• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Chaos Magic

For me the elephant in the room is the act of creation itself. Can it be understood and can anything be gleaned about the creator?
That's anthropomorphising - why assume an act of creation by a creator?

Or are we the blind leading the blind through a dust world of pure coincidence and chance events?
Blind to what?
What dust?
Coincidence (in the general sense) is a conscious construction, pure or otherwise. If there was no perceived element of chance to events, life would be very dull & predictable.

BTW if you dropped the poesy, it would be easier to understand your point...
 
That's anthropomorphising - why assume an act of creation by a creator?


Blind to what?
What dust?
Coincidence (in the general sense) is a conscious construction, pure or otherwise. If there was no perceived element of chance to events, life would be very dull & predictable.

BTW if you dropped the poesy, it would be easier to understand your point...

The one thing that the mystical experience gives is the ability to write reams of gibberish.
 
Because people aren't making the points you want to argue, or you don't want to argue the points they are making?


When you're 'on script' you don't need to actually respond to the content of another's post you just write what's on the next page.
 
That's anthropomorphising - why assume an act of creation by a creator?


Blind to what?
What dust?
Coincidence (in the general sense) is a conscious construction, pure or otherwise. If there was no perceived element of chance to events, life would be very dull & predictable.

BTW if you dropped the poesy, it would be easier to understand your point...

Well I could say the known universe popped into existence, the point remains,what happened? was it just a loud popping noise or what?

"blind leading the blind", is a phrase suggesting a lack of direction or goal, perhaps going round in circles.

"dust" I am refering to a universe consisting largely of dust. Randomly scattered fragments of aggregations of atoms.

Please explain what you mean by 'poesy'.
 
When you're 'on script' you don't need to actually respond to the content of another's post you just write what's on the next page.

It's not that simple. The posts are responded to, point by point, with responses that frequently misinterpret, misunderstand, or straw-man the contents. I presume the reason is to appear to be successfully gainsaying or contradicting the post while not actually doing so. It's a political technique, as is answering a different question to the one asked.

Whatever the reason, the frequency could have implications for one's assessment of the original story, for example:

If this is repeated deliberate fabrication, one wonders if contents of the original story were also deliberately fabricated.

If this is repeated genuine misreading or misinterpretation, one wonders if the reported events of the original story were similarly misread or misinterpreted.

If this is a repeated failure of memory or intellect between reading the post and responding to it, one wonders if the reported events of the original story are a result of similar failings.

I think it's probably a bit of all three - in posts and story.
 
Well I could say the known universe popped into existence, the point remains,what happened? was it just a loud popping noise or what?
A tiny, very hot ball of energy expanded to become the universe we see. We don't know what came before that, but there are some interesting hypotheses - some of which may be testable.

You can imagine there was a loud 'pop' if you like - after all, it is called a big bang, and the CBR is called its 'echo'.

"blind leading the blind", is a phrase suggesting a lack of direction or goal, perhaps going round in circles.
Ah - I had a picture of the T-shirt image of figures following each other in evolutionary order, with each carrying a white stick.

As far as we know, there is no direction or goal for the universe, nor any reason to suppose there might be. That doesn't stop us having personal directions and goals.

"dust" I am refering to a universe consisting largely of dust. Randomly scattered fragments of aggregations of atoms.
Not this universe then, which is only about 4.6% normal matter.

Please explain what you mean by 'poesy'.
Artificial or sentimentalized poetic writing.
 
I can continue without 'belief', I am well used to it. However if you use it I may well shoot it down.
You can try.

Gibberish may be rational while not understandable buy certain frames of reference.
Gibberish is by definitionin meaningless. It's not rational and frames of reference are irrelevant.

You replied 'no' (post 1659) when I mentioned what I was refering to when using 'mind of God'.
Yes.

Can you explain how you arrived at no.
Sure. "No" in this case is shorthand for "The preceding assemblage of words quoted here appears to be a sentence, but this is purely syntactic, and it in fact conveys no coherent meaning, only the impression of a profoundly confused mind."

You can see why I abbreviate that to "No".
 
Well I could say the known universe popped into existence, the point remains,what happened? was it just a loud popping noise or what?

"blind leading the blind", is a phrase suggesting a lack of direction or goal, perhaps going round in circles.

"dust" I am refering to a universe consisting largely of dust. Randomly scattered fragments of aggregations of atoms.

Please explain what you mean by 'poesy'.

Buy a good dictionary.
 
the debate does seem to be going off at a tangent ...I'd like to ask a question,
Given that a few seem to think these unusual events,experiences are real despite no way to confirm them or having any evidence why should they be given any credibility? bearing in mind that should they be granted any such boon by science every fairy, bigfoot, nessie hunter, psychic and die hard woo fan would say what about us?!!!! I think that is a Panoras box that should be left well alone until someone comes up with a method to seperate any possible real phenomena from all the hoaxes, vivid imaginations etc in a way that can be scientifically verified
 
Just wanted to say I sure enjoy reading Pixy's reply's & posts - they are always either remarkably informative, or sharp-as-a-titanium blade rebuttals.
Keep on keeping on Pixy :)
 
the debate does seem to be going off at a tangent ...I'd like to ask a question,
Given that a few seem to think these unusual events,experiences are real despite no way to confirm them or having any evidence why should they be given any credibility? bearing in mind that should they be granted any such boon by science every fairy, bigfoot, nessie hunter, psychic and die hard woo fan would say what about us?!!!! I think that is a Panoras box that should be left well alone until someone comes up with a method to seperate any possible real phenomena from all the hoaxes, vivid imaginations etc in a way that can be scientifically verified

Experiments have been done on some of these phenomena and they don't exist.
 
You can try.


Gibberish is by definitionin meaningless. It's not rational and frames of reference are irrelevant.


Yes.


Sure. "No" in this case is shorthand for "The preceding assemblage of words quoted here appears to be a sentence, but this is purely syntactic, and it in fact conveys no coherent meaning, only the impression of a profoundly confused mind."

You can see why I abbreviate that to "No".

Oh I see, so what is gibberish from your perspective cannot be rational and any frames of reference are deemed irrelevant.

Let me simplify it for you.

I have assumed the principles/laws of nature had an origin.

That origin I am suggesting was the 'mind of God'.

Examples of these principles/laws, are evolution and gravity.

Now can you understand that?


Now are you going to address my point (rather than knit picking).

The paranormal event of the big bang.


Oh and to help you along I will define God too;

'An infinite omnipotent source'.
 
Why?



So your position is that you don't know how the universe began, therefore God did it?

No, I am suggesting God created the universe to stimulate the discussion.

I am interested in any explanations the 'materialists' may have for the origin of the universe.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom