response to a response of the previous response... I am NOT responsible!
{Note: I was working on this when the whole Tippit/Sceptic-PK explosion of posts occurred.}
{I think I should get it out now before too much time passes. The Poor vs. Rich Bank that}
{I hope to analyse will have to wait for tomorrow. I think there is enough in here to be }
{read through already... I hope it is at least marginally enjoyable to you psionl0! }
I would have thought "engineer". Engineers are less likely to be worried about the form of an equation (nor even its validity sometimes) as long as it is useful.
Oh, the form of an equation is what mathematicians definitely care about most. It's particular representation (what letters you use to represent what variables, or statements that are equivalent) do not matter to them, except as something to be noted.
Myself, I am somewhere between being a mathematician and an engineer, also known as a physicist. This makes me remember a joke I have heard.
A mathematician, physicist and engineer are in a field with a rancher. The rancher wants to enclose a bunch of cattle in some fencing. First the engineer takes a whack at it. The engineer estimates feeding space, corrects for the incline of some part of the property, does some other estimates and multiplies the numbers by two. After this the engineer then sets up fencing in a nice and neat square arrangement.
The rancher looks at it and remarks it was a good job, perhaps a little more costly than expected, but workable as a solution.
Then the physicist gets his try. The physicist puts all of the cattle closely together and wraps fencing around them. Then the physicist takes out a ratchet and starts squeezing the cattle into an ever tighter ball until the ratchet just will not let off a single bit more of torque to crush the cattle any closer. "Look, I have minimised the ratio of fencing to cattle mass." The rancher just looks on in despair.
Then the mathematician, feeling left out, takes a very small portion of the fencing, wraps it around where the mathematician is standing and points at the inside of where the mathematician is and says, "Let this be the outside..."
I think the joke is very instructive to the mindsets of each type of person involved. I hope you have not heard of the joke before because it is one of my favourites.
A truly diplomatic solution. Agreed.
You are too kind my friend. Still, I thank you for allowing me to not have to remap my brain as it were.
Sorry to put you on the spot like that. Just making sure I haven't lost you. The caveat is that a bank can only spend money from its capital account if it has excess reserves. This is obvious when the bank A transfers money from its capital account to a demand deposit account at another bank (Bank B):
Bank A: (R1, M1 + S1, L1) -> (R1 - i, M1 + (S1 - i), L1)
Bank B: (R2, M2 + S2, L2) -> (R2 + i, (M2 + i), S2, L2)
This is also true if the bank transfers money to one of its own demand deposit account holders. D = M + S and RR = 0.1 * M (not RR = 0.1 * D).
As you pointed out D = (M + i) + (S - i). Since the amount of money in the demand deposit accounts has increased (M + i), so must the required reserves which can only come from excess reserves.
Hmmm, very interesting. I was actually guessing that something like RR = 0.1 * M must have been what you were referring to, but I included the equation I had anyway because it was how I understood FRB to be up to that point. No worries about putting me on the spot, do so whenever you want.
So, now I am looking for evidence of the assertion RR = 0.1 * M in MMM. I could be lazy and just ask for it like last time, but I think I should at least try and look before I ask for that. Actually, reading between the lines of MMM already convinces me of the worthiness of RR = 0.1 * M idea. So far you have corrected me twice and for that I thank you very much! Part of the point of going on this forum was for me to gain a better understanding of how FRB works, and now I have that better understanding.
I think I should note that in the version of MMM I have it detail how the Garn-St. Germain Act of 1982, as well as the Monetary Control Act, place certain separate restrictions on the form of the reserve requirements. I am still trying to parse what MMM says in the section quoting all the laws.
Oh yeah, I noticed you used a quadruple in the Bank B formula. I know what you mean but perhaps it should be codified all the same. (R, D, L) for triple and (R, M, S, L) for a quadruple. When writing (R, (A) + (B), L) it means that A = M and B = S, although by context alone it should hopefully be apparent what is meant.
Start of First Draft of Post Covering How FRB works.
MMM stands for Modern Money Mechanics.
Basic FRB Formulas
M = "depository money"
S = "shareholder money"
R = "total reserves"
D = M + S = "Liabilities"
R + L = "Assets"
"Assets" = "Liabilities" so R = D - L = (M + S) - L
RR = r * M = "Required Reserves"
r = n / (n + m); in m:n fractional reserve requirement with r = "reserve ratio percentage"
ER = R - RR = "Excessive Reserves"
The above idealises reserve requirements (see section "Changes in Reserve Requirements" in MMM). In actuality reserve requirements go in tranches and have other considerations.
End of Post.
Of course it is. However, at some point you need to go with the best information you have. Mathematics is better information than the views of any author because it lays bare any fallacious reasoning. In this case, the mathematics is verifying that interest is a problem which was your original claim.
Well, I just feel the problem has not quite been fleshed out with enough rigour for me to feel comfortable yet. I am going to try to do a post soon that takes things hopefully to this point. No promises though. Maybe I will do that post below on the other hand...
My equations analyzed the effect of money being created by the government and demonstrated that it didn't stop debt rising compared to the money supply. (Check those out again).
Oh yeah, that is a good point. I still have to respond to the other two equation posts of yours. I think I will do that next after this post.
The real problem here is not the interest the government may or not pay to the fed (that gets returned to the treasury) but to other bondholders (that is a gift from the taxpayers).
Consider the case where S = 0 (initially) and "R" is paid off as interest:
(R, M + 0, L) -> (R, (M - R) + R, L)
M = R + L so (M - R) = L showing how deposits become less than loans if "R" is paid in interest.
Don't forget that new spending by the government doesn't solve the problem.
I can see more clearly now what you are getting at. First off, man, I am really starting to hate how MMM is written. I am sorry to say that the turn of phrase about having reserves paid into making new loans used above still seems off to me since R does not change. I can see how you can say it eats into excessive reserves however. Maybe I am too literal minded...
Now I think I can get down into hard-core analysis mode though (hopefully that will be something you enjoy psionl0). I have all of the basic formulas, so after this it is just about applying them correctly to come to any relevant conclusions.
I will do that in the next post. I am going to have "The Fed", Rico Bank (bank of the richies) and Almanac Bank (for Poorman's Almanac or bank of poor people). It should be fun.
A case could be made for having a separate thread that discusses interest but this is still tied in with banks creating money so the case could also be made for keeping it in this thread.
It is true that this thread has become large enough that if a question comes up about creating money, we should be able to answer it just by referring to a post number. However, as long as the question of FRB remains unresolved with some members, I would favour a live response instead of a post# so I would prefer to keep this thread alive.
OK, just a thought. I kind of like this thread; it has become sort of homey. For my part, if I had seen a post with the main equations presented up above and some convincing proof based on MMM or other authoritative reference of the validity of those equations, the answer of "How the banks create money" would be done.
I think though high-powered money still needs to be covered to complete the basic picture as it were.

I miss Finsend, where are you at?
