• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

How the banks create money

I'm probably not being very clear about my real question. There's nothing mysterious about fractional reserve banking. The mechanics get covered in standard college economics courses taken by every economics major, usually in their sophomore or junior year. The thing I don't understand is what it is that people find confusing or mysterious. I'm not asking which piece one party here thinks that another party here gets wrong. I'm asking for insight as to why people find this hard to understand (which many people clearly do). Is the problem not being used to thinking in economic models? Is it that people have views as to whether fractional reserve banking is good or bad, and this somehow leads to them arguing over the mechanics? Some other source of confusion?
 
The Continental was oversupplied but not over-issued. I thought I covered this myself. The Continental was counterfeited (the real kind of counterfeiting, not the kind you always allude to) by various parties far in excess to how much the Continental Government issued. It was a form of Economic Warfare that the Brits have used before. Two of the counterfeiters even sued each other in British Court, which is part of the reason why it is known this happened in the first place!

If you want more specifics I can look them up. I do not know what psionl0's response to this would or will be, but that is my response.

Congratz Tippit on at least faithfully representing other people's arguments. It is a good step.

Right. Never before have currencies been over-issued. Its been counterfeiters, speculators, or counterfeit speculators. Whether it was Weimar Germany, Yugoslavia, or Zimbabwe, central banks, according to you, aren't to blame. Maybe I was hasty in proclaiming your honesty. Or maybe you're just suffering from some delusion that impedes your ability to parse history in any rational, sensible way. Either way, arguing with you, and all of your attendant insults, as well as your puerille posting style is a complete waste of time. I encourage you to save as much as you can in your beloved fiat currencies, and see how history treats you.
 
Various and sundry.

:boxedin:

I'm probably not being very clear about my real question. There's nothing mysterious about fractional reserve banking. The mechanics get covered in standard college economics courses taken by every economics major, usually in their sophomore or junior year. The thing I don't understand is what it is that people find confusing or mysterious. I'm not asking which piece one party here thinks that another party here gets wrong. I'm asking for insight as to why people find this hard to understand (which many people clearly do). Is the problem not being used to thinking in economic models? Is it that people have views as to whether fractional reserve banking is good or bad, and this somehow leads to them arguing over the mechanics? Some other source of confusion?

Well, I for one never took any sophomore or junior level economics courses (I am sure most of the population of the world has not either). Can I take it that you are an Economics Major or graduate, or perhaps the equivalent in another major? Right now I am reading a PDF that I take it is written at that level covering fractional reserve banking, amongst other topics. I think you are asking as a person whose perspective is one of knowledge and wants to be treated as such.

I would say first off there are quite a number of really bad and contradictory videos on the Internet, as well as articles and such. Before I found "Modern Money Mechanics", I had, as far as I can tell, no reliable, in the sense of authoritative, information to go on. I have an even better source now in many ways, but the more I look into it, the more I realise there is to know. psionl0 helped me out on at least two of my own misunderstandings of the subject.

You asked, "is it people not being used to thinking in economic models?", no, I think one problem is, it is thinking in terms of any kind of mathematical model at all. The most mathematics people usually are required to do is addition, subtraction and multiplication, to balance their chequebook for instance. I hear people sometime talk about the money multiplier. People get it wrong so often it is painful to me. They say obviously wrong things like "then the bank multiplies the amount of money by 10..."

As for the good and bad and then arguing over mechanics. I guess I should tell you my story when it comes to economics. I took a freshman level economics course once. I really did not like it. There was something odd in the way the topic was arranged it seemed to me. Being a physics major, I expected to see some graphs every so often with error bars, realistic units, data based on real world examples, that sort of thing. I never saw that. It was just made up graph after made up graph.

I noticed once my professor was comparing a derivative rate to an average rate and coming to various conclusions (like comparing speed versus velocity, wrong!). After that I also noticed that there was this sing-songy like way about how the answers on tests were supposed to be done. You remember which story to tell in response to which type of question and then fill in the pieces by rote and a little ingenuity. So I seriously started to suspect the intellectual legitimacy of Economics. It looked like to me for many of the things covered in my microecon class, like the Economists just stole a bunch of equilibrium thermodynamics ideas from the physicists and wrapped it up in terms like marginal, elastic, etc.

That is when I found out about Steve Keen. I still have not read his book "Debunking Economics", but reading his online articles I could see for sure Economics was a seriously ill profession. The equivalent of an intellectual dead end (Neoclassical Economics that is). After that, hmmm, well, I eventually read about Henry George. Read Zarlenga's tome of a book. Just reading and reading. Keen's new book is out next month and I can not wait to read it. I get the feeling like I will get the equivalent of an overview of economics undergrad education, all the while showing why it is nonsense. Another missing piece as it were in my knowledge about economics.

On the "good versus bad and then wanting to understand mechanics" theme even more, it is an interesting observation. I think people often make the mistake of confusing normative questions with logical questions. People want to go as fast as possible to whether something is good or bad, evil or nice. They do not want to take the time to assess the situation. I think in many cases you can not know if something is good or bad until you really understand how it works.

Fractional Reserve Banking is that way. For myself, I really just want to understand how it works, and then when I do, I will think about the good and the bad and leave it at that.

So Startz, is the mathematics me and psionl0 been doing in regard to FRB correct, as far as you can tell?

Oh yeah, to me there is nothing very mysterious about for instance Special Relativity, but man do people royally screw up on the ideas in SR often. My guess is it is a very similar phenomena going on.

:boxedin::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:boxedin:
Hope that answered your question and then some!
 
Fiat, the car or the money?

Right. Never before have currencies been over-issued. Its been counterfeiters, speculators, or counterfeit speculators. Whether it was Weimar Germany, Yugoslavia, or Zimbabwe, central banks, according to you, aren't to blame. Maybe I was hasty in proclaiming your honesty. Or maybe you're just suffering from some delusion that impedes your ability to parse history in any rational, sensible way. Either way, arguing with you, and all of your attendant insults, as well as your puerille posting style is a complete waste of time. I encourage you to save as much as you can in your beloved fiat currencies, and see how history treats you.

No, quite to the contrary, while I do not as yet know about the case of Yugoslavia, in Weimar Germany and Zimbabwe the currencies were definitely over-issued. In the case of the Colonial Scrip, it was not over-issued because the government issued a limited supply and used what it issued to buy goods and services and not fund speculative financial instruments.

I apologise for the puerile (you misspelled it in the quote I think) nature of my posts. I was trying to have some fun.

I take it from the lack of response to the big post I did recently that you have no counter-arguments to the arguments I presented? I think you must be encouraging me to save in 'fiat' currencies of today as an act of spite, as we both know that many of them will be having problems. Perhaps though I should save in the fiat currency that Iceland is making. Or in bitcoins. That looks like a good fiat money (as all money is fiat after all).

:boxedin: :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: :boxedin:
All the best to you Tippit!
 
This last part is kind of like the part that Sceptic-PK thinks of as the loan process. It is not how a loan is made though, it is how a transfer is made. Sceptic-PK, to the best of my abilities at analysing nonsense, thinks that loans are the same as transfers, in the sense of the action given above (somewhat, my best guess is Sceptic-PK thinks loans work the same way you balance a chequebook). He says loans come from reserves. This is simply not the case.

Absolute nonsense. I even explained it as a two-step process either here or in Webb’s other stupid thread. Nobody has denied that the process of creating the loan engenders a credit to the borrower’s account that comes “out of thin air”. The point that the nutters are missing is that this is irrelevant. What matters is where the money comes from when the loan is accessed by the borrower. It doesn’t come from “thin air” it comes from the reserves of the bank (which come from customer deposits).

Sceptic-PK likes to say banks do the same thing we all can do. This is simply not so. If we did the type of accounting above, especially in the loan making part of the steps, we would go to jail. I am not trying to say that to sound all conspiracy theory like, it is simply a statement of fact -- we would probably get caught and end up serving time for breaking some kind of law (Banking without a License?).

This is completely and utterly wrong (of course). Though you might need a licence to act as a bank (what don’t you need a licence for these days?) the actual process of double-entry book keeping is not a magical ability of banks and anyone can create deposits out of thin air if they want to. This of course doesn’t fly with tensordyne’s conspiracy beliefs so he’ll never understand this.
 
:boxedin:
Well, I for one never took any sophomore or junior level economics

Shocking!

I'm probably not being very clear about my real question. There's nothing mysterious about fractional reserve banking. The mechanics get covered in standard college economics courses taken by every economics major, usually in their sophomore or junior year. The thing I don't understand is what it is that people find confusing or mysterious. I'm not asking which piece one party here thinks that another party here gets wrong. I'm asking for insight as to why people find this hard to understand (which many people clearly do). Is the problem not being used to thinking in economic models? Is it that people have views as to whether fractional reserve banking is good or bad, and this somehow leads to them arguing over the mechanics? Some other source of confusion?

Anti-banking paranoia has always been a rather popular past time, but certainly has increased in recent years with lots of poorly-made youtube videos coming out that some people are too thick to analyse critically (you can say the same for many areas of “alternative” interpretations of reality, the internet has been a boon for the crazies). Certainly recent economic turmoil and bailouts has brought banking to the forefront of people’s minds. Because people like psi and tensordyne have strong anti-bank positions, they are blinded by their bias in attempting to understand how this part of the world works. They completely ignore the benefits of FRB as well. If you look over the web the amount of bad information re fractional lending is extreme, and such positions are normally held in conjunction with other crazy views (psi is a “freeman on the land” type for instance, lulz!).
 
Oh, one more thing about Fractional Reserve Banking Startz, in a very real way FRB is not all that simple of a system. I am saying this as a physicist who understands GR and Quantum Mechanics and such.

Why is it that when a transfer happens deposits and reserves is effected? How do you calculate required reserves and all that given the different types of accounts and so on? There are quite a few seemingly arbitrary rules in there. I say seemingly because I can see the logic in how those rules work, but I am sure to people who do nothing more than balance their chequebooks FRB must seem like a maze of rules and procedures.

I mean, to really master all the ins and outs is probably something that takes quite a while. Members on the Federal Reserve Board for instance probably argue worse than we do here about minutiae of various kinds probably none of us here even know about (even you, even supposing you are an economics major!).

Just some thoughts.
 
why do I respond at all?

Shocking!

Have you taken any classes in economics Sceptic-PK? Just curious.

Anti-banking paranoia has always been a rather popular past time, but certainly has increased in recent years with lots of poorly-made youtube videos coming out that some people are too thick to analyse critically (you can say the same for many areas of “alternative” interpretations of reality, the internet has been a boon for the crazies). Certainly recent economic turmoil and bailouts has brought banking to the forefront of people’s minds. Because people like psi and tensordyne have strong anti-bank positions, they are blinded by their bias in attempting to understand how this part of the world works. They completely ignore the benefits of FRB as well. If you look over the web the amount of bad information re fractional lending is extreme, and such positions are normally held in conjunction with other crazy views (psi is a “freeman on the land” type for instance, lulz!).

Sceptic-PK, from what I understand, you can not even do basic algebra. I hate to have to bring that up, but it seems to me, if you can not even do algebra, what position are you in to evaluate the thinking of people who can? Who can think abstractly about mathematical topics and think through their consequences?

Anti-banking ideas have existed since time immemorial. Thomas Jefferson warned about private banking. I am not against banking, I am against banking that is controlled primarily by private parties. If the system we have now worked so well then why do we seem to have crashes every 20 years or so? It doesn't is the answer.

I for one do understand the benefits of FRB. I do not have a problem at all with the idea of an elastic money supply. I like the Pennsylvania Banking system model of banking. I have the general feeling, not borne out yet completely enough to my own satisfaction, that our current banking system is unstable.

From what I can tell Sceptic-PK, you know very little, understand less and just want to rail against thoughtful dissenters to the status quo by complaining about the less thoughtful dissenters. Sometimes the Emperor has no clothes, and sometimes the Emperor is decked out in full regalia. I do not expect that you will notice the difference Sceptic-PK because you are too busy trying to fight anyone who says anything about the Emperor to even look at him.

Yawn, another wasted bit of typing.
 
Have you taken any classes in economics Sceptic-PK? Just curious.

Only one in second-year because there weren’t enough politics units for my double major that semester. And yes, I barely scraped through with a credit average. It was pretty hard! ;) We never touched on FRB either.

Sceptic-PK, from what I understand, you can not even do basic algebra. I hate to have to bring that up, but it seems to me, if you can not even do algebra, what position are you in to evaluate the thinking of people who can? Who can think abstractly about mathematical topics and think through their consequences?

Of course I can. I am just seriously rusty to give your immense piles of BS the attention they no-doubt deserve! Given the woeful inferences you have made from MMM in words, I have no reason to assume your maths is any better (though like I said I hope that it is) and it really isn’t worth my time re-learning such topics to win an internet argument.

Anti-banking ideas have existed since time immemorial. Thomas Jefferson warned about private banking. I am not against banking, I am against banking that is controlled primarily by private parties. If the system we have now worked so well then why do we seem to have crashes every 20 years or so? It doesn't is the answer.

Capitalism is anarchic. There will always be crises occurring. You can’t control trillions of choices by billions of people.

From what I can tell Sceptic-PK, you know very little, understand less and just want to rail against thoughtful dissenters to the status quo by complaining about the less thoughtful dissenters. Sometimes the Emperor has no clothes, and sometimes the Emperor is decked out in full regalia. I do not expect that you will notice the difference Sceptic-PK because you are too busy trying to fight anyone who says anything about the Emperor to even look at him.

Incorrect. All I care about is dishonest claims and the wilful ignorance you have been showing in this thread concerning FRB. Even though your mathematics shows that loans are funded by reserves, you still refuse to accept that fact. I suspect your anti banking biases are preventing you from seeing the bleeding obvious, but that is mere speculation on my part.
 
Nobody has denied that the process of creating the loan engenders a credit to the borrower’s account that comes “out of thin air”.


Except for Sceptic-PK:
The “new money” isn’t really new at all, it is merely the money the bank has on deposit being loaned to another customer. This, of course, creates new deposits in the banking system
Yet again you are trying to reverse the order and say the money comes from the bank's vault first then it is deposited into a bank account.

I have news for you. You can't say the magic word "exposition" and reverse the natural order of things.
 
Except for Sceptic-PK:Yet again you are trying to reverse the order and say the money comes from the bank's vault first then it is deposited into a bank account.

I am trying to do nothing of the sort (you do an amazing job of “reading between the lines” when misunderstanding things like MMM, but are a complete pedant otherwise. Why is that?). I’m just cutting through your and the other crazies’ BS by stating that when all is said and done, the money for loans come from bank customer deposits. I said nothing about the order of the process in question, which I was rather categorical about only yesterday.
 
Ah, I see you’re now denying your subscription to freeman ideology. I would too if I were you! Not particularly honest though psi.
 
Did you know that governments and states are really just companies that are listed on the stock exchange?

Governments (companies) has set up a STRAWMAN in each of our names. Only the STRAWMAN owes taxes etc to the government.

When we sign documents with the government (company) we become surety for the STRAWMAN and have to pay its taxes, duties etc

Whatever you say man!
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom