• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Geier: Lupron for autism

I understand that most of these "anti vaccine, find a cure for autism" people think they are just being concerned, and that they can not do much harm.

But why don't they just take a look at the facts?

As I stated before:

In the Netherlands, Thiomersal has never been in child vaccines, and yet the autism rates are roughly the same.

Now what does that tell you?

And Safe-Keeper: Keep going. We need the rationality.
 
August 2011. The Geier's are invited to participate in the

Third session of the intergovernmental negotiating committee to prepare a
global legally binding instrument on mercury. Nairobi, 31 October to 4
November 2011.
The only place this appears is courtesy of uber-crank Tim Bolen. You should vet your sources more thoroughly.

Este
 
So it isn't even true?

Praise the... Well, thank... Well, at least it's good news, even if it's non-news.
Nothing about it on the UN website so unless the Geier fanboi would like to provide a reputable source, I'm considering it a complete fabrication.

Este
 
Last edited:
I understand that most of these "anti vaccine, find a cure for autism" people think they are just being concerned, and that they can not do much harm.

But why don't they just take a look at the facts?
The problem, as I see it, is they haven't been taught critical thinking skills. With the Internet being what it is, that's a big problem. It's like giving everyone access to fast cars and highways without requiring anyone to take a driver's license.

Anecdotes (or "testimonials" in altmed-ish) aren't evidence. Pardon me if this sounds arrogant, but this is very basic critical thinking, just like "stay in the right lane" is a basic rule of the highway. When homoeopathy sells for billions of dollars in the US alone without a shred of evidence, and people can defend a given remedy just by saying "I tried it and felt better", this is more than anything else a sign that we're failing to teach people the skills they need to cope with all the conflicting messages they're fed by the mass media and Internet.

[/preaching to choir:p]
 
Completely unrelated from a medical/scientific standpoint (but that doesn't stop the mercury-autism brigade). However, you are in luck: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/08/the_mercury_zombie_arises_again.php

ETA: And I just found this: http://jabsloonies.blogspot.com/2011/08/comed-press-release-officially-load-of.html So it would appear that the Geiers are spinning some yarns again (I'm so shocked I tell you)

Este

A great read (the first link). Thank you.
 
I see one of the authors, Austin also wrote in another paper

Furthermore, it is difficult to reconcile a genetic cause with autism epidemiology given that autism was unknown prior to 1940 and the prevalence of the condition has increase exponentially since that time

As someone whose academic background is in history can I just say that this sort of thing makes my head explode :(

Presumably apples fell upwards prior to 1687
 
I see one of the authors, Austin also wrote in another paper

Furthermore, it is difficult to reconcile a genetic cause with autism epidemiology given that autism was unknown prior to 1940 and the prevalence of the condition has increase exponentially since that time

As someone whose academic background is in history can I just say that this sort of thing makes my head explode :(

Presumably apples fell upwards prior to 1687

They did if they were Arcturan stunt apples.

Pretty weird reasoning.

Equally, before 1492 the earth was flat (again, since the Greeks had made it round first, and then it was made flat by the church*).

Warning, gross oversimplifications of history are present in my post. Do not accept them as read, how temting that may be.
 
They did if they were Arcturan stunt apples.

Pretty weird reasoning.

Equally, before 1492 the earth was flat (again, since the Greeks had made it round first, and then it was made flat by the church*).

Warning, gross oversimplifications of history are present in my post. Do not accept them as read, how temting that may be.

For reasons of brevity I excluded the stunt apples ;)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom