What I don't see is how people who wouldn't hesitate to praise artwork they thought was done by a child and think it's not so hot if they were told it was done by the greatest artist in the world thinks it somehow contradictory to apply similar thinking when the topic is God's work.
I see. That makes a lot more sense now that you explained it. Thanks.
I respect your right to your opinion and am sympathetic to the reasons you hold it.
Same to you.
Most atheists don't deny the existence of God. We just haven't been convinced by what we've heard so far. It probably wouldn't take 'I am real' spelled out in galaxies to convince most of us. For some reason, if there is a God, it has not chosen yet to inspire its followers to make make a case for it's existence that doesn't rest on a fallacy, a bare assertion, or hearsay.
IMHO, I don't think God would care a whole lot about human logic or anything. You are correct, however, that if God really wanted to reveal Himself, He most certainly could at any point. I don;t think it would happen before the Second Coming of Christ though.
No problem.
You're very welcome.
I agree, the reason we find the evidence we do is conceivably because it is part of an omnipotent God's plan. I'm just saying the evidence doesn't require an omnipotent God to explain it.
So, your saying there could be a difference between the evidence we find in science IRT God, and the possibility of the actual existence of God? I can accept this as well.
I'm not claiming anything about an unknowable God. I'm making an observation that has implications for some of the versions that some people claim they do know something about. You're employing a double standard here: theists get to argue that the universe and life are evidence of a specific God's handiwork and claim that it is congruent with a specific God's work, and when I respond, suddenly that specific God is so unknowable it doesn't make sense to try to try to fathom what it does.
One of the biggest reasons why I am not at all a strict Catholic. (I am not really Catholic any longer, as I have not received Communion in several years.) I made this argument to myself about 7 years ago, when I was 20 or 21 or so. I saw the contradiction in my aunt's "preachiness" to a buddy of mine about how much she claims she knows all about God and the way He works. When my brother would question her, she would just say: "Oh, He works in mysterious ways, and he is completely unknowable."
I brought that problem up to her, and she was all snooty about it, and said "Well! We do have the Bible, after all!" I then told her that if God were so all-knowing and so much higher; above and beyond us; then how can the Bible be anything BUT total laymen's terms?
I sort of had my own internal revelation about the Bible right then and there. I was already working up to the point where I thought the creation story, as an example, was just simply allegorical. I was told by one of the priests at one point, that Jesus has said everything in scripture (the OT) was true. And if Jesus said it was true and you believe in Jesus, then the creation story had to be literal**.
But after telling my aunt that if God were so far above and beyond us mere mortal humans, then the Bible couldn't be anything but laymen's terms; I had an answer to what the priest had told me** just a couple of weeks before hand.
This is what I concluded: Of course the Bible is True, as far as it can possibly be explained in human terms. Kind of like trying to explain gravity to a second grader (if you read the one education thread, you would understand.) But in case you haven't, here's an example:
Back in the days when the OT was first being written, assuming it is a direct revelation from God Himself, how in the world could God possibly explain all the inner-workings of how the Earth was created and the animals, and eventually humans came about? Explain all of this to a people that was barely out of the Stone Age? He couldn't. He would have them so thoroughly confused, much like a second grader would become thoroughly confused if you tried to explain String Theory to him.
So maybe God instead decided to use the allegory of seven days to possibly show the order of which things came about. "In the beginning, there was light. (the Big Bang,") on Day one.
Then he created the sky (the stars, and all the "heavens" as seen from earth) on day two.
On the third day there was dry land, followed up by water. The text mentions dry land before it mentions water. (The earth was formed before being bombarded by comets which filled it with water. Very soon thereafter still on the third day was plants and vegetation. In reality, primitive life began within a billion years of the formation on earth. Pretty much immediately after water started forming.) There is scientific evidence of an "oxygen catastrophe" produced by possible cyanobacteria, which killed off many of the early life forms, caused iron and rocks to oxidize, and possibly caused the earth to become a global iceball.
While all of this was going on, the earth was still being bombarded by comets and asteroids, with volcanoes erupting. On day four in the bible, the sun and stars were created. This was a time of decreased cometary and asteroidal collisions. So the atmosphere began to clear to allow more sunlight and so forth through, and caused the earth to warm up and get out of the "snowball" phase.
Over the next 4 billion years (about 500 million years ago,) the "small shelly fauna" appeared, which quickly and very rapidly began to diversify into more and more complex animals. Within a hundred million years? There were birds and things. This was day five.
Finally, on Day 6, homo sapiens sapiens finally evolved and began to walk the earth.
And at the start of day seven, Christ died on the cross for our sins. At which point, God took a rest to bless his creation and make it holy. This is still Day seven as we speak. Hence, God doesn't get involved with human affairs a whole lot if at all anymore. Since God is "resting," he allows things to shake up mankind.
It is up to us to fill in the clues and blanks of His creation in order to hopefully learn more/something about Him. It isn't up to us to question why he did this that, and the other thing. Which is why science should remain distinguished from religion/philosophy.
As a human being, there are limits to how I can ensure my dog's health. If I were omnipotent I could do so effortlessly without causing my dog any distress. So your example is fundamentally a different case than the situation I'm talking about.
In the grand scheme of things, it is rather silly to try to compare our very limited human knowledge about a dog and his health to God's unlimited omnipotence. But I think you can still do so, in order to best illustrate the point that we are so much lower than God; that there is no way of knowing Him (His plans at least,) or how He does things and why.
The difference between humans and God, is much greater than the smallest, lowest, and homeliness thing in the universe is to a human. Which is why it was a rather "silly" comparison for a human-dog comparison with a God-human comparison. But the point was: to show the love we have for something is great enough to allow us to cause it pain for it's own good, even if the dog has no idea why you did such a thing to him, especially if you love him so much.
What the "good" in the recent disaster in Japan was: God only knows! After all, we are only dogs and have no idea why something which loves us so much causes us so much pain and suffering.
Why don't you give up on your God being so omnimax? A very powerful and wise God who created the universe and wants the best for us, but isn't in control of everything that happens and doesn't know
everything is neither internally inconsistent or at odds with what we observe of the universe. Why do you cling to a concept of God that is so problematical?
Maybe the ancient Hebrews
did have dealings with the creator of the universe, and were properly frightened, and erred on the side of flattery when describing Yahweh.
I think that a less fantastical God who doesn't torment nonbelievers eternally in the afterlife may eventually supplant the current typical Christian conception of God eventually...and then we'll have much less to argue about.
I hope the illustrations I have provided above this helps with clearing up my personal belief system. Do note, I do not claim to represent anybody else, or any other belief system out there. What I believe specifically is my own philosophy on the matter for the conclusions I have come to between reconciling the Bible and various Christian teachings, with the toughest atheistic questions you guys can conceive. I have honestly done this in my own mind over the course of the past seven years or so. I may be wildly incorrect or look like a complete fool, but alas.
ETA: Made many grammar/spelling mistakes. Cleared up many ambiguous sentences.