's your own opinion. You're going to have to provide evidence to back up your claim that the battery life of Apple computers is considerably better than any competitor with removable batteries, and also your claim that thin, light computers cannot be made with removable batteries.


It's a boon for customers, not a detriment.


That's your own opinion. It's not a "boon" to me, and I won't buy a laptop without replaceable batteries.

Apple's marketing department is pretty good at convincing consumers that their restrictive practices are a "boon." They convinced lots of consumers that iTunes is a "boon," that marketing their cell phones only through one carrier was a "boon," and that only being able to download software from the "App Store" is a boon. I suppose paying $200 for a $150 hard drive, or $3000 for a $1500 laptop is also a "boon" to some people.


I'm damn incredulous of your claim that not having a removable battery is important and that consumers are being harmed by not having one.


You failed to grasp what I was saying. Argument from incredulity is a logical fallacy. Just because you can't believe that people carry spare batteries for their laptops doesn't mean they don't do it.


BTW, here is some anecdotal evidence - last time I traveled for work (IT field) one of my co-workers made a comment about the iphone and non-removable battery. Guess how many people had spare batteries for any device ? Yes, Zero (including our work laptops.

In fact, my company doesn't feel having a spare battery for my work laptop is important enough to allow me to expense the cost of one. But apple is sleazy and screwing people over with built in batteries.


Your company is not everybody. Your anecdote proves nothing.


The entire industry is moving that way because it makes more consumer and economic sense - the opposite in fact of what you claim.


Evidence?


Complaining about how you think (incorrectly) iTunes worked 5 years ago is worthless to demonstrate anything about apple.


I'm not incorrect about it. I dealt with the clunky clumsiness of iTunes for over a year before switching to RockBox. I know what I'm talking about.

My point is not irrelevant or worthless. At the very least, it proves that Apple has a history of designing hardware and software around an interest in seizing control of its users' media libraries, and thereby leveraging a position to capitalize on content distribution.


You have to use that account for market purchases, and tie a CC to it. Google is in the data-mining business. The set up the entire OS to data mine you.


You are misinformed. You don't need to tie a credit card to anything. As I said, you don't need to buy apps from the Android Market. I've been using Android for years, and I never had to give Google my credit card number. Almost all the apps on my phone are free anyway, and some of them I downloaded and installed without going through the Market. I never gave Google my bank card number.

By the way, you're still flapping around the same old red herring: this thread is not about Google. It's about Apple.


John Albert said:
Unlike most media devices, that are DRM-free. Before the iPod came along, all mp3 players were DRM-free, and most of them still are. I have installed RockBox on my own iPod, and now it's DRM-free as well. ;)


What ? If you don't buy music from itunes, the ipod didn't create any DRM. You could *always* use unencumbered mp3s on an ipod. You could always rip your music form cd to an unencrypted mp3. The music copyright holders forced *any* music service selling music to DM the music - apple, MS, walmart, etc. You really seem to have a poor understanding of this whole situation.


No, the misunderstanding is yours. A user cannot just drag-and-drop their music files onto an iPod using your computer's file manager. If you do that, the iPod will not see or play them.

To put music files onto an iPod library, you use iTunes. When iTunes transfers the files, it encodes the filenames into a scrambled jumble of letters so the user cannot identify the mp3 files by filename when manually searching through the iPod's files. The reason Apple did this was to prevent users from copying music from their iPod back onto another machine. That is the crappy DRM scheme I am talking about.

You say iPods don't work that way anymore, but that's not my experience. Just this past Christmas evening, I sat and watched my dad wrangle with iTunes for over 4 hours, trying to load his music collection and apps onto his iPad. I guess you'll just have to provide some form of evidence to back up your claim.


John Albert said:
Wrong. You don't have to root anything on an Anrdoid phone to install apps off the MicroSD card.


I addressed this in the other post. You are making a universal claim about android that is totally incorrect.


It's true of every Android phone I've ever used, and I've used several.

As I pointed out, if you want an Android phone, you have choices. You can choose whatever carrier you wish. You can choose from a variety of phones with different specs, feature sets, and price points. You can buy apps from the Market, or install them yourself if you've chosen a handset from a carrier that does not have that restriction.

However, if you want an iPhone, you have only one general model to choose from. You can only choose from the two most expensive and restrictive carriers. You have no choice where to get your software from, unless you want to void your phone's warranty.

That's the difference that makes me say that Apple is a company that restricts its customers' consumer freedom, locking them into an all-Apple paradigm.

You haven't refuted that, because you can't. So instead, you keep on with these "but those other guys..." arguments.


And is the industry standard. The industry standard is to limit the ability to install certain apps so that they can retain some control over the content in a failed attempt to combat piracy etc. You shouldn't single out apple for this model if it;s the industry standard should you ?


You have no idea what you're talking about. It's not an industry standard. It's just Steve Jobs blowing smoke up your ass.

You seem to have bought into the Apple line of BS, that they're the intrepid pioneer that leads the industry in everything they do.


Actually, google does arbitrarily exclude apps based on nebulous criteria. I'd be happy to provide links if you disbelieve me. And as far as being locked into the market ( HEY, which shows me ads, just like your complaint about itunes !) - it depends on the phone. The majority of them are locked to the market.


You're wrong.

This argument just keeps going round and round with no resolution in sight. Everybody else in this thread can see what I'm saying, and they'll either agree with me or not. I've made my case pretty well I think. You've been unable to refute my points, but you just keep arguing anyway, so I'm through bickering with you over Apple. This is a complete waste of time.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom