Semantic Shamans of Pointless Proclivities
Yeah, too much nonsense was posted between then and now to bother. Unlike you and psi I have more fun things to do than wasting time on the same issues.
So I guess you are not one to keep your promises. Good to know.
I just provided you an explanation of what your quote means. That you want it “line by line” is irrelevant to me.
I have seen no form of in-depth analysis of my signature quote by you. I will look again. I do not care to necessarily see it line by line, although that is one way to make sure the other party is not cheating and just saying "it is the following way... why, because I say so!"
I would even be satisfied with efforts at analysis that even quoted segments of the signature and gave some form of analysis as to how you interpret it. Alas, such scholarly treatment is below you it seems.
Wrong. I’ve explained this to you before so I don’t see what point there is in doing so again.
Yes, that is right, you have explained that banks lend out from the money they have in excess reserves, while acting as if they still have it. What I have not seen though is any reference to a source, other than yourself, who says this is so. I have not seen argumentation of any kind that a true sceptic would consider as an argument. Only appeals to obviousness and appeals to personal authority, over, and over, and over again.
You're a two-trick pony and both of your tricks both suck.
You’re right, you quite clearly have lots of spare time to post bollocks online.
My ability to respond to your 'arguments' (I use quotes because all of your arguments are of a fallacious kind) has no bearing on the arguments themselves. This is just a pathetic attempt to make some kind of damning statement. If you want to argue with adults Sceptic-PK then I suggest you learn how to take the time to understand critical thinking.
Unable to understand simple examples I see. Why am I not surprised. It says so in MMM. If you had read it honestly you would see that.
Where, specifically, or are you too pressed for other pursuits to answer a question? This is what I have been talking about Sceptic-PK. You make a claim:
"It says so in MMM.",
but then you do not provide any evidence, logic or argumentation. Saying "If you had read it honestly you would see that." is not an argument, it is an accusation. I am starting to think psionl0 is fundamentally correct in how to respond to you. Put up, or shut up.
Sceptic-PK, put up (show some kind of argument based on some kind of reference, analysis, something!!), or shut up. Actually, I should not say shut up. You provide an excellent example of how someone acts who is not thinking. Perhaps it is useful to have examples of what an uncritical, thoughtless person would write. "Look kids, that is how
not to argue."
I’ve already been down that road as I have already explained to you. You almost had me convinced that banks invent money out of thin air to loan, when it is quite obvious to anyone who isn’t an idiot, that banks lend customer deposits (that’s why they pay interest on those accounts, duh).
Ad hominem use of idiot. Affirming the consequent. A twofer of fallacious arguments. Outstanding Sceptic-PK, you really are one of the best pseudo-sceptics on this here little forum!
Nonsense. You could easily do the same just with an Excel spreadsheet. And btw the latter is precisely how banks work, they say they have more money on hand than they really do. Duh.
Whether I could use some software to keep track of numbers has nothing to do with whether banks work the way you say they do, I say they do, or just about anyone says they do. That merely means that however it is that one is saying banking works is at least expressible in mathematical terms.
But, what of your evidence? Hmmm, yes, I do not see any. I feel like I am dealing with a child, "Santa Claus exists because he puts presents under the tree. Duh." Stellar use of logic Sceptic-PK. Keep 'em rolling. I realise now the appropriate response is to look at the comedic value of your assertions.
I know this already. Have always known it. That reserves do not change proves no new money is created. MMM clearly states that reserves go down when the loan money is transferred. So, if reserves do not change when the loan is made, and reserves go down when the loan is transferred, where did that money come from champ? This is the point you’re failing to grasp.
Did you happen to notice that total deposits went up? In answer to you question, champ, they came from the additions made to deposits.
A new loan means Deposits and Loans both go up by an equal amount. Reserves are unaffected by loans.
This is my assertion. My argument for this assertion is that in step 3. this is what is said in MMM, as I so kindly even quoted for you. Here is a thought, forget everything else I might say in this response, all of it. Just honestly test that one statement by reading MMM and trying to see if the above is false or not.
If you say it is false, I want a quote! If you say it is true, I want a quote! I want a quote!
I was going to say that this goes against your model, but then I realised, you do not really have a model Sceptic-PK. I have yet to see you state a single equation or set of sentences that clearly says what the bank has, or does not have.
The point you are failing to grasp is the sentence in bold above. If you want to argue with me about anything, let it be that.
I don’t see why you think you need to quote that to me since I’ve been posting that example repeatedly over the last few months. Duh.
Because you have not taken what is said in MMM at face value but instead put an overlay of your own ideas on things. Here is an example, before the bank transfers the 9,000 out of the 19,000 to the other bank from deposits, does the bank have 19,000 in actual deposits in the bank?
I am pretty sure your answer would be no! But then, that calls for quite an extraordinary leap to make such a conclusion. I have not found any sentence in MMM that says something to the effect of "oh, by the way, when we say this bank or that bank has this added money, it is not really new added money. It is just a fictional device."
Barring such a statement, when MMM says some bank has 19,000 in money in deposits, that means it really has 19,000 in deposits. If you can find me such a statement I will happily concede. As it is though, assuming that some publication is lying about the numbers it is using is most odd.
As above, you clearly don’t understand. At no stage have I denied this process. What matters is that there is $19,000 in deposits, but only 10 in reserve. I mean honestly, how can you be this obtuse? When the loan is withdrawn, the bank has 1, the assets are 9, the liabilities are 10 and the borrower has 9 in his hand. Ie there is still only 10 floating around regardless of what deposits say. Get that through your head, chump.
So below. Regardless of what deposits say. Interesting turn of phrase. So your assertion is that when bank 1 banks the loan and goes like so (R, D, L)
(10000, 10000, 0) -> (10000, 19000, 9000)
it simply does not matter now that deposits are at 19,000. There is really only 10,000 actually in the bank, because that is the reserves it has, huh. So you are defining the real money the bank has as the reserves a bank has. Is there anywhere in MMM that defines this the same way.
I hate to burst your bubble, but there are these things called bank runs. The deposits do matter because people are supposed to be able to withdraw from them at any time and use the withdrawals as money. That means that total deposits is money, new money. It's money on the books, and money on the books is money. It is money, new money... repeat as necessary.
I wonder though, is this what this is all about, a game of semantics? How utterly boring. If you agree with the mathematics as listed before, I really, really, really, do not give two fecal deposits in the middle of a barn what you, or anyone else, considers is the 'real' money. That is just a term. The mathematics is what counts. So if you do not have the intelligence or the know-how to put your ideas in even roughly mathematical terms, then all I can say is:
FAIL.
Yawn. We all already know this. There is nothing going on here you can’t do yourself through book keeping.
I can keep books anyway I want, that does not mean I can buy a $10 bill for 10 cents as banks do. It does not mean that if I kept the books the same way a bank did for making loans I would not go to jail for a very long time for committing fraud and for practising banking without a banking license. It does not mean I could not go to the discount window (using the US system, have no idea what the equivalent mechanisms are in other parts of the world) and get a super-cheap loan.
There are a whole slew of things banks can do that I can not. Oh yes, banks can write numbers on a piece of paper just like I can, weeee!
Yet you still don’t seem to understand that there would still be only $10,000 in reserves, even though you’ve written it repeatedly? Lulz.
As I have said nothing you disagree with mathematically, but you do not like perhaps my choice of word usage,
FAIL.
Of course that’s how it works. You just seem to deny the fact that the $10,000 in original customer deposits is what is getting loaned (or 9 since 1 is in reserve). I have no idea why you’re still denying this when MMM makes it quite clear. Get over your sig and get honest ffs!
You want me to be honest. Here it is.
I realise I have honestly wasted time arguing with your over the semantic use of some words. I honestly think you do not have much capability in explaining what you are thinking. I honestly think, if we both agree on how the mathematics works, that I honestly do not care about what you have been trying to argue for. I honestly think I can state what you have been trying to argue, better than you can.
Here goes: The sum total of reserves remains unchanged in the whole of the banking system, baring any actions by a central bank. If we define lending in the traditional sense of the word, in that when an amount is leant, another amount diminishes, then the actions that usually happen when loans are made mean that reserves constitute the money that is leant in FRB in terms of the word leant as previously defined.
I honestly think, well, I do not think I should say next what I honestly think. By the way, in mathematics speak if two systems are the same up to some point, one often describes the situation as isomorphic, or maybe even equivalent. Here are my equivalent statements to all you have been trying to argue for.
1. Sum of reserves = constant. (barring changes made by central bank)
2. Define lending as a zero-sum operation, then reserves between banks are leant.
Since you do not seem to understand how equivalent mathematical statements work, perhaps I should not hold it against you. Here is how it goes, 1. implies 2. which then implies 1. So boh statements are logically equivalent. If, at any time, I was to say 1., then, if you were a logical person, you should have said, "OK, everything is good". Ergo, you are a person who does not understand logic because even as you noted:
Yet you still don’t seem to understand that there would still be only $10,000 in reserves, even though you’ve written it repeatedly? Lulz.
I wrote it repeatedly huh, oh, and I did not understand that total bank reserves remain constant (barring actions by central banks). That is odd, you are saying I do not know how to do basic mathematics.
I wrote in post #1152
Let (R1, D1, L1) be the triple for bank 1 and (R2, D2, L2) be the same for bank2. Let the transfer amount be t. Let the transfer be from bank 1 to bank 2. Then the two triples will change like so:
bank 1: (R1, D1, L1) -> (R1 - t, D1 - t, L1)
bank 2: (R2, D2, L2) -> (R2 + t, D2 + t, L2)
That is an equivalent statement to 1. and 2. Therefore, I now want to now say an expletive directed at you, but will not.
Trust me, I know mathematics that would cause most people's head to melt, I knew that the reserves worked in the sense of being a zero-sum game. What I did not know up until this point was about how utterly obstinate you are in not trying to understand how the other person is thinking, which is worse than being wrong, failing, or illogical, it is being lazy. Luckily I have done that chore for you so we can be done with your pointless semantic game.
FAIL = LAZY = LAME = Sceptic-PK.
tensordyne =
Have a nice day Sceptic-PK! You semantic wanker!
p.s. Thank goodness I can now debate with psionl0.