• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Vaccines: how do I talk to my anti-vac wife about it?

You've got it completely wrong. What I'm saying is that our trust in these people has never been justified and we should still be extremely suspicious of their actions and motives. I'm pulling together a few other bits of woo evidence for you guys to continue to ignore, as I'm sure you'll have heard it all before. Eventually you'll see why I've hitched my horse to an alternative understanding of science.
Emphasis mine. There is no such thing and as long as you continue to use drivel from whale.to, then consider it a courtesy that you will be ignored. I think a Dara O'Briain sack would come in handy about now.

Este
 
Emphasis mine. There is no such thing and as long as you continue to use drivel from whale.to, then consider it a courtesy that you will be ignored. I think a Dara O'Briain sack would come in handy about now.

Este


Thanks for pointing that out.

There is no 'alternative view to science', science is a method.

'truthseeker'
If you are not going to apply the scientific method properly, I request you use the pre-scientific world and terms that natural hygiene came from.
 
Last edited:
A survey is not the same thing as hard data, and especially not when the doctors said that they "planned" to take the flu shot.

Here is another survey (from 2011):

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that everyone be vaccinated, but only about 63 percent of health care workers are, according to a survey published by the CDC in August." -- http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/health/many-health-care-workers-shun-flu-shots#ixzz1eCSo7xUS
You are mixing apples and oranges. Physicians is a select group of health care workers. Linda (fls) posted links before to stats that over 85% of physicians get flu shots. I'm not going to hunt the data down but be my guest.

I am well aware of the ignorance of flu vaccination among health care workers. I deal with them all the time. 63% is good. We are getting there.
 
You are mixing apples and oranges. Physicians is a select group of health care workers. Linda (fls) posted links before to stats that over 85% of physicians get flu shots. I'm not going to hunt the data down but be my guest.

I am well aware of the ignorance of flu vaccination among health care workers. I deal with them all the time. 63% is good. We are getting there.

Still, "planned" to take the flu shot is not the same as actually having taken it. Smacks of a biased survey.
 
trusetheeker, why was the incidence of measles in 1970 only 10% of the levels in 1960 in the USA?

That was one you said you knew about. So why did measles morbidity plunge so dramatically in ten years? Be sure to provide actual factual documentation for your answer.
 
The fls citation was re docs who had the flu vaccination. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

I meant this:

"The online survey of 400 doctors showed 95 percent planned to get a flu vaccine this season, and 96 percent said they recommend the vaccine to friends and family." -- http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/10/07/us-flu-usa-idUSTRE6964I820101007

My guess is that the question in the survey to the doctors went something like: "As a safety measure for your patients, are you planning (wink, wink) to take the flu vaccine?" :D
 
I would also recommend that the OP's wife read a few of the autobiographies of people who either contracted polio or those who ended up living their life in an iron lung.

There are still a few people who are living in iron lungs due to polio.

I would highly recommend 'Over My Dead Body' by June Opie. She was a young Kiwi girl who was travelling by boat to England in the late 1940s to study, and thinks she contracted polio in Cairo.

And I recommend to her to read about the people who lost their lives or health immediately or shortly after taking the vaccine. Nothing like life-long protection, hey!
 
Originally Posted by trusetheeker View Post
You've got it completely wrong. What I'm saying is that our trust in these people has never been justified and we should still be extremely suspicious of their actions and motives. I'm pulling together a few other bits of woo evidence for you guys to continue to ignore, as I'm sure you'll have heard it all before. Eventually you'll see why I've hitched my horse to an alternative understanding of science.

Emphasis mine. There is no such thing and as long as you continue to use drivel from whale.to, then consider it a courtesy that you will be ignored. I think a Dara O'Briain sack would come in handy about now.

Este

Incorrect. You previously mentioned the absence of "opinion" in making decisions in your field but we see evidence continually of "medical opinions" and scientists' conclusions (opinions) based on scientific results.

We also see plenty of evidence of fraud in the science world:
Schön scandal
---
Scientific fraud and the power structure of science - Brian Martin
---
How Many Scientists Fabricate and Falsify Research?

Apologies for selective quoting :p - When these factors were controlled for (sic), misconduct was reported more frequently by medical/pharmacological researchers than others.
---

Even your beloved Brian Deer gets into the act:
Scientific fraud in the UK: The time has come for regulation

What got this [professor of structural biology]'s goat was my suggestion that scientists are no more trustworthy than restaurant managers or athletes.
---
The medical establishment shielded Andrew Wakefield from fraud claims

So, what's my point? I think these comments reveal a striking pattern: doctors default to defending other doctors. In fact, until recently there was a GMC regulation that banned them from bad-mouthing colleagues.

---
As was pointed out by one of the other skeptics, you can confirm vaccine effectiveness through lab tests with control groups. (if (vaccine + exposure=no disease) AND (no vaccine + exposure=disease) then vaccine is effective) but it's only through extensive use over time that you find whether the vaccine was actually safe and providing a benefit (and then, only if you're paying attention and willing to consider the evidence.)

The true arbitrator of what is right and what is wrong is the results and from my viewpoint, the results of vaccine are some short term death and damage but a world full of long term health problems. If only governments would invest the same amount of money on feeding and sheltering their disadvantaged people, they would soon find the whole vaccine industry redundant.

You can deride whale.to as much as you want. Would you discount a science program seen on television due to the fact that most of the airtime is filled with rubbish? From what I've seen, whale.to contains a large amount of useful information for consideration. By referring to any one document, I'm not endorsing everything found there.
 
Thanks for pointing that out.

There is no 'alternative view to science', science is a method.

Please see my recent reply on this subject

'truthseeker'
Sorry but you'll find that my username is 'trusetheeker'

If you are not going to apply the scientific method properly, I request you use the pre-scientific world and terms that natural hygiene came from.

I will use the terms that I know from my study of Natural Hygiene and remind you that it arose from and still relies on the scientific method as well as decades of successful practical application.
 
trusetheeker, why was the incidence of measles in 1970 only 10% of the levels in 1960 in the USA?

That was one you said you knew about. So why did measles morbidity plunge so dramatically in ten years? Be sure to provide actual factual documentation for your answer.

Chris, what I said was:

I was not aware of items 1-3 above and now that I am, I don't see how they make any difference to the argument. As for item 4, what do we have here? are these the real unadulterated stats or are they adjusted to prove the official position? ("lies, damned lies, and statistics!") Taken as accurate, they still should not provide comfort to anyone because the tradeoff is years of chronic illness instead of a few weeks of acute illness.

I didn't say that I knew about it. My answer stands as it is as the stats do not prove that the measles vaccine was actually a benefit to mankind.
 
Incorrect. You previously mentioned the absence of "opinion" in making decisions in your field but we see evidence continually of "medical opinions" and scientists' conclusions (opinions) based on scientific results.

We also see plenty of evidence of fraud in the science world:
Schön scandal
---
Scientific fraud and the power structure of science - Brian Martin
---
How Many Scientists Fabricate and Falsify Research?


---

Even your beloved Brian Deer gets into the act:
Scientific fraud in the UK: The time has come for regulation


---
The medical establishment shielded Andrew Wakefield from fraud claims



---
As was pointed out by one of the other skeptics, you can confirm vaccine effectiveness through lab tests with control groups. (if (vaccine + exposure=no disease) AND (no vaccine + exposure=disease) then vaccine is effective) but it's only through extensive use over time that you find whether the vaccine was actually safe and providing a benefit (and then, only if you're paying attention and willing to consider the evidence.)

The true arbitrator of what is right and what is wrong is the results and from my viewpoint, the results of vaccine are some short term death and damage but a world full of long term health problems. If only governments would invest the same amount of money on feeding and sheltering their disadvantaged people, they would soon find the whole vaccine industry redundant.

You can deride whale.to as much as you want. Would you discount a science program seen on television due to the fact that most of the airtime is filled with rubbish? From what I've seen, whale.to contains a large amount of useful information for consideration. By referring to any one document, I'm not endorsing everything found there.

Holy crap, I can't believe you are using the Andrew Wakefield example.

Yes, there was an issue of the true nature of his fraudulent research, unethical practices with children and conflict of interest to make shed loads of money, but there were scientists and other doctors denouncing him almost immediately.

Notice that in all your cases of fraud, we know about them.

And how do we know about them?

Because it is in the nature of how science works that you critically examine other people's work and rip it apart if necessary.



Andrew Wakefield is a perfect example of how this works.

He was dismissed from the Royal Free Hospital as he did not take up their offer to take a year to actually investigate his initial pilot study a year after he published his paper.

That he was exposed within a decade of his fraudulent, evil research is and indication that science works.

A lot of the issue was that the media ran with the story based on a study of 12 children, which is not good scientific journalism.

I can't believe you want further studies.

As was pointed out by one of the other skeptics, you can confirm vaccine effectiveness through lab tests with control groups. (if (vaccine + exposure=no disease) AND (no vaccine + exposure=disease) then vaccine is effective) but it's only through extensive use over time that you find whether the vaccine was actually safe and providing a benefit (and then, only if you're paying attention and willing to consider the evidence.)

Go on, tell me how you would tell a vaccine would work based on a lab test.

I assert you have no flipping idea what you are talking about.

We have had vaccination for over 200 years, and if you consider variolation by the Chinese (also for small pox), then we have had 'innoculation' for over 1000 years.

The studies are in, vaccination works.

PS. Your suggestion for vaccinating and not vaccinating would not be done as it would be considered to be unethical, as we know vaccination prevents disease.

However, as you are a scientific cretin, I am not surprised.

This is also typical of the anti-vaxxers, they don't seem to really care about evidence, reality or the morbidity and mortality of people.

Seriously, get a proper education and then maybe we can have a discussion of issues with vaccination.
 
Last edited:
they would soon find the whole vaccine industry redundant.
The goal is that we don't vaccinate in the future and make the vaccine industry redundant! It's been done for smallpox; polio and measles are close behind.
 
As was pointed out by one of the other skeptics, you can confirm vaccine effectiveness through lab tests with control groups. (if (vaccine + exposure=no disease) AND (no vaccine + exposure=disease) then vaccine is effective) but it's only through extensive use over time that you find whether the vaccine was actually safe and providing a benefit (and then, only if you're paying attention and willing to consider the evidence.)
Are you accepting that vaccines work now?
 
The bodies inability to mount an acute "disease" means that it cannot detoxify itself efficiently which is just storing up for something worse in the future.

Could you please restate this, as at present it makes no sense.

If this is the case with Hib, it should be reflected in the stats somewhere.

Stats showing what?

Unfortunately finding the knock-on affect isn't easy but there'll be some sharp individuals on the case already.

It's been 20 years. Any anomalous effects would be apparent already.

Nothing you posted comes anywhere close to explaining what caused the virtual disappearance of Hib-related disease in the early 90s.
 
trusetheeker, why was the incidence of measles in 1970 only 10% of the levels in 1960 in the USA?

10%.
I'm looking forward to reading the response to this question because it's about information the OP could possibly cite to his wife.
I have a number of anti-vacc, anti medicine colleagues and this discussion is interesting for the amount of information being posted..
 
Last edited:
10%.
I'm looking forward to reading the response to this question because it's about information the OP could possibly cite to his wife.
I have a number of anti-vacc, anti medicine colleagues and this discussion is interesting for the amount of information being posted..

I wouldn't hold my breath. I asked essentially the same question using the Hib vaccine as an example. It was licensed in 1988, and went into use in the 90s. By 1993 cases of Hib-related illnesses virtually disappeared. There is no way to explain this other than the vaccine.

You can see by his reply that he has no answer.
 
Chris, what I said was:

I didn't say that I knew about it. My answer stands as it is as the stats do not prove that the measles vaccine was actually a benefit to mankind.

Then provide the reason for the rapid decline in measles. Either you know or you don't. And your refusal to answer is quite telling.

10%.
I'm looking forward to reading the response to this question because it's about information the OP could possibly cite to his wife.
I have a number of anti-vacc, anti medicine colleagues and this discussion is interesting for the amount of information being posted..

You might want to look here, and his four part series. You will see why Trusetheeker refuses to answer.

I wouldn't hold my breath.....

I usually don't. It is quite entertaining to see all of sidestepping and excuses.

I recently read Pox: An American History, which details how Immanuel Pfeffer was also very much into the "Natural Hygiene" stuff Trusetheeker writes about. Pfeiffer claimed his lifestyle, diet, etc would protect him from getting smallpox. It did not. He was very sick, and actually tried to hide that fact.

A point that was completely missed (or ignored) by Trusetheeker.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom