I have been thinking, and was wondering if someone more knowledgeable could answer a question for me.
On first glance, one of the critical mistakes that seems to be made with this powerplant is to stick it right on the coast in an area that is Tsunami prone (the word itself is Japanese!).
But then it occurred to me; a nuclear powerplant needs water right, as a coolant. Without it, it seems meltdown is pretty much a certainty. Do they pull water from the mains, or do they have an isolated source on site that they just recycle or something?
Seems to me, if they use mains supply, there's a real danger in the event of a large earthquake of that supply being interrupted by damaged water systems. Even if the pipes to that particular plant did not fail, damage elsewhere in the system could drop water pressure to the point that it's unusable.
(I believe loss of water pressure has proved a major problem for firefighting efforts in multiple historic disasters including the Kobe quake, the Christchurch quake, and 9/11).
Wouldn't it therefore make sense to locate a nuclear power station in close vicinity to a large natural source of water, in the event of the unthinkable? Like, I don't know, the sea? And wouldn't the threat of having zero coolant due to water mains failure be worse than having to resort to dumping sea water on the plant because a Tsunami damaged the site?
Does this seem plausible, or have I missed something?