• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged 8.8 quake in Sendai, Japan

Anyone else feel like the media so over-uses terms like "immense", "massive", etc that it's become impossible to gauge accurately the scope of damage in such natural disasters? The only term I can really think of now that's generally reserved for truly unbelievably horrendous devastation is "catastrophic".
 
Do we have a reliable source yet to the claim of some sort of problem/fire/anything at a Nuclear powerplant in Japan?
 
ironic - just heard on BBC that in 2 weeks Sulawesi is scheduled to have an earthquake/tsunami drill based on the scenario of a major earthquake off the coast of Japan.
 
The government in Hawaii is starting to shut roads and forbid people from parking in safe zones. None of the public park night gates have been open AFAIK. If the wave really gets here, it may be ugly. Maybe theyll get rid of the last of those pesky hawaiians and poor people
 
TOKYO -(Dow Jones)- A Japanese provider of electric power filed an emergency report with the government Friday after a massive earthquake shut down reactors at one of its main nuclear power plants, and the company said it faces a shortage of capacity to cool the reactors.
But there is no leakage of radioactive material from Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s (9501.TO) Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, the company said.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Naoto Kan will issue a nuclear emergency statement at 6:30 pm local time (0930 GMT).
-By Yuka Hayashi, The Wall Street Journal
 
1113: Japan has declared a state of emergency because of the failure of the cooling system at one nuclear plant, according to the Associated Press. Officials say there has been no leak of radiation
 
@ Puppycow: Take care, I hope you'll be alright. The same goes for all the other people there as well of course.

Apparently, the tsunami didn't do much damage in Taiwan, and the Marshall Islands have lowered their tsunami alert level, says www.nu.nl, a Dutch news website.
Does this mean the tsunami seems to be not as bad as they initially thought? Or could it still be bad in other areas?

Also, I still read reports about a nuclear plant in Onagawa burning.

How about the 4 million people without power in Tokyo? If they stay without power for long, I imagine that'll be a major problem too.
 
I first caught wind of this from Facebook as some of my brother's friends started to request information (he's studying abroad in Kyoto). I don't think he'll have been affected, although I don't have any confirmation from him yet.

My heart goes out to everyone in Japan - I hope the deaths and damage will be limited, although I fear that's not the case.
 
Apparently, the tsunami didn't do much damage in Taiwan, and the Marshall Islands have lowered their tsunami alert level, says www.nu.nl, a Dutch news website.
Does this mean the tsunami seems to be not as bad as they initially thought? Or could it still be bad in other areas?
A reporter from Taiwan has just said they don't tend to get Tsunami's there because of the ocean floor topography.
It's still very possible a wave could be developing at the other alerted locations.
 
Boy that was scary.

Me and my family are OK.

Where in Japan are you?

We felt it down here in Osaka which is about 600 to 700 kilometres away if not more. At first I thought it was just a local, minor tremor but then found out the truth from the meterological warnings that flashed up on the TV.

Glad to hear you're okay though.
 
I'm back at my office now. I went down to the station but no luck.
Most of my coworkers are still here, and they have food.
The power's on and we can stay as long as we need to.
There's no way I'm getting home tonight so this is the best option.

Oh, good. I'm glad. Can you get through to your family?
 

Am i missing something?

All this article stated was that the cooling system failed at a plant. Nothing about fires, or an emergency. Maybe i dont know much about Nuclear Reactor facilities, but to me that article doesnt imply emergency or show evidence for it. I could be mistaken.

Anyway, if anyone finds a legitimate source stating anything about a Nuclear Power plant "emergency" please post a link. Trying to find out if there is any truth to this rumor that is spreading around FAST.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom