Just for me

so I can see/remember:
M2 wiki MONEY includes:
- Notes and coins (currency) in circulation (outside Federal Reserve Banks, and the vaults of depository institutions)
- Traveler's checks of non-bank issuers
- DEMAND DEPOSITS (A demand deposit or bank money refers to the funds held in demand
deposit accounts in commercial banks.[1] These account balances are usually considered money and form the greater part of the money supply of a country).
- Other checkable deposits (OCDs), which consist primarily of negotiable order of withdrawal (NOW) accounts at depository institutions and credit union share draft accounts.
- Savings deposits
- Time deposits less than $100,000 and money-market deposit accounts for individuals
Famous quote by Milton Friedman
"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon, in the sense that it cannot occur without a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output."
What is this output?
What would that be?
Did he mean production or something like that?
If so
This raises the question how do you measure that?
What is this output and how do you determine it's value, I mean I see quantity of money being compared to this output - quantity of money I can imagine, but this output is a bit unclear to me. Maybe it means something completely different? Still they are compared to each other.
Thus one of the key roles of modern central banks is to monitor inflation and increase/decrease the money supply to keep in the desired range (usually 1%-2%) but this isn’t always easy because it responds to M2 money which the central banks can influence but not control. On a day to day level, however banks in their normal operation respond to the changing needs of the economy far faster than a central bank can so even if control is less precise it’s still better to work this way.
I think I have some picture of this, M2 can be influenced but it is hard to control for a
Central Bank. CBanks respond faster and have a more direct influence. I should do some more reading about inflation I guess.
Depending on the context bank deposits can either be money or they can simply be a contract between borrower&lender. The process of FRB creates additional deposits which are in a way very similar to futures contracts they are promises to deliver a certain amount of money on certain terms. In some contexts this acts like money so it’s called money. In other another context however it does not behave the same way real base money does.
So bank deposits can be a contract or money.
I understand the (sum of) money part.
And I think a bank deposit can include coin and paper currency, deposits of valuables in safe deposit boxes maybe. Important papers, jewelry, and other things people want to keep in a protected environment.
What are these contracts are these IOU's for example?
SIDE - NOTE for Finsend

- should look up back - I think I asked this before do only dollars count as reserves or also gold/jewelry foreign currency etc?)
I understand some of the FRB process creating additional deposits and can imagine these are future contracts, promises... prooooomemeeesis

sorry, that was a song was it not?

to deliver money on certain terms. This acting as money is clear to me (more or less) but this other context is not completely - yet. I think it has to do with the type of deposit (?) being not base money - but we are not talking about jewelry here are we? Maybe I am missing the point here, could very well be the case.
So this is still a bit fuzzy for me, but I think I will check the internet to see if I can find some more info about this context and types of deposits!
When people say “banks are creating money via FRB” they are making 2 mistakes. Fist the bank isn’t creating money; it’s the interplay between bank and borrower that creates the money. Second they are conflating the context. What they create is only money in certain contexts but it’s very different from money in another context.
THIS IS AN IMPORTANT PART for me.
QIo-
It’s the interplay between bank and borrower that creates the money.-UQIo
This is "true" and important. AND there are many many many things to say about this one.
A very important statement as far as I am concerned. And here we could get into the opinion-section I guess... Maybe we should.
Because it is indeed (IMO) some kind of interplay - as you say

I think this is what this thread is about for some (big) part.
More on this one later I hope!
2nd -
Context - this is probably technical?
Is it?
I am not sure what you mean exactly by these contexts, but I have some ideas.
Maybe you c/would say some more about these contexts so I understand what you mean by that (?). Or point me to someplace.
--
Originally Posted by Finsend
Does this mean the FED will print/create it for the banks in trouble, like I think the ECB is also doing maybe?
It can, it has the authority, but it’s a power that the Fed is extremely reluctant to use because of the obvious dangers. It’s something that would be done only if every other alternative was exhausted, and possibly not even then.
This might be about the To Big to Fall one's?
An important issue - maybe - as well.
--
Originally Posted by Finsend
(1.) Government Aid - FIDC I do not know - wait - Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) = is a United States government corporation created by the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933. Ok so I have some idea, but not too much I'm afraid Maybe I dig into this later. Where do they get their money from?
2. Ok. This seems clear. FED can always create money - but this could cause other problem(s) right? If they do it too much too fast maybe?
I heard of this Lehman Bank and how it went down. Why were they not saved by 1. or 2.?
FDIC doesn’t protect banks
<snip>
cause a domino effect where one bank after another fails do to decisions they had little to do with.
Thanx for this info I seem to understand most of it.
Still I asked:
What if lots of people run to the bank and ask for their money, what will happen, if the banks cannot pay? The banks could default and the people could lose their money, could they not?
You said:
Prior to the creation of the Federal Reserve and FDIC this is exactly what would happen. Today there are a couple measures that prevent this.
First all deposits up to a certain value are fully insured by the US government via the FIDC so if the bank cannot pay the FIDC will, up to $250K.
Second the Federal Reserve has the power to lend money directly to banks, though it prefers to have banks lend their excess reserves to one another. To secure these loans the bank needs to put up quality assets as collateral, so as long as they meet the asset requirement they can always borrow the base money to meet reserve requirements.
The Lehman Brothers <snip by Finsend> could not keep their reserves up.
FDIC doesn’t protect banks it protects depositors
<snip>
moral hazard.
<snip>
market will regulate itself and eliminate these bad decisions.
<snip>
What they rapidly discovered, however, is that the banking system is so large an interconnected that allowing one part of it to fail could cause other parts to fail and cause a domino effect where one bank after another fails do to decisions they had little to do with.
I <snipped> and bolded First and Second up
SO FIDC will help depositors up to $250K (when - if a bank cannot pay up - I guess so(?) - I guess $250K per depositor(?).
I guess they have thought about this and did the math (which I hate) so this would be (some/big?) safety net - is there a max total limit of cash/reserves etc this FIDC has BTW?
AND we have 2nd The FED who has the power to lend money to the banks directly (using current interest rate? / no interest?) BUT FED prefers other banks do this IF they have excess reserves - banks wanting some loan need to have quality assets as collateral - things like stocks bonds real estate, I guess.
- - -
Some things I wonder about lately:
Lately I hear a lot about Greece, Ireland, Portugal, maybe Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, etc but also about the US debt, etc. Some banks that might or might not be in trouble, etc.
So with regards to the current situation and remembering 2008 etc is there anyway of saying that other banks might fall, in the US or UK/Europe - I guess it would be similar over here on the other side of the pond - for example? Is this safety net enough if things get worse, what should the FED/others do and how could these debts be erased, etc, etc...
...
Now I take break

So thank you very much for this one!
I learned a lot again, and
Cheers4now,
Finsend