Nihilianth
Illuminator
- Joined
- Feb 25, 2011
- Messages
- 3,851
I agree. Good point.
I actually think that believers who won't stand next to their Abrahamic God and say, "yeah ... my god kills babies, and watches people suffer, and gets angry. I don't agree with him or like it. I think it's evil, and I think what he does is evil 99% of the time. But he still exists. I won't do everything I think he wants, but still ...." are throwing him under the bus as well.
So car designers are lazy and have a lack of imagination?
Do you find the universe boring and unoriginal?
I don't understand this argument either .... which basically says, that if god is anything like us then he/she/it sucks. Why? Do we suck? Because in the same breath, the atheist will usually talk about how awe inspiring the universe is and how amazing physics are and how fascinating creatures are .... but if god is anything like us, then he must suck. I don't get that. It's contradictory reasoning to dismiss the idea of an intelligent designer.
If there is no evidence for intelligent design, then fine. But to make offensive remarks and put downs about a non existent entity ... the believers have therefore just as much right to defend the same non-existent entity against remarks like that.
"The tea cup doesn't exist."
"Yes it does".
"No it doesn't exist. And it's stupid."
Really?
[/win]
To add:
How can one say that God is unoriginal, or lazy, or unthoughtful, if he allowed a way to have so many animals with such similar design look....completely different. Like the stripes on tiger fur, vs a relatively hairless human being?
And take humans, for example. There are 6-7 billion of us on this planet at the moment. We all look completely different, with different facial structures, DNA, and fingerprints. Hell, even identical twins have different DNA and fingerprints. And they even LOOK different most of the time. I have an identical twin brother, and we got older, people are able to tell us apart much easier.
And lions. Every single individual lion has a slightly different smell to it. This is so lion cubs could identify their mothers for miles away.
I dunno. I just think for such discerning scientific atheists to just totally discount the possibility for a God, god, gods, or "Intelligent Designer...." what have you....is a bit on the foolish side. It's kind of like back in the day, when people scoffed at the idea that the earth was round. They thought it impossible. (Unbelievably, there are apparently people still around in the year 2011 who actually believe it is flat!)
But yeah. The argument that atheists can "oohh" and "ahh" over the wonders of the universe, and the many and varied species on the one hand, but then ask the question "why is God so unoriginal, if he exists?" on the other, is quite a win argument.