• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

Interesting. I have a friend who is a die-hard Mac fan, and he always says the same thing: "I don't get why people complain about Apple! Nobody's forcing them to buy it!"
Well, duh, nobody's forcing me to buy it. But if I think something's crappy, I have a right, as a consumer, to let other consumers know why I think that it's crappy, and why they shouldn't buy it. I mean, do people seriously think that you shouldn't voice any complaints about a product...just buy something else and STFU??

That reminds me - BMWs suck - I can't pull a plow with them. I keep telling the guys on the BMW forum that their cars are so limited, but they keep telling me to STFU. I mean it's my car - I should be able to pull a plow if I want to.
 
That doesn't include installing memory, etc. It's pretty much the same as any other dell/hp/whatever warranty.
I build my own PCs, I can install any hardware/software/whatever and the warranty isn't voided for any component.

You can't even add a hard drive to a Mac without voiding the warranty. Unless you take it to the Apple Store to have a "genius" do it for you for big $$$ of course.
 
That reminds me - BMWs suck - I can't pull a plow with them. I keep telling the guys on the BMW forum that their cars are so limited, but they keep telling me to STFU. I mean it's my car - I should be able to pull a plow if I want to.

So, "a BMW's purpose is not to pull a plow" is analogous to "an iPod's purpose is not to drag-and-drop files onto it".
I mean, duh! If you want to drag-and-drop files, buy a flash drive! Silly PC people!
 
I build my own PCs, I can install any hardware/software/whatever and the warranty isn't voided for any component.

You can't even add a hard drive to a Mac without voiding the warranty. Unless you take it to the Apple Store to have a "genius" do it for you for big $$$ of course.

That's simply not true.

iMac...would void warranty.

MacBook...would not void warranty.
 
Not that I don't believe you .. but .... links please ?

Actually you shouldn't believe me. I may be wrong.

In searching for the link I found earlier I now see info contradicting each other regarding the iMac. Some say it's okay, others not.

Apple publishes info on how one can upgrade the hard drive in their MacBooks. They mention to follow instructions carefully so as to not void the warranty so yes, its definitely allowed with their MacBooks.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf
 
Laptops are made to have memory and hard drives easy enough for the user to replace/reseat due to the types of extremes that they can face (shock and so on). Some desktops have a seal that you have to break to get inside the case to do the same thing that will void the warranty. I don't know if Mac Desktops have that seal or not but if they do you definitely will lose the warranty the minute that you break it open. A certified repairman will either have a new seal or will put the fact that he worked on it and broke the seal into a database (or both).
 
Perhaps TheL8Elvis is talking about external hard drives and not internal. :D

(Warning: This was a joke.)

You can install Rockbox on an iPod. Then, you'll be able to get away from iTunes, and can drag-and-drop to your heart's content. I use it, and think it's fantastic.
What's more is the Rockbox installer does not remove the original firmware; it dual-boots. So if, for some reason, you do want to use iTunes, you can just choose to boot into the original OS instead.

Dual-booting isn't exactly a solution. It's a complete change.
 
In any case, PC vs Amiga was a much more interesting and meaningful war.
 
How do you know someone owns an Apple product?


Just wait and they will tell you..:D
 
I'm pretty low tech, used windows for awhile, had a lot of problems, looked at MAC,couldn't afford the price, switched to Linux.

Fast forward a couple of years, was gifted an Ipod.
Thought it was neat, and hooked it up to my laptop.

Laptop couldn't do anything with it.

Which bugged the heck out of me.

So I hit Wally world, and found a similarly sized mp3 player for 30 bucks.

Found a bonus later on when it got cold out and started wearing gloves.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice device, if terribly overpriced.

Just prefer having a regular player that I can easily add/remove music and podcasts from, and be able to pause/play/change tracks without takingmy gloves of while on my bike or at work.
 
From the Apple fanboy dating site posted above, here's how they show the PC and Mac users :D
 

Attachments

  • imamac.gif
    imamac.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 19
I think you and el greco are exactly the audience apple does not cater to. Apple really doesn't try to be all things to all people, by offering 10 bazillion options. Often, this seems to me to be the thing that pisses people off about apple:

...snip....

You couldn't be more wrong (especially in the consumer segment), that is exactly what Apple wants and is why it markets its products as it does. It wants everyone to believe that what they want is an Apple device.
 
From the Apple fanboy dating site posted above, here's how they show the PC and Mac users :D

so... an exceptionally funny smart personable nice guy... and a hipster jerkbag?

seriously, if you want to show a product in a negative light, why would you get John Hodgman to play the embodiment of the character?
 
That reminds me - BMWs suck - I can't pull a plow with them. I keep telling the guys on the BMW forum that their cars are so limited, but they keep telling me to STFU. I mean it's my car - I should be able to pull a plow if I want to.

Not really analagous to my complaint about my ipod. One of the selling points of Apple's mp3 players is that they are super-easy and straightforward to use. My complaint is that in one particular respect (file transfer) they are curiously difficult and infuriating to use.

To draw a better analogy, it's as if my BMW wouldn't take a standard fuel nozzle and had to be filled with petrol from special bPumps that not all stations have.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom