citizenzen
Graduate Poster
- Joined
- Jul 16, 2011
- Messages
- 1,454
Why is your age important?
Sorry. Bad writing.
I meant to say 20+ years of vegetarianism.
I'm 51.
Not that that's important.
Why is your age important?
As a 20+ vegetarian I'm always amused by posts like yours and others who feel the need to [drool] over bacon or 'MMM' about the steak they'll have to eat for lunch just to piss us veg-heads off.
IMO, it's just immaturity ... indicating an inability to address an issue intellectually. It doesn't make you a worse person. But I do look forward to the day you folks improve your ability to debate.
As a 20+ vegetarian I'm always amused by posts like yours and others who feel the need to [drool] over bacon or 'MMM' about the steak they'll have to eat for lunch just to piss us veg-heads off.
IMO, it's just immaturity ... indicating an inability to address an issue intellectually. It doesn't make you a worse person. But I do look forward to the day you folks improve your ability to debate.
As a 20+ vegetarian I'm always amused by posts like yours and others who feel the need to [drool] over bacon or 'MMM' about the steak they'll have to eat for lunch just to piss us veg-heads off.
IMO, it's just immaturity ... indicating an inability to address an issue intellectually. It doesn't make you a worse person. But I do look forward to the day you folks improve your ability to debate.
Well said.
I have to agree with you, and I am a dyed in the wool carnavore myself. Except that I would not describe myself as 'amused' by it. If someone in my home taunted someone else like I see in this thread, I would ask them to make a choice: apologize or leave.
It is part of the culture around this place. People come here to argue, insult and bicker. I was pretty disapointed when I discovered that is how it is around here. You would think people who join a place devoted to critical thinking would be more interested in using logic & facts than insults. I guess the problem is that it is a free internet forum that any random ******* can join.
There is no doubting that the OP was insulting and written to be as provacative as possible. What I do not understand is why someone would read that OP an then turn around and exibit the exact same behavior.
What is the thought process?
It must be something like this:
That post is uncivil and insulting.
I don't aprove of that.
The poster must be a jerk.
I am going to express my disapproval of jerks by doing the exact same thing.
Now everyone knows how great I am!"
This is called letting others set your standards. People should do the right thing, even when those around them are not. I don't like being in a forum where the standards are set by someone who is willing to talk to/about people like the OP does. I have no use for it.
ETA: yes, I am fully aware that I myself am just some random *******.
ETA: Goodbye.
Before we settle on who is and who isn't "you folks", I'd point you to the OP. Not that I can excuse any of the behavior but, I think the delineation of good guy vs bad guy uncalled for. We are all just people and our greatest mathematical brain trick is ad hoc rationalization. Throw in the ego and each of us think that our bowel movements are the sweetest smelling.... I do look forward to the day you folks improve your ability to debate.
First off, I'm not trying to make this just about sgtbaker. I was trying to point out a trend, of which he was the most recent example. My comment was not meant to single out sgtbaker, and I apologize for putting him under the microscope in that way.
But secondly, regarding the OP, yes it was worded a way to antagonize meat-eaters. However, the OP presented a premise that could be debated on its logical merits (which I disagreed with earlier) and the OP provided sources that could be investigated and refuted.
The OP may have lacked style, but still had substance, where IMO the bacon! [drool] responses offer neither.
The OP may have lacked style, but still had substance, where IMO the bacon! [drool] responses offer neither.
The OP may have lacked style, but still had substance, where IMO the bacon! [drool] responses offer neither.
It's pretty common to see this type of jocularity on the forum. It's just meant to get some cheap laughs.
Yea, but you have to admit, the snorting lines of bacon quip was funny. Really really funny.
First off, I'm not trying to make this just about sgtbaker. I was trying to point out a trend, of which he was the most recent example. My comment was not meant to single out sgtbaker, and I apologize for putting him under the microscope in that way.
But secondly, regarding the OP, yes it was worded a way to antagonize meat-eaters. However, the OP presented a premise that could be debated on its logical merits (which I disagreed with earlier) and the OP provided sources that could be investigated and refuted.
The OP may have lacked style, but still had substance, where IMO the bacon! [drool] responses offer neither.
It's pretty common to see this type of jocularity on the forum. Start a thread about gun control and you'll see people talking about going to the shooting range. Start a thread about dogs, people will tell you about how great cats are. It's just meant to get some cheap laughs.
Why should anyone bother, since the OP didn't even stick around to support their contentions?........
But secondly, regarding the OP, yes it was worded a way to antagonize meat-eaters. However, the OP presented a premise that could be debated on its logical merits (which I disagreed with earlier) and the OP provided sources that could be investigated and refuted.
.............
Po-faced vegans don't appear to do a lot of laughing.
Why should anyone bother, since the OP didn't even stick around to support their contentions?
Perhaps, on the other hand they do offer comic relief. In a cynical world such as this one perhaps that is it's own substance.The OP may have lacked style, but still had substance, where IMO the bacon! [drool] responses offer neither.
Well.... I just hope they serve bacon in Hell.