• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Atlanta Klansman not as clever as he thought

I'm gonna be more certain, and not agree with the "you deserve whatever happens to you".

But I will say, you deserve to be among those who've committed the same crimes.

The man in question in the OP deserves punishment, but not "whatever" happens to him in prison; that's an unintended consequence of his crime.

Dahmer was an awful if not insane human being but I didn't feel he deserved to be bludgeoned to death in prison.
 
The problem here is conflating general schadenfreude with specific circumstance. It feels good to know that this guy will have a difficult time living comfortably in prison after what he did. I will agree with this very broad sentiment.

But when we get into specifics - I think it's funny that he will be raped - I have to draw the line there. We send people to prison for rape, any kind of rape - because it's considered by society at large that all rape is bad. There's a trap you fall into when you state that you believe there are circumstances in which rape may not be a bad thing after all, and that is joining the ranks of all people who use a similar line of reasoning. In my opinion if you say "it's okay, or even humorous, if he gets raped because of something he did", then you lose credibility when arguing against somebody else's assessment that the receiver of the rape bears responsibility because of "something he or she did", where "something" is "wearing slutty clothes" or "walking alone at night" or "teasing or flirting too much"...or even "acting like an adult". Because the difference between your "he was a child molester" and the other guy's "she was wearing slutty clothes and teasing" is not one of logic or reasoning.

If the inmate who's delivering the "humorous" rape is a man who was sentenced to prison for multiple rape - is that funny? How about if he was sentenced to prison for raping a child? If a woman is attacked and raped while walking home from work, and the guy is caught and prosecuted and sent to jail, and some time later it is revealed that the woman who was attacked happens to have been molesting her daughter or something - does her rape become retroactively funny?
 
Last edited:
I feel that the only thing worse than a child rapist is a child killer.

Those are about the only two crimes in which I would enjoy hearing that the perp was raped. Even if only retroactively when I find out that the rape victim was themselves a child rapist or child killer.

I would still say that any rape is wrong.
 

I'm going to agree with you. That's funny. He attacked someone, was monumentally outclassed in the attack, and got schooled.

Do you understand why "a man tries to attack someone else and gets knocked unconscious by that person" is different and provokes a different response to "a man rapes a child and is later raped in prison by another rapist"?
 
Do you understand why "a man tries to attack someone else and gets knocked unconscious by that person" is different and provokes a different response to "a man rapes a child and is later raped in prison by another rapist"?

Sure it's different, but a child rapist is the lowest of the low. Pure Evil would be an improvement. They are a blight on society, and quite frankly should be put down instead of using my hard earned tax dollars to support. Whatever becomes of them, CHILD RAPISTS, is fine by me. And the irony is funny, IMO.

This does not make me a bad person. Not by a longshot.
 
Sure it's different, but a child rapist is the lowest of the low. Pure Evil would be an improvement. They are a blight on society, and quite frankly should be put down instead of using my hard earned tax dollars to support. Whatever becomes of them, CHILD RAPISTS, is fine by me. And the irony is funny, IMO.

This does not make me a bad person. Not by a longshot.

I disagree. I think the fact that you enjoy the thought of someone getting raped, no matter who that person is, makes you pretty bad. That's just me, though.
 
This does not make me a bad person.

Certainly not. But it is an immoral attitude, and one that is symptomatic of a societal problem -- namely, people's willingness to ignore crimes committed in environments where they don't care about the victims.

It would be wrong to say this attitude makes you a "bad person", but it is in fact a bad thing about you -- a flaw; a negative trait.
 
I am also against the death penalty.

But I don't think people who would enjoy hearing that a killer is executed are bad people. It's a difference of opinion.

And killing someone is worse than raping someone.
 
What I really find sort of fascinating is other's ability to call this trash "human".

It's not hard. Proper brain and body type, right number of chromosomes, ability to proces language and communicate in kind. Anything that's important for labelling as "human" is there.

People may lose their right to continue to live if they commit certain crimes, but you always get treated as a human being. If you don't, it's society's loss rather than yours.

Because denegrating or mistreating human beings always harms society more than it harms the person being mistreated, whether that person is particularly evil or not.
 
I am also against the death penalty.

But I don't think people who would enjoy hearing that a killer is executed are bad people. It's a difference of opinion.

And killing someone is worse than raping someone.

Supporting harsh punishments is not the same as supporting prison crimes.
If you're willing to support a judge ordering a rape of a criminal, I'm willing to listen to your argument.
Similarly, I would agree that supporting the murder of one inmate by another is immoral.
Supporting execution is not the same as supporting prison murder.
 
No. You have the right to hold immoral attitudes, but that doesn't mean they are moral equivalent to other, moral attitudes.

You are a rape-supporter, and that is bad.

So you're a black-and-white person? No grey areas?
 
I am also against the death penalty.

But I don't think people who would enjoy hearing that a killer is executed are bad people. It's a difference of opinion.

And killing someone is worse than raping someone.

I don't think the two situations are directly comparable, to be honest.

I'm also opposed to the death penalty, but the death penalty is a sentence passed by a court. A crime is not committed when someone is executed, and the person who has carried out the execution is not a murderer.

Taking pleasure over what you see as justice being carried out is I think different to taking pleasure over a crime being committed.

I suppose a more direct comparison would be whether you would take pleasure over a killer being stabbed to death by another prisoner, whose crimes may be every bit as bad.
 
So you're a black-and-white person? No grey areas?

considering that you earlier tried to position anyone who didn't think this man should be executed as wanting "to hold his hand and council him into a better life", I don't think you're the right person to be accusing others of lacking nuance.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom