Dessi said:
Indicates PETA used video footage stolen by ALF to show severe animal rights abuses in the Silver Spring Monkeys case. I say this is a point in favor of PETA, not against it.
Would you also say Operation Backfire, as one example, is a point in favor of PETA, or against it?
That depends, did Operation Backfire have any connection to PETA whatsoever?
Citizenzen was asking about the ALF. Do you wish to argue that Coronado has no prominence in the ALF/ELF?
citzenzen asked which of PETA's activities appear to ally themselves with terrorist organizations. I'm asking you what the connection is between PETA and the Coronado.
More to the point, following up on
citizenzen's commentary above, I'd be interested to know why an association to the guy would be that damnable in the first place.
Dessi said:
PETA indicates that some of AFLs actions have resulted in severe criminal penalties for experimenters for violations of the Animal Welfare Act.
Do you also agree that arson is a violation of the law?
Its obviously against the law. Its not obvious how your question is even remotely connected to my comment.
Maybe the problem here is a simple category error: it sounds like the argument is, if PETA supports direct action, the organization must by definition support every single form of it from under cover investigations to arson... except it doesn't.
For that matter, I know several vegans like myself who approve of a few PETA actions. For a start, General Motors used to perform crash tests using live animals up to 1993. Following tremendous pressure from the ASPCA and PETA campaigns, GM stopped using live animals, crash test dummies were developed instead. This, I think, is commendable. Does that necessarily mean I support the round robin of PETA campaigns, like the highly inflammatory Holocaust On Your Plate or Your Mommy Kills Animals pamphlets? Well, no.
I support action that ensures buildings aren't torched when ideologies like this conflict. I support action that guarantees progressive, and most important of all, peaceful change if there is to be any.
I agree. Arson bad.
Direct action can still be effective. Whale Wars seems put the subject of commercial whaling into the mainstream, there's huge international pressure to cease whaling in Japan, I think their actions have even saved a few hundred whales. This would have been impossible without the Sea Shepard Society (who has that guy Coronado as a crew member) engaging in its own form of direct action. I gave a $300 charitable donation to the group earlier this year.
We aren't talking about PETA's action. We are talking about their moral (and quite possibly monetary) support of a domestic terrorist group like ALF/ELF.
I've only ever heard of members of PETA giving money to the Animal Liberation Press Office, which is a newsletter that publishes articles related to direct action, but does not engage in direct action itself.
I'm not aware of PETA ever condoning arson.