The Newest in the long running saga of Tippit, the middling Priest of Molech
Sound money, hard money, it doesn't matter what you call it. Money with intrinsic value, for which the supply doesn't have a practically unlimited upside. I don't see why you're splitting hairs here.
From this I take it that Sound/Hard Money is either or both of the following according to you:
1. Has Intrinsic Value.
2. Is of finite size, with the indication that no entity could make it larger.
Part 1. is nonsense. Might as well talk about money having dry wetness, objective subjectiveness, etc. Value is a normative term. Intrinsic is an inherently non-normative term. A piece of obsidian may be very valuable to a caveman, but to me it is just a possibly very sharp volcanic rock and therefore not very valuable. The spin of an electron is (1/2) * h-bar. That is its intrinsic spin. Aliens from another planet would say the same thing. That is why it is intrinsic.
At the heart of any flawed philosophy there often is a set of core nonsense beliefs. This is one that goes right to the heart of Austrian Economics. Gold and silver have changed in relative value over the millenia, both to each other and to other items in an economy. If gold or any other substance really did have an intrinsic value, one should be able to say its value is X in some physics based units. It does not have this property, so the whole idea is nonsense.
The best you could say is that gold has historically been held as valuable. That though would just be a statement of common-sense and not a mythologising dictum.
Part 2. at least has the ability to be objective and not requiring money to be gold or other commodity in the circular fashion I asked for earlier.
Asking for an objective definition is not splitting hairs, it is being rational. Thank you for your best try. In terms of the part of the definition that makes some kind of sense, part 2. that is, sovereign money is not Hard/Sound money as so defined.
But then, Sound money is probably not meant in that way is it? What is meant is a money that does not loose or gain in value over time. I have already quoted to you how even one of your own, Adam Smith, said the Colonial Moneys held their value. Huh, guess that would make them a sound money no?
So Schacht, the man with ultimate control over the supply of marks, the counterfeiter-in-chief, as it were, blamed evil "speculators" for the utter annihilation of the mark? Tell me, where did these evil speculators get their supply of marks to short, if not ultimately from Schacht and his policy?
Schacht was put in power
after the hyperinflation occurred. He stabilised the currency of Germany using the Rentenmark and by restricting how many were issued. There was also put in place by him a requirement that the Rentenmarks could not be traded on foreign markets, thus stripping the short-sellers of their profits. It worked too.
By the way, the Banksters are not afraid of gold becoming money. They know that if gold becomes money it will fail and they can lead it back to what they have now, just like what was done in the US over a hundred years ago. They are afraid of sovereign credit however.
...slavery is but the owning of labor and carries with it the care of the laborers, while the European plan... is that capital shall control labor by controlling wages. This can be done by controlling the money. It will not do to allow the Greenback... as we cannot control that."
-- Hazard Circular of July 1862
The Banksters already have control of your precious Gold and Silver Tippit. I will leave this argument here so you can come to the wrong conclusions in due course.
In order to short something, one must first borrow it, and in order to borrow it requires it to pre-exist, or be conjured into existence simultaneously. Funny, I seem to recall reading something in the news recently about how higher global commodity prices are the fault of those evil speculators, with no mention of Mr. Bernanke. It seems this particular lie has a long shelf-life. No, the price of fiat money is the reciprocal of the price of the goods and services that it denominates, which itself is intimately related to its supply. This is basic economics 101, the supply-demand model. If this is an example of Zarlenga's work, I'm unimpressed.
So you have noticed that a current trend has a parallel to what Zarlenga (technically the article I quoted from is by Ellen Brown) has noted for the past. That would probably mean history is going to repeat itself, and, what do you know? So far it seems to be happening. That would put their work in a positive light in my book as a warning sign.
As far as Mr. Bernanke goes, maybe they should have mentioned him then.
What, specifically is the lie?
It is interesting your model of how money is valued. So when I buy an item for $10, the price of the money is $(1/10), or is it 1/$10, also known as 0.1 inverse dollars. Really, I have no idea what you are getting at because it seems like a bunch of nonsense to me. It seems like to me if one widget exists and is worth $1 when there is $10 to be had, then 10 widgets should be each worth $10 when there is $100 to be had. That is all Ellen Brown is trying to point out in that connection.
So in order to defend fiat money, you're left with advocating national socialism, and quoting Hitler. This is an example of the statism that accompanies fiat money. You are a statist. Perhaps an unwitting statist, but a statist nevertheless. You act as though full employment is some miraculous achievement. The government could declare a military draft, and we would have full employment overnight. Hopefully military bureaucrats would plan for enough farms and farmers so that the population doesn't starve, ala Stalin.
I am not a statist and I am, sorry to disappoint you, not a Nazi. I am pretty sure you haven't the foggiest what I really am, which to the best of my knowledge would be described as a Georgist (Henry George) Sovereign Creditist with some ideas all my own mixed in (Liberal socially speaking). I think you are an Austrian School Anarcho-Capitalist, no? By all means correct me if I am wrong.
If I was a statist, I would think that the state should serve the interests of some elite with the people merely going along for the punishing ride. That is not what I think, thank you very much! Nor is it what the policies I advocate for have led to, historically speaking.
Did you happen to notice that Henry C. K. Liu said "even before armament spending began." There falls the argument you made about how it is not extraordinary to have full employment in this case. Or how Germany was stripped of overseas colonies to exploit, had ruinous war reparations, massive inflation and zero chance of foreign investment, and thus by the conventional logic, should be dead in the water. The implication is then that sovereign credit was what allowed Germany to have such a strong economy. Naw...
Nope, make up some BS about the economic policies of sovereign credit in connection to Nazi Germany, by using an argument that directly goes against history, in order to discount any idea that goes against your precious golden-calf god notions. I guess I should have expected nothing less (really, I didn't expect anything less, that is what makes it so funny to me).
Look, I don't think you really comprehend the issue here. Fiat money can work, I'm not disputing that. If the supply is limited, and it isn't used as a regressive form of taxation that would otherwise be called theft if it were done privately by a counterfeiter, it can work. The problem isn't that it can't work, for a time, the problem is that given the immense profits of seigniorage, and the weakness of human nature, it is bound to fail, catastrophically.
Can work, as in, how well? Because that is the main issue I want to bring to bear. It works damn well if done in the way that Nazi German, Lincoln with his Greenbacks or certain Colonial money cases were done. Do you agree or disagree with that?
As for the problem of corruption, that is a social issue and separate in a very real way with how well Sovereign Credit works when applied as such. It is an interesting question though. I guess one would have to compare the various systems, see how corruption happens and see how Sovereign Credit type monetary systems compare.
So far, all that I can see is people have been duped by the Banksters no matter what system is in place. The solution then (if one takes it that Sovereign Credit works well, as it does) is education and institutional inertia. Either way, you would have to make more of an argument than what has been presented so far to show that for any such system
it is bound to fail, catastrophically. So far the argument is pretty shallow.
Ah, yes. It's that time-travelling band of evil speculators once again! It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that old Bob Mugabe figured out that he could impose a practically unlimited rate of taxation on his populace by simply confiscating the few goods and services actually produced in Zimbabwe - by paying for them in fiat money. Wait... where did those speculators actually get the Zimbabwe dollars to short? The Central Bank of Zimbabwe? You don't say.
But what did you say Tippit on this matter? From post #1197.
It's probably worth pointing out that Zimbabwe has a credit-based fiat monetary system, albeit with no limitations. My contention is that fiat money systems lead to governments which eventually shrug off such "barbaric" limitations anyway.
In point of fact, I am not sure if Zimbabwe still has a money system based on the same principles as it did when it went through hyperinflation. Let's let that one go for the moment and just concentrate instead on the rest of the statement. It would have been better though to say 'had', unless you know they still have the same money policy.
First off, Mugabe is a racist, murderous, corrupt A-hole, of that there is no doubt. He has made many awful decisions for Zimbabwe. The article by Ellen Brown is trying to show what one of his mistakes was and what he could have done instead. You can not short a currency if it is not convertible to something else, as happens with sovereign credit money. Nice try though Tippit!
That said, the problem with your original quote is that it is so pathetically inept when it comes to history it almost makes me want to laugh. There were speculators massively short selling Zimbabwe dollars, or do you contend that did not happen? If so, please provide evidence or arguments for that assertion that is better then references to time travellers.
As it is, your comments are of a purely speculative nature. Something I see quite a bit of from you. Maybe you should try and time-travel to fix the glaringly obvious mismatch between the facts of the case and your own deluded sound-bite version of history.
You've fallen for a load of pseudo-economic bull ****, and you advocate command and control statism, funded by fiat money, branded as "reform". You also managed to apologize for Schacht, Hitler, and Mugabe, and somehow I am the one who is ignorant of history.
Schact wrote a pretty good book from what I understand (have not read it, the original is in German). He stabilised the mark, got fired by Hitler for not using Feder's ideas and was genuinely interested in the welfare of his country. Hitler followed the ideas of Feder when it came to reviving the German economy and it worked well. I have made
zero apologies for anything else either Hitler or Mugabe has done. Nothing, nada, zilch. The comment above in connection to that is of a purely inflamatory nature.
I see no analysis of how any economy I have mentioned operated based on anything remotely like true scholarship. It is like if I said "The Executioner makes a great cake" and your response was "You are apologising for the Executioner! How dare you!" No, I said he makes a great cake. That is all. Your inability or desire to conflate two separate issues is interesting. It tells me you lack rational thought on this matter.
If you do not have anything meaningful to say about a subject, the best policy is to say nothing. Instead, I see you trying to hide behind a smoke-screen of propagandistic statements that call attention to elements that are not germane to the discussion at hand. Par for the course, I am afraid.
Nope. Just as I explained to psion, good money is hoarded because the acceptance of fiat money is forced by definition (by decree). Take away the decree, and sellers will demand real money. Your misunderstanding of this is because you don't account for the seller's preference in a free market of money, only the buyer's.
Take away the decree and it is not money, it is barter (and I have no problem with you or anyone else bartering in whatever items you want (usual caveats apply, no slavery, etc. etc.)). Or how do you intend to solve the problem I issued to you earlier (and you never responded to as far as I can tell) of payment in court. You do believe that contracts should be upheld right? So someone offers in court to settle in gold, "No thanks, have enough of that." How about donkeys? "Naw, have no need of those." But you must except gold, it is so valuable... "Why must I, is there some law that says I must?" No, the market says so!
If we had sovereign credit money (which would, by the way, be sound money), then both sellers and buyers would want to trade in it.
This doesn't make any sense. The Austrians correctly realise that the commodity chosen by the free market to serve as money for over five thousand years of history, is gold. When gold is allowed to serve this function, it's worth more. When it's not, it's worth less. Sometimes, as on the eve of the utter destruction of the global fiat currency system, it begins to assert its historical role as de facto reserve currency in spite of decrees, as it is at this very moment.
Wrong. First off, define free market. According to the people who invented the term, the classical economists, it means a market free of unearned income(reduction of rents). Five thousand years huh, you are not one of those fundies are you who think the Earth was created 6,000 years ago? If so, wow, you really are living in crazy-land.
That people want to convert debt-based money to commodities is not surprising (this is not just happening to gold only by the way). Contrary to that article you linked to recently covering Bill Still, he, I and psionl0 advocate debt-free money (well, I actually have proposed a plan to still have debt-based money that acts in accord with Pennsylvania Banking ideas, but explaining why that would not be a problem is so far beyond your ken I might as well be trying to explain Quantum Mechanics to a three year old). The author did not even get that right.
All money is fiat money. The fiat either comes from society as a whole through custom (the closest to how you want things to be) or is decreed by a government. Either way, by custom or by decree, money is money because of some kind of law.
This fiat of money can be required to be convertible to other things, such as other moneys or commodities, or it can be non-convertible. Money can be composed of various substances. Money can be issued within some kind of limits, or it can be issued with no limits at all. Money can come into existence when a loan is made, or governments can just issue it and perhaps require that that is the only way for the money to be issued. If a government just issues the money, it can be used to pay for goods and services only, or it can be used to fund speculators.
All of the distinctions mentioned above except convertibility are ones you do not touch upon. The only distinction you seem to care about is whether the money is convertible or not (or maybe composed of some substance). The money that people are leaving now is unlimited, debt-based, convertible to other moneys and is being issued in such a way as to increase speculation. The money Bill Still and others advocate for is limited, debt-free, non-convertible and has as a requirement to be spent on goods and services.
The only way that the two types of money are the same is that neither is freely convertible to some commodity. Yet no note of this is made by you. In all other ways they are exact opposites, but because they both are not convertible to your golden calf god, they are, of course, the same. All hail the Golden Molech whose painfully average Priest is Tippit. Kneel before your Babylonian God, Tippit. Kneel low! Scrape on the ground in obeisance to your god...
Give me a break. Melodramatic much?
Perhaps, but it is a good principle. Since you do not care about making sure people are called by their correct name, while I do care if my name is spelled correctly, it seems to me that logic would dictate that I can call you by any name I desire, whereas you would have to stick to just tensordyne, or td, for my name.
I therefore nominate your new name to be Goldtard (shortened to gtard when used as such). That is, unless you find it annoying not to be called by your proper name. If you are annoyed, that would make you a hypocrite. It is your choice, Goldtard or hypocrite. I rather think Goldtard is more becoming myself.
We're not making any progress here, and by citing Zarlenga and his ridiculous take on history, you've effectively disqualified him from making an appearance on my reading list. He's just wrong.
Wow, now you have really shown your hand here. Notice I said before I was reading "Man, Economy, and State". I said I was doing this to be intellectually honest. Zarlenga has probably read more from the Austrian School than you have (not to mentioned the scores of other books and articles he must have had to read to write his book). Why? Because one should look out for views opposite to whatever one has. Read as much as you can, that sort of thing, but especially read from views opposite to one's own.
You are telling me here that you are an ideologue with no interest in seeking alternative views. Well, I guess it makes sense, Cultists are not known for exactly being well rounded.
Can we agree to disagree now?
Why should I agree to disagree? When I see posts that do not make sense to me, I present the best evidence and arguments I can muster and then leave it at that (I throw in some spice of heavy sarcasm too). Agree to disagree is what couples do, or people on the losing side of a debate offer, or... Nope, you make whatever arguments you want, I will make whatever arguments I want. That is free speech, correct?, and I am sure you are all about that. Well, I am too.
Speech away Tippit, oops, I mean Goldtard (my homey theeee Gtaaard! Yeah!). Just be ready if there are others with differing views. No apologies here.