@ Sceptic Tank:
Yes i hate arguing about arguing too .... so after reading your posts and trying to see your main points again, I'll try to cut to the chase of where I think we are disagreeing. And you are right ... I don't have to respond to anything, but initially you made some posts which I took the liberty of responding too, so I just wanted to "follow through" so to speak. I was the one who poked my head in and "started it" so I figured it was only fair to keep responding instead of evading, and see it through as far as you'd like to. Although like I said, I've basically lost interest in my point ... and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to agree with you and some of the others, nor you all with I ... but anyway, I'm continuing in order to take responsibility for my actions lol
Okay, so I think where we disagree, and then we both start saying "strawman" ... is based on some assumptions we are making about the nature of terms, and the attributes of what an omnipotent, infinitely creative god would or would not be. And yes, I probably "allow" for other interpretations of common Abrahamic ideas, because I wasn't raised with any religious upbringing, and I'm well traveled ... so I'm kind of "neutral" when it comes to some terms that others use, and ideas they have, as I just don't have some of the same biases. Like the word "faith" for example.
So, having said that, I don't think there are concrete objective attributes that can be linked to how an "omnipotent" or "infinitely intelligent and resourceful" creator would do things. If God is all knowing, with unlimited resources and creative ability, then that God can do however he/she/it pleases. Introduce suffering, death, useless body parts, inefficient environments ... whatever. Just because I have a million dollars, doesn't mean that I am going to spend it how everyone thinks I should. I might burn it if I wish. One will call that a waste, another will call that "awesome symbolism man" or what have you. The point, is that how someone feels a god should act (assuming they are omnipotent with unlimited creativity and are "perfect") doesn't mean that their opinion is correct. Perfect, good, etc ... are subjective concepts. And assuming that a millionaire will spend his million bucks, or that a perfect thing will always make logical sense to us, at all times ... doesn't mean that a thing isn't perfect.
It's just as perfect as it is imperfect. Because they are subjective. And an entire group getting together and saying a painting is perfect doesn't make it so either. Someone else might think differently.
A perfect sphere? I'd have to think about that, but it's a mathematical thing so sure, why not. But a perfect person? Or perfect beauty? Or "unlimited intelligence" .... I mean, there are too many subjective aspects to it.
So even if someone were capable of unlimited ability, it doesn't mean they would use it at all times, or in everything they created. There might be some "purpose" behind it as yet to be seen. It's the "god works in mysterious ways." Some accept that notion, other reject it because they don't find it practical.
If you find the idea of an all powerful god inconsistent with what you experience, it's because you think an all powerful god should do things differently. You think creation should have been formed differently. Etc and so forth. You might have many people who feel as you do. But it's not provable. Simple as that. You can prove what was accomplished or not accomplished, what is and what isn't ... but subjective qualities are not provable. They are opinion based.
THIS is why I think that the arguments against ID, based on what a person thinks is intelligent design or not .... are subjective and not evidence based. Either there is evidence that existence was created by a god, or there isn't. To say that a version of a god is inconsistent with how you think a god should/would behave and make choices, has nothing to do with whether or not a god actually exists ... it might elude to one being misunderstood, or under/over estimated, etc and so forth. But whether that god exists or not is based on evidence, not what we think of the job that god is doing. Obama, for example, exists ... there is not a "good Obama" and a "bad Obama". It's just ... Obama. And he is President of the USA. Regardless of whether or not people think he acts wisely or stupidly, intelligently or wastefully .... it's irrelevant. It's relevant to whether or not people will respect him, how they relate to him, whether or not they will tolerate him being in office or re-elect him, whether or not they will support him, etc and so forth. But it has nothing to do with whether or not he exists. He exists, and he is what he is. That's it. All else is personal opinion. For practical purposes, subjective opinions and anecdotes are evidence on some levels ... but for objective purposes, they usually are not. They point to things, but do not "prove" the existence of those things. Evolutionary trends can be mapped and witnessed in the real world. Some will say Goddidit. Whether they represent excellent choices or not, is irrelevant to whether or not a god designed it that way. A god either did or god didn't. Saying, "that groups version of god did not do it because they claim their god is perfect and I don't think existence is perfect" is focussing on someone's strawman and allowing them to misdirect away from the actual focus: either an entity was responsible for it or an entity wasn't, and that's based on evidence.
I think I know where you are going with this so I will just say "I am not omnipotent" and try my best to head it off at the pass.
Fair enough, I have no problem with that
