Not so sure about that. Out of GTR and semi-Riemannian geometry Hartle's, Wald's, and O'Neill's books disagree. Out of the mathematicians' differential geometry books, Spivak's, do Carmo's, and Chern's disagree. I haven't bothered looking for more, but all of those either explicitly define coordinate charts and coordinate systems to be synonymous (e.g., Wald) or define a coordinate system as a chart that's a member of the atlas of charts, which just puts an extra differential compatibility condition that has nothing to do with measurement of lengths or angles. In other words, nothing at all like what you're doing.A coordinate system is a way to get coordinates.
If you wanted some notion of "coordinate system" distinct from charts, you really should have made your meaning explicitly clear beforehand.
You brought up charts, because coordinate systems are charts. If you actually wanted to talk about frame fields or tetrads, simply do so. And if that's not what you want, define your own concept.I thought you might bring up coordinate charts, I was thinking I might want to head you off at the pass in one of the last posts, but decided not to. I kind of tried to by bringing up the "within a given region" phrase (basically the same idea as coordinate charts), as well as the "modulo some frame" bit so that you would not be able to bring in relativistic effects either as a point of contention. Since I was referring to only one "region", I thought you would pick up on the meaning of why geordinates could cause problems in said region, but alas, such is life.
Um, no. Why would I think that if you've given me that metric?Stop thinking in highlevel math for a minute and consider how one measures things like coordinates. Here is a metric:
ds^2 = dx^2 + x^2 dy^2.
I bet you thought I meant that x and y were Cartesian huh?
Why would I say that? It's very obviously flat. The nonzero connection coefficients are Γxxy = Γxyx = 1/r and Γyxx = -r. The curvature is identically zero. Look, I've been saying that coordinates are arbitrary labels and you expect that I would be fooled by a label? How much credit are you giving me here, exactly?If you take the metric I wrote above and interpret the x and y as 2-D cartesian then you would say that the space was warped, ...
No it isn't. In coordinate-free language, the metric is a symmetric nondegenerate (0,2)-tensor field of constant index. That's it. In contrast, what you just said is so manifestly coordinate-dependent that I'm beginning to wonder whether you're trolling.The above statement for ds is in coordinate-free language.
Ok. Since you apparently accept that coordinate-based characterization, let's also slightly generalize and say that a spherically symmetric spacetime is one where the metric can be put in the formIf you can make the metric you gave above be coordinate-free as you claim, do it, because I have no idea what you are referring to exactly. Maybe I would learn something, my guess though is that your concepts are confused and trying to put the metric you gave in coordinate-free language would show that.
[latex]$ds^2 = -e^{2\nu}dt^2 + e^{2\lambda}dr^2 + r^2(d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta d\phi^2)$[/latex]
where ν,λ are functions of t,r only. Therefore, a spacetime is spherically symmetric if, and only if, it is a product manifold of two-dimensional manifolds, Lorentzian with metric g1 Riemannian with metric g2 and unit Gaussian curvature, such that [latex]$g = g_1 + e^{\lambda}g_2$[/latex] where λ is an arbitrary smooth function satisfying [latex]$g_2(d\lambda) = 0$[/latex]. Easy.
I suppose if one wanted to be completely correct, one would implement the appropriate projections explicitly, but that's trivial. In any case, you asked for a coordinate-free characterization of spherical symmetry, and there it is.
There was no claim by anyone at least minimally competent in GTR or differential geometry that the radial coordinate necessarily represents the sort of distance that you would get if you crawled along a radial path with ruler (which is what you're measuring). Some call the Schwarzschild radial coordinate a radius, sure. So what?I care because I love precision when it comes to thought. There was no claim by whom? When I first learned about them in a class in school the instructor literally said that r is the radius. In another class I took the claim was that r was the reduced circumference (the book "Spacetime Physics" was used).
D'oh. Well, I knew that, but English is not my native language.(just a stupid point, it is "different kinds of radii", I suck at English some times so do not be afraid in pointing out any syntax or spelling errors on my part either)
Well, I've never heard anyone being annoyingly vocal about it. Most folks find this completely obvious after familiarizing themselves with how the line elements works. It's like decrying the phrase "square of a vector" because it really should be "norm-squared of a vector".... will have a GRC of r (assuming we want the GRC of that spatial slice and r is not a function of the angles), and was certainly well known before Crothers. The point was that he noticed this about the Schw. Sol. and was the first I could tell of to be annoyingly vocal about it, unless you can show me someone else who did the same.
Look, let's take some perspective. You came into this thread not just to underline something you see as abuse of terminology, but paint it as a genuine misuse that leads to horrible errors in physics, to the effect that everyone might be mistaken in believing that there are such things as black holes. So please forgive me for feeling underwhelmed; I'm expecting some kind of genuine error that your concept fixes, rather than what amounts to a criticism of word usage.
Coordinates are just labels. The experimentalist typically measures things in an ONB (orthonormal basis), which is a particular type of tetrad, and would therefore give the tetrad components of the stress-energy tensor rather than the coordinate components.Ughghg, by now I hope you see that coordinates in coordinate systems are not just labels. Think of them as lables when you want to state things in a coordinate-free way, such as laws of nature, generalized formulas to find length, area etc. But if coordinates are just labels, go tell an experimentalist to find what p is -- oh, and it is just a label by the way. Is that momentum, pressure, context please!
You really need to understand the difference between coordinates, which are arbitrary labels, and vectors, which are genuine geometric objects.Sorry if that sounds smug, but I told you people in the field forget that coordinates in a coordinate system have an operational meaning when a specific solution is rendered, and you went and proved as much by your reply.
Last edited:
