Yes / No / Do not know... that is the question.
Absolute nonsense. I even explained it as a two-step process either here or in Webb’s other stupid thread. Nobody has denied that the process of creating the loan engenders a credit to the borrower’s account that comes “out of thin air”. The point that the nutters are missing is that this is irrelevant. What matters is where the money comes from when the loan is accessed by the borrower. It doesn’t come from “thin air” it comes from the reserves of the bank (which come from customer deposits).
Let's assume for the moment that you explained the two part process of making the loan and then having the amount transferred correctly. Let's start backward on the claims in this post for the part quoted above.
1. Reserves do
not just come from deposits, they also come from the bank's capital. So that statement is in error. Matching to each loan is at least an equal amount of debt in the form of the loan promissory note.
2. What does "comes from" mean to you? When the loan amount is accessed as you put it, transferred as I would put it, both the money in the deposit account and in reserves goes down. Two things go down, which means "comes from" does not have its usual easy meaning. If you say it comes from reserves, than why are you singling out reserves as being so special? Why not deposits, why not both? Why not neither? It is just as arbitrary in the end.
Really, if you agree that both reserves and deposits go down in the sending bank and up in receiving bank in equal amount after a transfer occurs, then at least on that issue, I am in agreement with you.
3. I do not see how the fact that loans coming out "thin air" is made any less relevant by total reserves remaining constant (barring actions by the central bank). Both at least are relevant to banking, so define for me how one being true makes the other one irrelevant, even though it is also true.
4. Many people have no idea how FRB works, or that it even exists. I have seen videos with Tea Party type people trying to explain FRB and doing it wrong. I have also seen many videos of people you would probably not call 'nutters', because they are just average everyday people, that have not even heard of Fractional Reserve Banking. Really, your or my own, or anyone else's political feelings makes zero difference as to how the mechanics of FRB works, which is the main thing we have been discussing and the main topic of the the thread.
5. In my post titled "Example for Startz, just to clear things up." I did not use a bunch of equations. I used just a balance sheet and some numbers. I would like a yes, no, or don't know, as to whether you agree with the description of the transactions occurring in that post. By all means break things up to multiple yes/no or don't knows if you want.
If yes on something, then me you and psionl0 are all in agreement as to the mechanics of how FRB works for that item. If no, I will present an argument to show why I think this is the wrong conclusion. If don't know, then you do not know how FRB works as per that aspect.
This is completely and utterly wrong (of course). Though you might need a licence to act as a bank (what don’t you need a licence for these days?) the actual process of double-entry book keeping is not a magical ability of banks and anyone can create deposits out of thin air if they want to. This of course doesn’t fly with tensordyne’s conspiracy beliefs so he’ll never understand this.
So, now one needs a license to do these kinds of actions. There is then something banks do that you can not (well, at least not without a license). That thing is run a legal business that works as per FRB. If your statement were correct, one would have pawn shops and pay-day loan operations acting like commercial banks and credit unions. They do not, ergo, there is something different about how FRB handles money. The difference is in the loan process. The mathematics is pretty clear on this point.
I never made mention of magic, although at times I suspect that Tippit would like us all to live in the Harry Potter universe with Gringott's Bank as the preferred form of banking. Double entry bookkeeping happens for more than just banks. Fractional reserves, that does not happen in anything other then FRB institutions. That is why there is the FR in FRB.
All the best to you all!