Sorry, but I'm just using logic here. I say doing X is a bad thing and there should be a law against it. I work tirelessly to get the state to end X. Then it comes out that I am actually doing X every single day. In such a situation, I honestly don't believe it is a stretch for others to conclude that my commitment to ending X is not as strong as I have let on. Buffett does not seem so committed to ending the tax inequity that he is willing to pay what he says is his fair share.
Hypothetical:
I believe that society would be better off if some of its resources were put to collective use rather than individual use. I also believe that the government is good at determining what are important social problems and how to allocate funds to solve those problems. However, I further believe that I am better than government in this regard, when it comes to funds whose value is in the range of my own personal wealth. Nevertheless, I also believe that, for a variety of reasons, this is not true of people in general. Because of this, I think we as a society would be better off if taxes were increased, in spite of the decrease in efficiency that came about from my personal contribution. Because I feel that laws should be applied equally, I feel that this small loss of efficiency (my paying taxes to the government rather than giving it to charities that I feel spend it more wisely, for instance) is unavoidable.
Please show me the inconsistencies in the above.