tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Aug 8, 2008
- Messages
- 18,095
As far as I know, they are subject to special audits, if Congress should ever choose to do so. How or why should they be categorically exempt? I certainly never suggested they should be.
My point is that if a program you backed was being bullied like this, I doubt you'd just shrug your shoulders and I'm all but certain you wouldn't be chastising those opposing the wrongdoing.
Again with the "should". People should be nice. But they frequently aren't. Government should be staffed with only competent politicians and bureaucrats who have only our best interests at heart. But it isn't. The complaints in this thread amount to people getting upset when they're confronted with this fact.
People 'shouldn't' kill each other, but they frequently do. People shouldn't get upset when confronted with this fact. Come on, that's a non-argument.
And that's a naive request. You're never going to get it. The best you can ever hope for is strings that favor you, but even that is only ever temporary.
I don't care if it's naive, I want them to at least pretend they are being fair, and have to keep up appearances. They aren't even trying. I don't care that wanting fair and honest policies is naive or that it's 'never' going to happen, I still fight for it. We'll never have a perfect society, but that doesn't mean one stops trying or accepts it when things get worse.
That's what government does. You think that's new? Of course not. The only difference is now it's your ox that's being gored.
Right, it's much better to never have an ox in the first place. Well argued.
I didn't say there weren't legitimate complaints about what's going on. But they're the same complaints that basically always apply to government. So if you want to complain less about government, try this on for size: have less government to complain about.
This logic is astonishing. These Republicans are being inefficient and wasteful bullies to attack a program that is a good use of public funds, so the solution is the agree with the Republicans, make government smaller, and let the good program go away! While you're at it, cut your nose off to spite your face.
If we did make government smaller, would these inefficient Republicans promise to leave or at least govern better? No, so that seems to be a poor solution to the problem doesn't it? I'll stick with promoting good government rather than simply giving up because these Republicans are going to ruin it anyway. Because they think government is bad, we should expect them to govern badly? Humbug.