• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

How the banks create money

The economic unsustainability of modern banking is directly related to the fact that it is immoral. I'm not sure why they need to be separated.
Has banking ever been moral?



In my view, there are essentially three types of money. Fiat money represents no promise to pay anything, fiduciary money represents a promise to redeem something of intrinsic value, and commodity money is intrinsic value. The Federal Reserve note is not, strictly speaking, based on debt. The Federal Reserve could, if it wanted to, monetize anything it wanted, from houses, to comic books, to baseball cards, to pizza. It is not based on debt as it is not redeemable for debt, the best you can do is redeem it for other FRNs. Obviously this has nothing to do with whether or not you can purchase or satisfy debts with FRNs, you can. The value of the FRN is ultimately based on the supply of and the demand for FRNs, which is remotely related to debt only in the sense of how it may affect the future supply of FRNs.
I have no problem with any of that.

Debt doesn't make FRB unstable,
Correct. Debt and FRB are two separate issues

FRB is inherently unstable as it is designed, both because easy credit leads to malinvestment, and because of the inevitability of bank runs as malinvestment is liquidated.
I agree.

Fiat money lends itself to FRB because it enables the central bank to socialize these risks indefinitely, while enabling the banks to privatize the gains.
They had FRB in the gold standard days too.

This is a false-dilemma. If FRB were abolished, banks would have to lend their own paid-in capital and term deposits exclusively, so their profits would immediately be checked, and all forms of lending would be on an equal playing field. Credit availability would be reduced, and interest rates would be higher. This would serve to curb malinvestment, and insure that only creditworthy borrowers and good investments were funded by lending. The rising value of public debt and its impact is largely a political issue, as public debt issuance is done by politicians, not banks. Interest is not problematic in and of itself.
This seems to be the crux of the matter.

My point is that if banks are taking money out of the economy via interest payments and not spending it all back into the economy then the system is unsustainable no matter what. The amount of debt remains the same but the amount of money left to service it has diminished. The banks could lend the money back into the economy which would restore the money supply but it would also increase the level of debt. So either way, the money to debt ratio would decrease.

Sooner or later, as the debt became too difficult to service, the system would either have to self-correct or collapse. These self-corrections (depressions) have occurred many times throughout history.

OTOH, if we could keep the money to debt ratio steady over the long term, then I think the system could go on indefinitely. That means getting the interest spent back into the economy. I suppose that one way this could be achieved is to make it mandatory to pay out all interest (net of costs) as dividends and not permit the banks to lend any of this out. The alternative is the inflation tax . . . . . . . . . .

The pending economic collapse of the US is the result of plutocratic fiscal policy (runaway debt and government spending) financed mostly by the inflation tax, with demographics and the gutting of the US manufacturing base all playing roles. Not only has inflation stolen from us on the way "up", but deflation or hyperinflation will steal on the way down as well.
Governments! :mad:

You haven't proven how economic collapse is inevitable given sound money and 100% reserve banking.
I might well be wrong about this but my reasoning is out there in this post for you to see. If you can spot the flaws in it I would love to read about it. Since the government is creating over $1T of debt every year, I guess it is going to be difficult to isolate the contribution of unspent or re-lent interest to the coming malaise.

We don't have to. Interest is paid for a number of legitimate reasons. Once again, the problem is interest charged on capital that isn't yours, or more specifically, the large disparity between what lenders charge and what depositors are paid, as well as the tendency towards malinvestment, and socialized bank risk.
Increasing the amount of interest paid on deposits is another way we could make sure that the interest that banks collect was spent back into the economy. It won't protect us from the government though.

There is no reason why you should have to expect otherwise. You could also obtain a reverse mortgage which allows you to do precisely what you wanted to avoid, and still have the utility of actually living in your house. I'm not sure what this has to do with the above though, which I believe is a false dilemma based on a misconception.
My comment here was in relation to the second part of my false dichotomy (abolishing interest). Since no financier is going to make zero interest loans . . . . . . . but we are all agreed that getting rid of interest is never going to happen.
 
stevea and psionl0, what in the heck are you two arguing about really? Sorry, I just can not tell and want to know.

Hi tensordyne,

The title of this thread, is "how the banks create money". It's apparently meant to be inflammatory, misleading and argumentative.

No one contests and no one rational has any objections, that modern banks create LOANS. How this occurs has been beaten to a froth in this thread. In creating LOANS banks create M1 or M2, which is part of the BROAD and non-specific definition of MONEY. Psionl0 repeatedly refuses to use the more specific terms M1, M2 or LOANS to describe this creative action. IOW he wants to continue the confusion by using vague and less specific language.

In post #1085, psionl0 admits that even private loans, a lunch-loan of $20, creates a sort of money in a limited sense. He goes on to make clearly incorrect, overgeneralized statements like, "Money is based on debt.". He also makes the following stupendously confused statement.

I agree. I am neither against borrowing money nor creating money. I just believe that the government should have the sole power to create money and banks shouldn't.

So he isn't against M1&M2 creation, (loans) but he is against banks creating these loans !??! He want's that power to be reserved to government

In post #1091 I reply to his specific statement.

Why do you believe "the government" is properly equipped and motivated to manage the amount of loans created ? I sincerely wish the US government was only concerned about loan quality - not loan quantity.

In post #1108 psionl0 makes clear that he fails to understand the equivalence of loans and M1&M2 creation.

And yes, I believe that the banks should not have the power to create M1 money and if you can't deal with that without changing it into some nonsense about governments managing individual loans or something then that is your problem.

Well - psionl0 just lost the debate. M1 creation *is* loan origination. Loan origination *is* M1 creation. They are the same event described in two different frames of reference.

That psionl0 refuses to correctly use the SPECIFIC terms M1 & M2, that he fails to recognize their equivalence to bank lending, that he insists on obfuscating by using terms "money" where "loan" "obligation" or "M1" is more specific and less obfiscating tells a story.


===

To recapitulate - psionl0 appears to believe that creating M1&M2 money, therefore loans (exclusive M1 & M2, non-M0) should be the sole prerogative of government, but he fails to understand that this is completely equivalent that government should control origination of loans. It's a bit of tautological nonsense spread across an 1100+ posts.

He repeatedly rejects use of more specific and accurate language for M1, M2, to his end of obfuscation. He has repeatedly rejected any acknowledgment of the obvious fact that M1/M2 creation is equivalent to loan creation.

Now I would agree that it is a self-consistent political position that only the government should be allowed to create "money" in the M1, and M2 (loan) sense. But a casual survey shows that nations that do this engage in either a total rejection of M1 & M2 and resulting poverty and 3rd world status OR they restrict this to government sponsored companies - state-corporatist nations that are highly inefficient.

Failure to allow free-market loan arrangements (bank-loans=M1 creation) results in gross systemic inefficiencies. The reasons should be obvious.
 
stevea and psionl0, what in the heck are you two arguing about really? Sorry, I just can not tell and want to know.
Stevea is just doing a Skeptic-PK and digging his heels in over the question of whether M1 is money or not.

At least Skeptic-PK believes (passionately) in what he is posting. I suspect that stevea is just being argumentative.
 
Debt to Money ratio increases.

:boxedin:

Has banking ever been moral?

Yes. The Pennsylvania Banking System was highly moral and allowed for very high employment and low disparity of wealth distribution. The Bank of North Dakota of today has allowed the State of North Dakota to be one of the very few states in the Union to not be in debt. They have a surplus in fact.

This seems to be the crux of the matter.

My point is that if banks are taking money out of the economy via interest payments and not spending it all back into the economy then the system is unsustainable no matter what. The amount of debt remains the same but the amount of money left to service it has diminished. The banks could lend the money back into the economy which would restore the money supply but it would also increase the level of debt. So either way, the money to debt ratio would decrease.

This gets to the heart of perhaps where me and you disagree about the mechanics of the current system. It would not matter one bit if all the banks spent all of their money back into the economy. The reason is simple, every loan creates more debt than money to pay off that debt. Every loan creates a mini black-hole of debt servitude. I do not think you have sufficiently wrapped your head around the consequences of this fact.

There is no money banks could spend back into the greater economy to equalize the situation under the rules of the current system, ever. It is correct to say that the money to debt ratio diminishes over time, but another way of looking at the same statement is, I think, much more illuminating, the debt to money ratio increases over time. This is because both the money and the debt increase over time, but the debt grows faster, much faster.

I get the feeling from many of your posts that you think that the system as it exists currently could be equalized if only some of the actors were to spend back into the system the money they have. This, I think, is simply not the case. The only thing that would equalize out the debt to money ratio in the current system would be to add more money without adding new debt, or write off debts in lieu of payment to debts that can be covered by the money that exists, or both to whatever extent makes sense.

All the best to you all!
:) :D :o :( :p ;) :confused: :mad: :rolleyes: :blush: :eek: :cool: :boggled: :eye-poppi :jaw-dropp :crowded: :covereyes :boxedin:
 
Last edited:
You should read Zarlenga because he directly challenges many of your ositions. Unless that is you do not like having your foregone conclusions challenged, but that is a rather lazy position to hold, and very intellectually dishonest. Your choice.

I've already considered fiat money reforms like the Monetary Reform Act, a long time ago, and rejected them. I'm happy to have my opinion challenged, which is why I asked you sincerely why specifically I should read Zarlenga, and you responded with a litany of name calling and insults. So I'll ask you again, what makes Zarlenga's ideas special?

As to the QE/ZIRP, wow you love trying to hold that over my head. What ungentlemanly behavior. I have had time to review both. I know what they are and have formed some initial thoughts on them. Let me use the same logic you have tried to hold against me concerning QE/ZIRP knowledge. Say the following with a musty air of arrogance and you will get the right feel for it.

"If you don't understand the works of Henry George, Stephen Zarlenga, Steve Keen and some others, then you aren't qualified to be a critic of current economic policies because the essence of the problem will not be understood by you."

You admitted ignorance of fundamental methods of central banking, their most regressive, punitive, and kleptocratic activities. Activities that are utterly impossible without the existence of fiat money, at the same time you slandered goldbugs, who advocate a form of money which directly prevents this. If you don't understand something so basic, then your anti-gold position has little credibility. Please explain how the checks and balances against the abuse of seigniorage would work under yours or Zarlenga's system, and how it would contradict the historical reality that all fiat currencies have ended up in the dustbin of history in fits of war and economic chaos.

Well, again, ◊◊◊◊◊◊* crazy is my own take. Interesting response though about the above ground supply. Maybe so, not really certain. I am certain there are tons of other arguments against a gold standard and I am certain that Austrian types treat their own ideas with a sort of religiousness akin to
various holy sacraments.

The choice to save in gold and silver is a cynical endictment of human nature, a resounding vote of no confidence in politicians and banksters alike. Trust in men to not abuse the vast power of seigniorage, or in political and legal systems to ostensibly prevent this is the epitome of faith-based religiosity.

Deflation versus inflation. Why not have neither? Or more realistically, a minimum of either. I can tell you have read too much of the Libertards because you are quoting them hook, line and sinker. "Sticky" wages. P-shaw.

Because the price of entrusting men to manipulate the general price level is neither desirable, nor cost-beneficial for society at large. Ben Bernanke's central planning has failed everyone but the super-rich, but its not really his failure, it's ours for accepting the system that enabled him under your false premise.

1. I want to abolish forthwith any taxes on labor wages and non-monopoly based capital interests. I want taxes only on monopolies (state created or otherwise) and land rents, which in your speak means profits due to owning some natural resource. I agree that inflation tax is highly regressive and
unconstitutional in practice, as well as being highly immoral. End The Fed! Buy Silver and Crash JP Morgan!

Sounds reasonable. Why do we need to entrust instutional counterfeiters then?

2. I do not want a central bank. In the system I advocate there is simply no need for one. Central banks destroy real markets. I would have governments spend into existence money, which could admittedly be made into a corrupting influence (it already is a corrupting influence, look at all the highway projects which are jobs for the boys), but then, when the gov spends the money and taxes it back into nothing, the problem of systemic corruption would be with the government spending, not the government borrowing. These are very different things.

So you distrust bankers, but you trust politicians implicitly, or at least the system of political accountability. I'm beginning to get the picture. I don't share your trust. I would point out that "spending money and taxing it back into nothing" is nonsensical. When the government emits fiat money, it consumes scarce resources from the market. When the government expropriates money, it consumes scarce resources from the market. When it does either, its a tax, each time, unless you're implying that conventional tax revenues should get destroyed, which would make no sense.

Unreasonable people are the ones who get their way. I am not reasonable when it comes to having reasonable policies. Oh well. Thanks for categorizing me as ignorant. I admit, I am ignorant of probably a great many things. I work on it as best as I can. Between being crazy (in the sense of mind-controlled, a dido-head, cult-like follower of some set of ideas, etc.) and ignorant, I choose ignorant. It is much more easily cured.

I'll take crazy. It's paid well this decade.
 
Last edited:
M1 creation *is* loan origination. Loan origination *is* M1 creation.
A bit of cross posting going on here.

You apparently have the erroneous belief that M1 money only comes into existence when banks make loans. M1 is defined as M0+checkable deposits. M0 and M1 are freely convertible. The existence of M1 money is not dependent on banks making loans. It just means that money has been deposited into a bank account. It makes no difference whether the deposit came from M0 money, another bank account or if the bank created the money out of thin air. It is just a bottom line figure on a bank statement.

Banks can lend M0 money but it would still add to the M1 money supply.
 
stevea and psionl0 in repose.

Hello stevea and psionl0,

thank you both for responding to my entreaty for understanding your positions. I think perhaps I can clear the air some, so that is what I will endeavor to do now. I am not going to argue for or against any kind of policy position (I hope!), but merely want to make clear what concepts are being debated about.

First off, I am not super proficient myself in all the differing types of M's (there is a chart in wikipedia covering the differing M's with checkmarks all over the place and it looks decidedly complex in its own way). It seems to me that psionl0 is advocating for the Greenback position. If a new type of system is used, there may not even be such classifications as are used in the M0, M1, etc.

In the Greenbacker position, banks would not originate money, they would only lend it out. In such a system, perhaps M1 would not even exist. I will not say for certain if this is the case, but I think it is important to point out that in alternative systems to the one we have now, different concepts would be employed.

That said, if we are talking about the current system we have now, then loans do create money and this does add to M1 it certainly would seem. In the Greenbacker position the government (or governments) would create money without attendant debt attached to it. This is a matter of accounting and it simply means that the government would say it has X, spend X and there would be no debt amount being tracked.

In the current system all money comes into existence through FRB loans and these loans have attached to them more debt than money created by the loan.

Those are the facts without judgement calls as faithfully as I can make them.
 
I get the feeling from many of your posts that you think that the system as it exists currently could be equalized if only some of the actors were to spend back into the system the money they have. This, I think, is simply not the case.
Then I will give you same challenge I gave Tippit. Show me where I am going wrong in my reasoning.

I will give a more detailed response to your most recent posts but I think I will wait until the activity on this thread has died down a little.
 
hmm, what is the heart of the matter.

Then I will give you same challenge I gave Tippit. Show me where I am going wrong in my reasoning.

I will give a more detailed response to your most recent posts but I think I will wait until the activity on this thread has died down a little.

Yeah, you know, that is a tough one to show where reasoning is possibly wrong. I mean, I would need some specific statement, because arguing against generalities is hard. Let me try this one out.

Do you think that if all loans were repaid under the current system, and everyone did everything they could without changing the rules of the system, that all debts could be repaid?
 
My point is that if banks are taking money out of the economy via interest payments and not spending it all back into the economy then the system is unsustainable no matter what. The amount of debt remains the same but the amount of money left to service it has diminished. The banks could lend the money back into the economy which would restore the money supply but it would also increase the level of debt. So either way, the money to debt ratio would decrease.

Ok, I think I follow. But if the interest is paid from a deposit at another bank and subsequently becomes reserves at the current bank, the aggregate level of debt, and hence the ratio would not change, because the other bank would have its ability to issue debt correspondingly reduced, right? It seems the aggregate money supply is still governed by M0 and the reserve requirement ratio, if not the aggregate amount of debt.

Sooner or later, as the debt became too difficult to service, the system would either have to self-correct or collapse. These self-corrections (depressions) have occurred many times throughout history.

OTOH, if we could keep the money to debt ratio steady over the long term, then I think the system could go on indefinitely. That means getting the interest spent back into the economy. I suppose that one way this could be achieved is to make it mandatory to pay out all interest (net of costs) as dividends and not permit the banks to lend any of this out. The alternative is the inflation tax . . . . . . . . . .

Based on what I typed above, interest paid from a deposit in bank B to bank A reduces bank B's capacity to lend, and bank A will lend the money back into the economy, a portion of which will undoubtedly be used to pay interest on other outstanding loans to other banks.

I think if we abolished fractional reserve banking, then interest would simply be a component of bank revenue, like any other business revenue. Profits would accrue to shareholders, who would then spend the money back into the economy as a butcher or candlestick maker would. The essence of the problem as I see it are the exorbitant profits involved in lending other people's money at society's risk. The profits get privatized, and the risk and losses get socialized. This is why bank buildings dominate city skylines, and bankers control vast fortunes they don't deserve, certainly not for putting their own capital at risk.

I might well be wrong about this but my reasoning is out there in this post for you to see. If you can spot the flaws in it I would love to read about it. Since the government is creating over $1T of debt every year, I guess it is going to be difficult to isolate the contribution of unspent or re-lent interest to the coming malaise.

Increasing the amount of interest paid on deposits is another way we could make sure that the interest that banks collect was spent back into the economy. It won't protect us from the government though.

I will have to think about it. Once again I think interest paid reduces one bank's ability to lend even as it increases another's. I'm pretty sure interest gets re-lent up to the reserve requirement ratio, and beyond that profits get booked and sent to shareholders or reinvested as the case may be. The black hole that you're referring to may simply be the wealth condensation that is reflected in the disparity between the poor and the super-rich, as bank profits wind up as perpetually higher bids on financial asset prices. After all, bankers have a practical limit on the amount of real goods and services they can consume, but no practical limit on the nominal value of their financial holdings, or the number of zeros behind their net worth.

Banning fractional reserve banking would limit both the exhorbitant and unfair bank profits, as well as the systemic risks associated with malinvestment and an abundance of credit.

Then all we would have to worry about are politicians spending unlimited amounts of money by stealing our purchasing power (fiat money), and incurring unlimited debts in our name.

My comment here was in relation to the second part of my false dichotomy (abolishing interest). Since no financier is going to make zero interest loans . . . . . . . but we are all agreed that getting rid of interest is never going to happen.

It could happen I suppose, as the charging of any interest at all is considered usury in many Islamic countries. I suspect they get around that by using zero coupon bonds or something similar.
 
If FRB were abolished, banks would have to lend their own paid-in capital and term deposits exclusively, so their profits would immediately be checked, and all forms of lending would be on an equal playing field. Credit availability would be reduced, and interest rates would be higher.

Taking term deposits to the limit gives you 1-day deposits; how are these different in substance to non-term deposits?
 
Stevea is just doing a Skeptic-PK and digging his heels in over the question of whether M1 is money or not.

At least Skeptic-PK believes (passionately) in what he is posting. I suspect that stevea is just being argumentative.

Logical fallacy - perhaps Bulverism of circumstantial ad hominem.
You steadfastly refuse to address the issue, and instead impugn motives.
I encourage you to return to debate of the topic and stop the name-calling.

There is no question that M1 is money in the broad sense. You can't possible read my post and come to any alternative conclusion. What is equally clear is that your refusal to use the more specific term wrt banking activity is misleading. If I invite you to a fish-dinner at the mall I might mean salmon at the bistro or live guppies at the pet shop. Conflating two very different things by using a generic term is misleading.

A bit of cross posting going on here.

You apparently have the erroneous belief that M1 money only comes into existence when banks make loans. M1 is defined as M0+checkable deposits. M0 and M1 are freely convertible. The existence of M1 money is not dependent on banks making loans. It just means that money has been deposited into a bank account. It makes no difference whether the deposit came from M0 money, another bank account or if the bank created the money out of thin air. It is just a bottom line figure on a bank statement.

Banks can lend M0 money but it would still add to the M1 money supply.

No, the above is factually wrong about fiscal matters and also mischaracterizes my statements (strawman).

M1 includes CIRCULATING_M0 cash (the part not held by banks). And this is NOT created by regular member banks, only by the Central Bank (the Fed) typically by bond repurchase. It "comes into existence" without action by regular banks.

M1 also includes demand deposit accounts and checking accounts and a few other minor categories like traveler's checks that we won't consider. This part of M1 IS ONLY CREATED BY BANK LOANS. NO M1 IS CREATED BY ESTABLISHING OR DEPOSITING INTO DEMAND OR CHECKING ACCOUNTS.

[ Here is a clear and simple example: You walk into a bank with $1k of cash and create a checking account with a $1k balance. Your circulating cash in hand was part of M0 and also M1. Your checking account balance is part of M1 but not M0. The cash (bills and coins) in the bank vault is part of M0 but not M1. So the amounts of M0 and M1 are completely unchanged by the creation of the account and the $1k deposit.

If instead you were depositing an $1k check from another bank. When the check clears the other bank accounts M1 decreases by $1k, your account's M1 increases by $1k, and the bank reserves changes have no impact on M0 or M1. Again - deposit to a checking account has no impact on the total of M0 or M1.

If the bank later loans the $900 in excess reserves to someone. Then the act of giving them a check or crediting their account (in exchange for an IOU or contract) IS the exact moment where new net M1 is created. At that point there is a new account which is also part of M1 and not M0. ]

When you deposit to a checking account the amount of M1 created in the account and destroyed by transfer to bank reserves is equal. Net zero M1 is created.. The way that banks create net M1 is when they credit an account in exchange for a loan agreement (bank asset). IOW they credit an account based on an IOU instead of an M1 deposit. Adding a deposit to bank reserved destroys an equivalent amount of M1 as is credited to the account. Adding a loan agreement to the vault and crediting the borrower account creates M1 without any M1 destruction.

I dislike the use of "destroyed" as it's just as much a distortion as the "create money" meme. Still the bank reserves are excluded as part of the M1. So M1 is "destroyed" as it enters a bank vault; just as it is "created" when the related checking account is credited.

Synopsis:
M1 is increased when the Fed increases the CIRCULATING_M0 component of M1.
M1 is increased when banks originate loans, creating or increasing M1 account balances.
M1 is unchanged when deposits are made to demand or check accounts.




============
To address each point .....

You apparently have the erroneous belief that M1 money only comes into existence when banks make loans.

No ! I correctly understanding that net M1 is only created by banks when they originate loans, or by the Fed when it puts cash into circulation. (or by private companies when traveler's checks are issued).

Your MMM source says as much in the middle of pp3, but in a very clumsy verbiage switching from methods to history. You should read and try to understand the "Example M1" here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_supply

M1 is defined as M0+checkable deposits.
Wrong ! See the previous Wikipedia link for a correct definition. M1 is CIRCULATING_M0 plus the bank money you can expect to access on short order.

M0 and M1 are freely convertible.
No ! That's only true in an ideal world. But to believe this is to ignore that bank runs and bank failures can occur. No serious investor would ever confuse these two commodities. No one in a country with unstable banking system should ever confuse the two. The fact that you are paid interest in compensation for risk of non-M0_M1 tells the story. They are different and hopefully freely convertible. Don't conflate the two.

The existence of M1 money is not dependent on banks making loans.
Technically true but very misleading. The Fed has a role in M1 "existence" by creating and managing the CIRCULATING_M0 component of M1. Otherwise M1 is primarily "created" by origination of bank loans and several minor mechanisms. The amount of M1 (nearly all non-M0 M1) is highly dependent on bank loan origination.

It just means that money has been deposited into a bank account. It makes no difference whether the deposit came from M0 money, another bank account or if the bank created the money out of thin air. It is just a bottom line figure on a bank statement

No ! There is no net M1 creation when a deposit is made to a checking account or demand deposit account. The deposit is always M1 (circulating cash is M1 as well as M0, your paycheck represents M1 if collectible). The banks reserves are not part of M1. So the M1 that is "created" in your account balance is offset by M1 destruction as the deposit converted to bank reserves. Bank's don't make deposits out of thin air; if they did it would perhaps be M1 creation. Please don't descend to these non-sense statement "thin air" unless you intend to support them.

Banks can lend M0 money but it would still add to the M1 money supply

Irrelevant - The bank loan origination or creation, the act of crediting the borrower account without an offsetting deposit IS the act of net M1 creation. That the loan may later be converted to other forms is irrelevant.

The contention that governments can control M1 creation without controlling loan origination is nonsense. They are the same thing. The idea that government should seems very primitive and backwards thinking; may as well go back to wampum.



Hello stevea and psionl0,

thank you both for responding to my entreaty for understanding your positions. I think perhaps I can clear the air some, so that is what I will endeavor to do now. I am not going to argue for or against any kind of policy position (I hope!), but merely want to make clear what concepts are being debated about.

First off, I am not super proficient myself in all the differing types of M's (there is a chart in wikipedia covering the differing M's with checkmarks all over the place and it looks decidedly complex in its own way). It seems to me that psionl0 is advocating for the Greenback position. If a new type of system is used, there may not even be such classifications as are used in the M0, M1, etc.

I think we are coming toward some sort of understanding of positions at least.
See the Wikipedia age for definitions. It's useful to understand M0 and M1 at a minimum.
Walk through the example. It's clear and detailed. There are some good youtube
vids as well (but also some nutters). Two these two are basic but good. BTW KhanAcademy has loads of great academic undergrad level vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH2-37rTA8U&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7r7l1VG-Tw&feature=relmfu
The second vid discusses M0 and M1.

In the Greenbacker position, banks would not originate money, they would only lend it out. In such a system, perhaps M1 would not even exist. I will not say for certain if this is the case, but I think it is important to point out that in alternative systems to the one we have now, different concepts would be employed.

That said, if we are talking about the current system we have now, then loans do create money and this does add to M1 it certainly would seem. In the Greenbacker position the government (or governments) would create money without attendant debt attached to it. This is a matter of accounting and it simply means that the government would say it has X, spend X and there would be no debt amount being tracked.

In the current system all money comes into existence through FRB loans and these loans have attached to them more debt than money created by the loan.

Thanks tensor - I've never heard of the greenbacker position. However I can't seem to find anything significant on their ideas with a quick google. Is there a link ?

I shouldn't comment till I understand what they are proposing - but in the surface it sound primitive and inefficient. Capital formation public or private is directly responsible for higher productivity and higher standards of living. Unless there is a mechanism to get capital to the most effective projects then it's going to look more like Mogadishu than Munich.
 
Big response, sorry 'bout that!

:boxedin:

I've already considered fiat money reforms like the Monetary Reform Act, a long time ago, and rejected them. I'm happy to have my opinion challenged, which is why I asked you sincerely why specifically I should read Zarlenga, and you responded with a litany of name calling
and insults. So I'll ask you again, what makes Zarlenga's ideas special?

Since you asked with sincerity, and since merely stating that he seriously challenges Austrian and Neoclassical ideas on what and how money is and works is not enough, let me give a survey of why I think Zarlenga's ideas are so interesting.

His main work is "The Lost Science of Money". The title is longer than that, but let's just call it by an acronym for now, TLSM. (btw, I am reading Murray Rothbard's main work "Man, Economy, and State", should be another long haul of a read).

Chap. 1 of TLSM goes over the origins of money. It makes a strong case that money originated due to religious practices related to temple sacrifice.

Chap. 2 goes over Rome's bronze nomisma money system. He goes over how Lycurgus revolutionized the money system of the ancient world using bronze coins (among other things). How Rome used nomisma instead of gold (which was locked away in Eastern Temples) and grew from a small village to a world
power because of it. The chapter goes into the basic history of all the different forms of money used by Rome, including Gold.

Huh, funny how the last money Rome used before it fell into a dictatorship of the Caesars was... Gold.

Chap. 3 Covers a monetary view of Rome's decline. Too many things to cover about this chapter. It is anything but kind to gold as money, I can assure you of that.

Chap. 4 Goes into post Roman systems of money that existed on Continental Europe. Charlemagne is covered in some depth, both the good and the bad. Venice and the recurring East/West silver to gold ratio scheme are covered (on one side silver to gold is valued either higher or lower, then merchants
buy up one of the two where it is cheaper, travel to where it is more expensive and repeat over and over again).

I could go on like this for a while, perhaps though I should go to a section of the book that you will really not like.

Chap. 24 "Proposals for U.S. Monetary Reform", the section titled
'The Austrian School - "A leap backward"' and the section after it,
'Ayn Rand and the libertarian free market theology'.

Well worth the read. Here is a nice quote: "Dr. Von Mises denies not once but several times that his theories can ever be disproved by facts. This point of view represents a leap backward to Platonic Idealism or one of its offspring in various disguises." -- Arthur C. Harwood.

You admitted ignorance of fundamental methods of central banking, their most regressive, punitive,

and kleptocratic activities.

I admited ignorance (whether being 'fundamental' or not is another story) of exactly how QE works in practice. I did not admit ignorance, nor do I condone, many of the other ways in which the current banking system is a rippoff, of which I am well aware of, both now and in the past.

QE/ZIRP is something not done very often, so it amounts to one of their many methods that is regressive, but one that is much less important to understand then their average every day kind of swindles. In fact, to understand QE/ZIRP and the implications of what those actions mean, one must first understand normal FRB. QE/ZIRP is not fundamental to FRB, it is one of those last ditch efforts to prop up a failing FRB system.

You have overstated your case. Buh-bye!

Activities that are utterly impossible without the existence of fiat money,

Opinion, plus, ALL FORMS OF MONEY ARE FIAT!

at the same time you slandered goldbugs, who advocate a form of money which directly prevents this.

Slander, hmmm, well, I would have to be giving out false information with malicious intent. I have neither malicious intent nor is the information I have been putting out, to the best of my knowledge, inaccurate. It would be more of a slander for me to say that I think the Goldbug position is awesome,
because then at least I would be lying. All the same, since I did not slander, I hope you won't mind if I state the following.

I think the intentions of many a goldbug are for the betterment of society. I think your intentions are of this nature too. I have no doubts about this. I think you have read some authors who did not look at history and thought they could reason through everything, as if by magic using only deductive logic without needing inductive reasoning. I think the Austrian School is from the same intellectual heritage as the Neoclassical school, which they so revile.

I think this all would be funny if the people in the District of Criminals did not use many of your positions as a foil so that when they want no government oversite (e.g. of financial dealings), they use Libertarian 'ideas', but when they want to feed at the trough of government largesse, they use socialist 'ideas'. The school you belong to amounts to nothing more than a way to create talking points to be desiminated on talk radio and MSNBC. How sad.

You might want to check the definition of the words you use before you use them. Even more so if they are of an accusatory nature. The best fit would be that I tried to discredit goldbugs. I will continue to do so and without apologies, just as you try to discredit my positions. It is called debating.

If you don't understand something so basic, then your anti-gold position has little credibility.

Wow, what circular logic you have. If I don't agree that the only way to do things is the goldbug way, then I do not have any credibility in having an anti-goldbug position. You should try out for the star chamber, or be one of the Judges in a Kafkaesque courtroom. Your skills would be put to good use there.

Please explain how the checks and balances against the abuse of seigniorage would work under yours or Zarlenga's system, and how it would contradict the historical reality that all fiat currencies have ended up in the dustbin of history in fits of war and economic chaos.

Sure thing!

Let me explain my system, if you are really curious about Zarlenga's monetary reform ideas, you should be able to look him up on your own. I think you said you have and rejected them, so, in point of fact, that would probably be a waste of time.

My own system has some checks and ballances (just like the US Constitution does, "A republic if you can keep it." or some such quote). Banks would originate money through loans. The amount owed would be more than the amount of money created (use the Fractional Reserve too, but set top interest rates and reserve ratios in stone somewhere, never to be altered, ever!).

To ballance the debt equation, I would have the government keep track of the amount of interest paid to banks and have it as a requirement that the government spend the same amount of money into existence (no debt attached, and only taxes ever allowed on monopolies and land rents). To ballance the creation of this money I would have governments tax this amount out of existence so that pools of money are not created. In order that banks do not collude to deny loans or originate too many irresponsibly I have two checks.

In order that banks do not collude to deny loans en masse (as happened during the great deppresion), I would have government banks that work on the Pennsylvania system of banking. These government banks would always play by the same rules no matter what the economy is doing.

In order for banks to not engage in control fraud (which as I understand it is the practice of making irresponsible loans quickly in order to make a quick buck while hiding loses using accounting tricks), I would have all loans mandatorily covered by some set aside quantity of money. Every loan would have to have minimum default conditions.

If a loan is in default, the loan principal that is left unpaid comes out of the set aside money (maybe call it reserves if you want) by the government automatically. It would then be up to the banks to try and seek redress for unpaid loans in the courts with the government otherwise washing its hands of the whole thing. Since bankers could loose bank money if a loan is not repaid, then hopefully only responsible loans would be originated.

Other loan practices would get modernized. Banks could not charge for overdrafts for instance. They know damn well how much money is in an account. If the account does not have the money, the check should simply not be completed. Other charges would be made illegal, whichever ones are the most onerous and regressive (such as psionl0's fav of the early payment charge), would also be made illegal. Banks would be required to charge flat rates, period. If a borrower is late, the amount that is late though can be charged in the conventional manner of paying off interest first.

That is about it. I am sure I have not thought of everything, but you do what you can. Zero-sum money.

The choice to save in gold and silver is a cynical endictment of human nature, a resounding vote of no confidence in politicians and banksters alike. Trust in men to not abuse the vast power of seigniorage, or in political and legal systems to ostensibly prevent this is the epitome of faith-based religiosity.

Cynical is right; cynical of the rule of law; cynical of the idea of functioning society; most importantly though, cynical of the idea of the rightful excercise of economic justice. There is no magical cure to creating equitable economic systems, it is a hard slog all the way up a steep hill.

Every time an advance is made toward money that works for the people, there are forces that work very hard to return them to slavery to gold or debt inducing currency. Sometimes the leaders of a nation come upon the ideas of the greek money theoreticians and their later commentators. They enact these systems and they work wonders. Lincoln using the Greenbacks, winning the war; Hitler creating his form of money and rebuilding Germany when everyone else was going through a depression; The Colonists using their scrip and having a high employment rate. I would guess these examples are either foreign to you or have been cynically perverted to show they did not work, when in actuallity they did.

Hitler got defeated in war (thank goodness), Lincoln got assasinated by a cabal of racist Knights of the Golden Circle (an antecedant form of the KKK) and most likely involving England in some way, and the Colonists winning the war forgot how good scrip was because during the war it was counterfeited
by the British in high numbers. There are other examples. The British themselves had an excellent form of money in their tally sticks (lasted quite a while and your grandma would have loved it!).

I could go on to talk about the example of Rome's money, but I am sure you already must be frothing at the mouth.

Because the price of entrusting men to manipulate the general price level is neither desirable, nor cost-beneficial for society at large. Ben Bernanke's central planning has failed everyone but the super-rich, but its not really his failure, it's ours for accepting the system that enabled him under your false premise.

Ah, in one sense we are in agreement on this. That is why I go more for the Pennsylvania banking model then the Greenbacker model. I have no problem with some central authority that clears checks (I am not sure if you would disagree with that either), but I think the price of things should be set by
a well regulated market. The 'well' in there means not too much and not too little. Balance, Ma'at, harmony, etc. is the goal.

No regulation and you get criminals running the show. Too much regulation and you have average people being gangsterized by government bureaucrats out to make a buck. The current system has eggregious examples of both. Mostly, no, or too little regulation in financial markets (you know the SEC deletes its files of possible wrongdoing!) while gangster government happens on farms and small businesses.

The problem with Gold is it will lead to a moribund economy. It has happened before, and it will happen again. Those who hold the gold will get to make the laws. They will concentrate gold in fewer and fewer hands until the economy comes to a crawl. The way out of this morasse is not gold and it is not central banking.

Sounds reasonable. Why do we need to entrust instutional counterfeiters then?

It is hillarious you bring up counterfeiting and the institution of banking. I myself made a similar sort of analogy and had a million people respond negatively. I tried to explain how a counterfeiter who made money and lent it out, with some additional caveats, would be no different than a banker in the current system in a purely mechanical sense.

I guess I should say that the institutions as they exist now are not counterfeiters in the direct sense of the word, as to be a counterfeiter they would have to be creating an illegitimate copy of something, say a particular kind of money. By definition alone one could consider that impossible.
When the Bank of England says this piece of paper is a Bank of England note * tada * it is a Bank of England note.

Back to your question though. I put my trust in the lessons of history. History shows that the best monetary systems that have existed in the past were of the Greenbacker kind or the Pennsylvania Banking System kind.

So you distrust bankers, but you trust politicians implicitly, or at least the system of political accountability. I'm beginning to get the picture. I don't share your trust. I would point out that "spending money and taxing it back into nothing" is nonsensical. When the government emits fiat money, it consumes scarce resources from the market. When the government expropriates money, it consumes scarce resources from the market. When it does both, its a tax, each time, unless you're implying that conventional tax revenues should get destroyed, which would make no sense.

I trust the lessons of history if properly understood. Balance is that ever elusive goal. A money system might be working very well for a certain class of people, and then for political, but not economic reasons, it might just go away, to be replaced by something else. Colonial Scrip worked very well for the average person in the colonies. It did not work so well for the oligarchy in England.

Spending money and taxing it back to nothing is nonsensical huh? Let me tell you why I think it is a perfectly sensible option. The reason is simple, the only legitimate function of money is to allow for the efficient exchange of goods and services (perhaps also as savings for later years too). If you have money that comes into existence for a while (costing as little as is possible, oops, that gets rid of gold!), serves that purpose, and then goes out of existence. Where is the problem?

Scarce resources from the market... wow, that is a doozy. There are resources put forward to creating money, I do not think I could argue against that. Right now the FIRE sector does take up too much of the economy, but that does not mean it would have to do so in every system. The term scarce in there is only for effect. Freaking economists love to say scarcity because then they go out and make things scarce that really are not to increase profits. Nice little scam they have going (diamonds are a good example of this btw).

Money is like the oil in your car. It would be nice if your car could run without oil, but it can not. The gears would all grind to a halt. What do you need to make trade? You need people to do work (labor), often you need machines to do some kind of job (capital), some raw resource to do work on (land), and very importantly, a method of agreement about how to trade (money).

I advocate taxing monopolies and land rents, both of which amount to taxing the cream off the top of the economy, the profits that are made only through owning something and not made by working or using something. Then I even want to redistribute it back into the populace at large, but I am accused of
gross mismanagement for squandering precious scarce resources. ROFL.

Making heterogenous people agree about things is what government is good for, lest we devolve into some brutish state of subsistence living. If the cost of this is a little overhead, I am well prepared to take it. If that cost becomes onerous though, then I am going to seek to change it so that it is not. That is all I am really about when it comes to this money question.

I'll take crazy. It's paid well this decade.

Yes, unfortunately this is true. All the crazy banksters like Greenspan who worshiped at the feet of Ayn Rand would agree with you.

All the best to you all!
:) :D :o :( :p ;) :confused: :mad: :rolleyes: :blush: :eek: :cool: :boggled: :eye-poppi :jaw-dropp :crowded: :covereyes :boxedin:
 
There is no question that M1 is money in the broad sense.
Of course! Money is a medium of exchange. Bank accounts are a medium of exchange. Banks can only create M1 money. When most people (outside of the banks) think of money they are either thinking of the cash in their wallets or their bank account balance (ie M1). There is absolutely no room for confusion about which "type" of money I am referring to in these threads.

If there is a need to specify whether I am talking about cash or bank accounts specifically or I am referring to a more unusual medium of exchange then I will do so. However, since (it can be shown that) the end result is identical in almost all cases, doing so just complicates matters unnecessarily. Money is money. Simple.

BTW you won't prove anything with a Wikipedia article that has an each way bet on the definition of M0.
 
Yeah, you know, that is a tough one to show where reasoning is possibly wrong. I mean, I would need some specific statement, because arguing against generalities is hard.
Getting an idea across can be difficult at times. You often use equations to describe what is happening in the banking system so maybe if I do likewise, you will understand me better.

At its most basic level, a bank's assets consist of its reserves (R) and the debts of its borrowers (D). On the liability side, a bank owes money to its depositors (M) and also to its shareholders (S). The "M" is of course, part of the total money supply. Note that the banks do not actually have to pay out their liability to their shareholders. A bank's board of directors will use the "S" in a way that is in the best interests of the bank (eg give themselves a big fat bonus).

So the balancing equation is: R + D = M + S

Any interest payment the bank gets will more than likely come from its depositors' bank accounts which directly reduces the total money supply. However, it doesn't change the bank's assets (reserves and debts of borrowers remain the same) so the only way to balance the equation is to add the interest payment to what the bank owes its shareholders. In other words, an interest payment (i) transfers some of a bank's liability from its depositors to its shareholders.

So the balancing equation becomes: R + D = (M - i) + (S + i)

This balancing equation is that of all the banks taken together but Tippit raised the question of what happens if an interest payment came from another bank? In that case the interest payment would be added to the bank's reserves but not its depositors' bank accounts. It (again) gets added to the bank's liability to its shareholders.

The balancing equation: (R + i) + D = M + (S + i)

Although the amount of money owed by bank A to its depositors is unchanged, the amount of money owed by bank B has decreased by the amount of the interest payment so the total money supply is still decreased.

Since bank A's reserves have increased it can engage in a round of deposit expansion and you know how that works.

The end result for bank A is: (R + i) + (D + k*i) = (M + k*i) + (S + i)

Bank A's deposit expansion is counteracted by Bank B's deposit contraction because bank B's reserves are reduced by the amount of the interest payment.

If a borrower uses cash to make an interest payment then you get the same balancing equations as you get from an inter-bank transfer.

Notice that in every case, interest payments are taken from the total money supply and the bank is free to do what it will with it.

If the bank spends the interest money back into the economy, it is effectively transferring its liability from its shareholders back to its depositors.

So the balancing equation becomes: R + D = ((M - i) + i) + ((S + i) - i)

or more simply: R + D = M + S

THIS IS THE ZERO SUM GAIN WE NEED TO KEEP THE FINANCIAL SYSTEM STABLE.

Of course, the bank will do no such thing. The most likely scenario is that the bank will create new debt-based money to replace that which was taken out by the interest payment.

This gives the following balancing equation: R + (D + i) = M + (S + i)

which restores the money supply but increases the debt to money ratio.

If the government were to create money to replace that lost by interest payments then it wouldn't work because it doesn't stop the banks from doing the same thing. Any money the government creates will invariably be deposited into bank accounts which increase the banks' reserves. This is the same scenario as for bank A above except that now it applies for all banks taken together. If the banks are also creating money to replace interest, then after the deposit expansion, this is what the final balancing equation looks like:

(R + i) + ((D + i) + k*i) = ((M + i) + k*i) + (S + i)

and when the government removes the "i" the "k*i" also gets removed.

Let me try this one out.

Do you think that if all loans were repaid under the current system, and everyone did everything they could without changing the rules of the system, that all debts could be repaid?
As you can see from the above equations, in the early stages of the boom/bust cycle, there is plenty of money to service the debts. However, once the aggregate interest collected by the banks exceeds the value of their reserves, there is no longer enough money in the bank accounts to repay the debts. There is still some M0 money laying around but soon the debts will grow bigger than that too.

If this explanation makes any sense to you, I will discuss the "greenbacker" solution in another post.

Cheers. :)
 
Getting an idea across can be difficult at times. You often use equations to describe what is happening in the banking system so maybe if I do likewise, you will understand me better.

At its most basic level, a bank's assets consist of its reserves (R) and the debts of its borrowers (D). On the liability side, a bank owes money to its depositors (M) and also to its shareholders (S). The "M" is of course, part of the total money supply. Note that the banks do not actually have to pay out their liability to their shareholders. A bank's board of directors will use the "S" in a way that is in the best interests of the bank (eg give themselves a big fat bonus).

So the balancing equation is: R + D = M + S

Any interest payment the bank gets will more than likely come from its depositors' bank accounts which directly reduces the total money supply. However, it doesn't change the bank's assets (reserves and debts of borrowers remain the same) so the only way to balance the equation is to add the interest payment to what the bank owes its shareholders. In other words, an interest payment (i) transfers some of a bank's liability from its depositors to its shareholders.

So the balancing equation becomes: R + D = (M - i) + (S + i)

This balancing equation is that of all the banks taken together but Tippit raised the question of what happens if an interest payment came from another bank? In that case the interest payment would be added to the bank's reserves but not its depositors' bank accounts. It (again) gets added to the bank's liability to its shareholders.

The balancing equation: (R + i) + D = M + (S + i)

Although the amount of money owed by bank A to its depositors is unchanged, the amount of money owed by bank B has decreased by the amount of the interest payment so the total money supply is still decreased.

Since bank A's reserves have increased it can engage in a round of deposit expansion and you know how that works.

The end result for bank A is: (R + i) + (D + k*i) = (M + k*i) + (S + i)

Bank A's deposit expansion is counteracted by Bank B's deposit contraction because bank B's reserves are reduced by the amount of the interest payment.

If a borrower uses cash to make an interest payment then you get the same balancing equations as you get from an inter-bank transfer.

Notice that in every case, interest payments are taken from the total money supply and the bank is free to do what it will with it.

If the bank spends the interest money back into the economy, it is effectively transferring its liability from its shareholders back to its depositors.

So the balancing equation becomes: R + D = ((M - i) + i) + ((S + i) - i)

or more simply: R + D = M + S

THIS IS THE ZERO SUM GAIN WE NEED TO KEEP THE FINANCIAL SYSTEM STABLE.

Of course, the bank will do no such thing. The most likely scenario is that the bank will create new debt-based money to replace that which was taken out by the interest payment.

This gives the following balancing equation: R + (D + i) = M + (S + i)

which restores the money supply but increases the debt to money ratio.

If the government were to create money to replace that lost by interest payments then it wouldn't work because it doesn't stop the banks from doing the same thing. Any money the government creates will invariably be deposited into bank accounts which increase the banks' reserves. This is the same scenario as for bank A above except that now it applies for all banks taken together. If the banks are also creating money to replace interest, then after the deposit expansion, this is what the final balancing equation looks like:

(R + i) + ((D + i) + k*i) = ((M + i) + k*i) + (S + i)

and when the government removes the "i" the "k*i" also gets removed.


As you can see from the above equations, in the early stages of the boom/bust cycle, there is plenty of money to service the debts. However, once the aggregate interest collected by the banks exceeds the value of their reserves, there is no longer enough money in the bank accounts to repay the debts. There is still some M0 money laying around but soon the debts will grow bigger than that too.

If this explanation makes any sense to you, I will discuss the "greenbacker" solution in another post.

Cheers. :)

It's so very nice to see someone here using equations to explain things. And it's certainly true that balance sheets have to balance!

The problem with the explanation is that it intermingles a flow (interest payments) with a stock (money). Think of it this way, in order to make an interest payment the borrower does need money...but only for a microsecond. So long as the borrower has done something productive with the money he borrowed it'll be easy for him to borrow the extra needed for the interest payment for that microsecond.

Here's another way to put it. Suppose it were true that interest payments could grow to wipe out all bank reserves. How long would the process take? Figure interest rates are something like five percent per year and that reserves are something like ten percent of deposits. Reserves would be wiped out every two years. (Adjust the numbers if you like and get the wipe out period to be 5 years or 1 year or whatever.) We know that historically reserves have not been wiped out every few years. So there just has to be something wrong with the story.
 
IWe know that historically reserves have not been wiped out every few years. So there just has to be something wrong with the story.
You missed the point somewhat. FRB (and interest payments) neither create nor destroy "base" money (of which bank reserves are a part of). Even if a bank collapsed in a heap, the base money it had will still exist.

If you look at the equations again, you will see that the banks' reserves are always the same fraction of the money that the bank owes its depositors. It is the debt that is increasing relative to the (M1) money supply and that can't go on indefinitely.
 
You missed the point somewhat. FRB (and interest payments) neither create nor destroy "base" money (of which bank reserves are a part of). Even if a bank collapsed in a heap, the base money it had will still exist.

If you look at the equations again, you will see that the banks' reserves are always the same fraction of the money that the bank owes its depositors. It is the debt that is increasing relative to the (M1) money supply and that can't go on indefinitely.

You've made this potentially quantitative by setting up some equations. (As I said before, I like that.) So you say it "can't go on indefinitely." If interest rates are five percent per year (or four or six or whatever), how long can it go on for?
 
Chap. 1 of TLSM goes over the origins of money. It makes a strong case that money originated due to religious practices related to temple sacrifice.

Money originated out of barter, with the goods having the most desirable characteristics for money (scarcity, durability, divisibility) gradually supplanting the others as a medium of exchange, and store of value.

Huh, funny how the last money Rome used before it fell into a dictatorship of the Caesars was... Gold.

Chap. 3 Covers a monetary view of Rome's decline. Too many things to cover about this chapter. It is anything but kind to gold as money, I can assure you of that.

Chap. 4 Goes into post Roman systems of money that existed on Continental Europe. Charlemagne is covered in some depth, both the good and the bad. Venice and the recurring East/West silver to gold ratio scheme are covered (on one side silver to gold is valued either higher or lower, then merchants
buy up one of the two where it is cheaper, travel to where it is more expensive and repeat over and over again).

The decline of Rome corresponded with the debasement of its currency - coin clipping. Contrast this with the Byzantine Empire which lasted for ~1100 years, thanks to Diocletian and the gold solidus, a pillar of monetary stability and fairness.

I admited ignorance (whether being 'fundamental' or not is another story) of exactly how QE works in practice. I did not admit ignorance, nor do I condone, many of the other ways in which the current banking system is a rippoff, of which I am well aware of, both now and in the past.

QE/ZIRP is something not done very often, so it amounts to one of their many methods that is regressive, but one that is much less important to understand then their average every day kind of swindles. In fact, to understand QE/ZIRP and the implications of what those actions mean, one must first understand normal FRB. QE/ZIRP is not fundamental to FRB, it is one of those last ditch efforts to prop up a failing FRB system.

It's the same thing that central banks have always done, only on a larger scale. Whether the central bank monetizes assets, issues loans to member banks, or lowers reserve requirements, it is effectively creating (counterfeiting) money on behalf of insiders.

Opinion, plus, ALL FORMS OF MONEY ARE FIAT!

That's ridiculous. Fiat means "by decree", which usually implies the use of sufficient force in order for it to be accepted. Do you support forcing people to use the paper or electronic money that you think is best? I advocate monetary freedom, and save gold and silver.

I think this all would be funny if the people in the District of Criminals did not use many of your positions as a foil so that when they want no government oversite (e.g. of financial dealings), they use Libertarian 'ideas', but when they want to feed at the trough of government largesse, they use socialist 'ideas'. The school you belong to amounts to nothing more than a way to create talking points to be desiminated on talk radio and MSNBC. How sad.

I don't subscribe to any "school", but I borrow from many. I'm an independent thinker. I think your assessment of our political system is pretty accurate. We have the worst possible aspects of two failed ideologies, and nobody seems to notice in between all of the finger pointing and polarized rhetoric.

Wow, what circular logic you have. If I don't agree that the only way to do things is the goldbug way, then I do not have any credibility in having an anti-goldbug position. You should try out for the star chamber, or be one of the Judges in a Kafkaesque courtroom. Your skills would be put to good use there.

Reforming money won't solve all of the world's problems, though it will go a long way. Like I said, I've thought long and hard about various proposed solutions, and all fiat money solutions require me to entrust politicians, bankers, or both with a monetary printing press. You admittedly don't understand how the central bank robs people, or especially the scope, yet you criticize real money because one author made a lot of sense to you. The Monetary Reform Act, another fiat solution endorsed by Friedman, made a lot of sense to me too, for awhile, but then I recognized it for what it is, flawed, just like the humans to whom we would be entrusting our purchasing power.

My own system has some checks and ballances (just like the US Constitution does, "A republic if you can keep it." or some such quote). Banks would originate money through loans. The amount owed would be more than the amount of money created (use the Fractional Reserve too, but set top interest rates and reserve ratios in stone somewhere, never to be altered, ever!).

So you want to arbitrarily cap interest rates and reserve ratios? What are the optimal numbers, in your estimation?

To ballance the debt equation, I would have the government keep track of the amount of interest paid to banks and have it as a requirement that the government spend the same amount of money into existence (no debt attached, and only taxes ever allowed on monopolies and land rents). To ballance the creation of this money I would have governments tax this amount out of existence so that pools of money are not created. In order that banks do not collude to deny loans or originate too many irresponsibly I have two checks.

This is highly convoluted, and requires massive government intervention to say the least, all to balance a "debt equation" that doesn't need balancing. Interest isn't a black hole, and exorbitant bank profits are ultimately either spent back into the economy or wind up in asset prices. The problem is bank profits are too high, because they have an unfair advantage over other lenders. They can lend other people's money, and let them spend it at the same time in a demand account, effectively a license to print money. All we need to do is abolish fractional reserve banking, and let people choose their own money.

In order that banks do not collude to deny loans en masse (as happened during the great deppresion), I would have government banks that work on the Pennsylvania system of banking. These government banks would always play by the same rules no matter what the economy is doing.

In order for banks to not engage in control fraud (which as I understand it is the practice of making irresponsible loans quickly in order to make a quick buck while hiding loses using accounting tricks), I would have all loans mandatorily covered by some set aside quantity of money. Every loan would have to have minimum default conditions.

Even more convoluted government intervention. Doesn't the reserve requirement already set aside reserves?

If a loan is in default, the loan principal that is left unpaid comes out of the set aside money (maybe call it reserves if you want) by the government automatically. It would then be up to the banks to try and seek redress for unpaid loans in the courts with the government otherwise washing its hands of the whole thing. Since bankers could loose bank money if a loan is not repaid, then hopefully only responsible loans would be originated.

We could also just abolish the fractional reserve system, thereby forcing banks to loan their own paid-in capital or term deposits, and let regulators enforce existing anti-fraud laws.

Then, when they fail, we wave goodbye to them and their unfortunate depositors, instead of socializing the risk and losses.

Other loan practices would get modernized. Banks could not charge for overdrafts for instance. They know damn well how much money is in an account. If the account does not have the money, the check should simply not be completed.

It can be argued that customers should keep track of their balance before they write checks. Certainly the banks are legally stealing from people using this method, I agree. If we declaw and liberalize the bank industry, real competition should make this a moot point. It's the consolidation of the banking industry and the resultant lack of competition that is causing all of these immoral and regressive bank policies to stick.

Other charges would be made illegal, whichever ones are the most onerous and regressive (such as psionl0's fav of the early payment charge), would also be made illegal. Banks would be required to charge flat rates, period. If a borrower is late, the amount that is late though can be charged in the conventional manner of paying off interest first.

That is about it. I am sure I have not thought of everything, but you do what you can. Zero-sum money.

I prefer my solution, yours is too convoluted, and makes too many assumptions about how government and banks should and will act. Abolish fractional reserve banking, and have government return to constitutional money and honest weights and measures.

Cynical is right; cynical of the rule of law; cynical of the idea of functioning society; most importantly though, cynical of the idea of the rightful excercise of economic justice. There is no magical cure to creating equitable economic systems, it is a hard slog all the way up a steep hill.

I'm not cynical of any of those things. I'm cynical that an unjust government will justly enforce the law.

Every time an advance is made toward money that works for the people, there are forces that work very hard to return them to slavery to gold or debt inducing currency.

Really? I think the banksters are quite happy with the current scam - practically unlimited fiat money for insiders. They have surpassed the alchemist's dream, of converting lead into gold. They've convinced legions of people like you that paper, even cheaper than lead, is better than gold!Granted, as they now make money ample for their own benefit, they have and would attempt to make gold and silver scarce, for their own benefit, but there are ways around this which don't require scapegoating real money.

Sometimes the leaders of a nation come upon the ideas of the greek money theoreticians and their later commentators. They enact these systems and they work wonders. Lincoln using the Greenbacks, winning the war;

Lincoln conscripted troops and caused riots, before embarking the nation upon a bloody, senseless civil war. No fake money, and war must be paid with real money, which is extremely unpopular, as it should be. Fiat money is the currency of warmongers.

Hitler creating his form of money and rebuilding Germany when everyone else was going through a depression;

He oversaw the rebuilding of a Germany that was first destroyed by the Weimar hyperinflation, a direct consequence of the fraud and looting that fiat money enables. He then later went on to start World War II. And you're using this as an example of success?

The Colonists using their scrip and having a high employment rate. I would guess these examples are either foreign to you or have been cynically perverted to show they did not work, when in actuallity they did.

The use of colonial scrip was predicated by the tyranny of King George, taxing all of the colonists gold and silver to where they had none. The colonists would have been better served by simply denying King George their gold and silver, although it is debatable whether they could have funded the revolutionary war otherwise. In any event, we know the Continental was debased to a tiny fraction of its original value and destroying the wealth of many Americans, leading to the phrase "not worth a Continental".

No regulation and you get criminals running the show. Too much regulation and you have average people being gangsterized by government bureaucrats out to make a buck. The current system has eggregious examples of both. Mostly, no, or too little regulation in financial markets (you know the SEC deletes its files of possible wrongdoing!) while gangster government happens on farms and small businesses.

I would put it as having little to do with a lack of regulation, and everything to do with a lack of justice.

The problem with Gold is it will lead to a moribund economy. It has happened before, and it will happen again. Those who hold the gold will get to make the laws. They will concentrate gold in fewer and fewer hands until the economy comes to a crawl. The way out of this morasse is not gold and it is not central banking.

And those who hold the printing press now get to make the laws. They will emit more and more currency to their cronies until the economy collapses. The way out of this morass is sound money, and abolishing the fractional reserve system, after we hang the banksters and politicians who put us in this mess.

It is hillarious you bring up counterfeiting and the institution of banking. I myself made a similar sort of analogy and had a million people respond negatively. I tried to explain how a counterfeiter who made money and lent it out, with some additional caveats, would be no different than a banker in the current system in a purely mechanical sense.

I guess I should say that the institutions as they exist now are not counterfeiters in the direct sense of the word, as to be a counterfeiter they would have to be creating an illegitimate copy of something, say a particular kind of money. By definition alone one could consider that impossible.
When the Bank of England says this piece of paper is a Bank of England note * tada * it is a Bank of England note.

The question of "legitimacy" is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the fact that your dollar buys a tiny fraction of what it originally did.

Spending money and taxing it back to nothing is nonsensical huh? Let me tell you why I think it is a perfectly sensible option. The reason is simple, the only legitimate function of money is to allow for the efficient exchange of goods and services (perhaps also as savings for later years too). If you have money that comes into existence for a while (costing as little as is possible, oops, that gets rid of gold!), serves that purpose, and then goes out of existence. Where is the problem?

The problem is you still have a fractional reserve system with all its attendant bank profits, and socialized risks, which you attempt to make up for with byzantine regulations plus the faith that the banks and the money supply will actually be regulated. You know, the Federal Reserve as it was conceived was dramatically different than it is now. It has slowly devolved into the monster it is, and all of the legal "checks and balances" are gone, which is exactly the same fate that would await your attempt at reform if it were enacted.

Scarce resources from the market... wow, that is a doozy. There are resources put forward to creating money, I do not think I could argue against that. Right now the FIRE sector does take up too much of the economy, but that does not mean it would have to do so in every system. The term scarce in there is only for effect. Freaking economists love to say scarcity because then they go out and make things scarce that really are not to increase profits. Nice little scam they have going (diamonds are a good example of this btw).

So here you reveal that you really have no concept of the regressive inflation tax, or, you simply don't care.

I advocate taxing monopolies and land rents, both of which amount to taxing the cream off the top of the economy, the profits that are made only through owning something and not made by working or using something. Then I even want to redistribute it back into the populace at large, but I am accused of
gross mismanagement for squandering precious scarce resources. ROFL.

Monopolies and cartels should be abolished, their operators thrown in jail, and their assets seized and used to fund legitimate, constitutional government.

Yes, unfortunately this is true. All the crazy banksters like Greenspan who worshiped at the feet of Ayn Rand would agree with you.

While I may be "crazy", I'm not a banker. I have to live with the results of my own decisions, whether I'm right or wrong. I can't walk between the raindrops, and have someone else assume my losses. So equating me with central bankers is not only totally inaccurate, it's unfair.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom