• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Anybody remember GOR books

I would find one of those Gor women intimidating. What if you don't match up? You would probably find yourself being ground into bird food. And yeah he pretty much invented the bird riding thing.
 
It isn't enough to pursue her,
To capture,enslave and subdue her.
He has yet in store
The worst Torture of Gor:
Eight more pages Explaining It to Her.

Some once wrote something to the effect that Earth traded Gor nubile slave girls in exchange for all of its humor and apostrophes.
 
Someone once described the Gor movie as a movie about sex and bondage without any sex and bondage.....

Pretty much. It was a Cannon movie, which meant it had to be pretty much the lowest common denominator. A Gor movie true to the book would have to be a very expensive (for the special effects, giant ride-able birds don't come cheap) fetish movie. Kind of limits where and to whom it can be shown.
 
Just one word: dreadful

Its just your basic Sid Meirs despotic government system. Either you are strong and rule or you are weak and are ruled. Some people find this system dreadful, some find it exciting and fun. I am not implying that all the gor books were exciting though.
 
"Gor" and "Outlaw of Gor" with Playmate Rebecca Ferratti in her finest role...
With Jack Palance as a "Priest-king"... ISTR the p-k's were giant Alien-type insects.
Miscast there, but Rebecca was wonderful! :)
 

Attachments

  • RebeccaF.jpg
    RebeccaF.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
"Gor" and "Outlaw of Gor" with Playmate Rebecca Ferratti in her finest role...
With Jack Palance as a "Priest-king"... ISTR the p-k's were giant Alien-type insects.
Miscast there, but Rebecca was wonderful! :)

Yes, the one redeeming feature of those movies. ;)
 
I went thru my old book collection.... and found I have 17 of those things!
The shame! :)
Along with Carter on Mars and Carson on Venus.. And a few Pellucidars.
 
I used to have a lot of the Gor books - up till "Guardsman" as I recall. I usually found the best way to read the later ones (they were pretty much OK up until his first attempt at having a "female" narrator) was to skim through quickly once to find out where the "philosophising" sections were so you could skip over them on the second detailed reading - the narrative passages tended to be journeyman grade sword-and-sandal stuff. I basically lost interest in them after my mid-20's.
 
Anybody ever read his book "Imaginative Sex" ?
I have a copy laying around somewhere, if I didn't burn it. It seemed to be the Gor books distilled into a couple hundred pages. Which could've been further distilled into a letter to Penthouse.
 
When I was introduced to the Dominant/submissive lifestyle a few years ago it was by way of a group that had banned the Gor novels. One of the members of the group was in a Gorean relationship that was more akin to abuse.

After leaving that group, I did read the first 3 which weren't godawful, but clearly not classic literature. Somewhere in the fourth I started getting far too annoyed at the pages-long descriptions of the local flora and fauna that amounted to 'it looked like an apple and tasted like a grape.' I gave up quickly.

As an aside, there's a Gorean community on Second Life. I haven't bothered to see how active they are lately, but several years ago it was rather active with several dedicated sims.
 
Open-minded self from the 70s: That's cool!

Current self, who regrets having opened this thread: That's...um...cool?

;)
 
Actually, I am glad the thread was created. Now I know I wasn't the only one who thought that Norman drowned his work in his own psycho-sexual ideology.
 
Before anyone Netflix's Gor, I feel it only merciful to let you know what you're getting into.


That's one of the funniest reviews I've read in a long time! Reminded me of the guys at Something Awful.

From the review: He's a third degree black belt at the Jerry Lewis School of Fighting and Froinlavening.

That made me laugh out loud. I even said it out loud several times in the Jerry Lewis voice.
 
I have read that for a science fiction convention in the 1970s, Randall Garrett wrote a playlet called "Free Amazons of Gor". What would I not give to read that.
 
I give you
"Houseplants of Gor"
Excerpt said:
The cactus plant next to the spider plant shuddered. It attempted to cover its small form with its small arms and small needles. "I am plant," it said wonderingly. "I am of Earth, but for the first time, I feel myself truly plantlike. On Earth, I w as able to control my watering. I often scorned those who would water me. But they were weak, and did not see my scorn for what it was, the weak attempt of a small plant to protect itself. Not one of the weak Earth waterers would dare to water a plant if it did not wish it. But on Gor," it shuddered, "on Gor it is different. Here, those who wish to water will water their plants as they wish. But strangely, I feel myself most plantlike when I am at the mercy of a strong Gorean master, who may water m e as he pleases."

"I will now water you," said Borin, the cactus's Gorean master.

The cactus did not resist being watered. Perhaps it was realizing that such watering was its master's to control. Too, perhaps it knew that this master was far superior to those of Earth, who would not water it if it did not wish to be watered.

The cactus's watering had been finished. The spider plant looked at it.

"I have been well watered," it said.

"I, too, have been well watered," said the cactus.

"My master has watered me well," said the spider plant.

"My master, too, has watered me well," said the cactus. etc etc etc
http://www.rdrop.com/~wyvern/data/houseplants.html
 
Last edited:
There used to be tons of Gor parodies online. I confess that during a brief fling with writing fan-fic, I did a "Buffy goes to Gor" story. Tarl Cabot has a rough time of it...
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom