• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged Electric Sun Theory (Split from: CME's, active regions and high energy flares)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF? It's been DAYS since his original post, I'm not clear if we are even communicating on the term "discharge" yet, [...]


We're not. But only because of the many, varied, and conflicting "definitions" offered by the electric Sun proponents and the refusal on their part to objectively and unambiguously define the term. The claim was...

For the record, I said that a solar flare *IS* an electrical discharge.


The implication, based on many comments made by electric Sun adherents, is that the "electrical discharge" mentioned is akin to an electrical discharge like lightning here on Earth or like sparks in a toy plasma ball. So just for the sake of clarity, is it reasonable to describe the claim as this?...

"A solar flare is an electrical discharge like lightning here on Earth and the sparks in a toy plasma ball."​


If not, we will accept that the term "electrical discharge" in the claim is not like lightning here on Earth or the sparks in a toy plasma ball. And then, in order to move forward, the term "electrical discharge", as used in the claim, will need to be defined in an unambiguous objective way.
 
Last edited:
. . . but even an amateur like me knows that discharges can and regularly do occur in "plasmas/conductors". Do you agree or disagree?

After pages and pages of hashing out the various definitions of the word "discharge," it troubles me that you can make a statement like this without specifying which definition of "discharge" you're using. Assuming that it referred to electricity, then:

If "discharge" means a sudden current flow due to a dielectric breakdown, then I, for one, do not agree.

If "discharge" means a reduction in charge separation due to a current flow, then I, for one, agree.

If "discharge" means just a current flow(wikipedia), then I, for one, agree.
 
First of all, I believe that I have already showed a superior understanding of discharges than my detractors by BUSTING THE FALSE CLAIMS made by GM and RC, something nobody else has done from their side of the aisle.

No you haven’t in order to do that you would have to show specifically how and where those claims were wrong. For the type of discharge involved in lightning that was alluded to for solar flares, those claims were not wrong. So you have once again demonstrated a clear lack of understanding.


I want to *FIRST* discuss the circuits and topics presented and the materials by *ALFVEN*, not me, and not t. Do you have some problem with that for any particular reason? IMO we all need to learn to walk before we can run.

Fine then discuss them and explain them as you claimed you could. Demonstrate that you do in fact understand them. Hey you could just even start with the circuit representations provided by tusenfem. “Do you have some problem with that for any particular reason?”


But I already know that is true, I know you understand the difference between current and discharges, and I know you understand that discharges can occur in a plasma.

Really, why? I have never described any kind of discharge in plasma. Why would you simply accept that I understand something I have not and perhaps can not demonstrate my ability to understand by explaining it in my own words?


Dungey certainly did. Was he in error. Yes or no?

Stop hiding behind Dungey, show that you understand and “can explain” as you claimed you could. Can you explain what you claimed you could “Yes or no?”


Ok. Did Bruce make that connection, and did he present any evidence to support it? Am I obligated to duplicate it? Did Dungey also call it an electrical discharge? Does that not count as evidence of anything?

Bruce who? It certainly doesn’t count as evidence that you understand any of this. Stop hiding behind others. Can you explain what you claimed you could “Yes or no?”


How so? Which statement have I made in this thread that is false that I haven't already admitted was false when presented with evidence to demonstrate it was false?

I can explain to you that Alfven's approach stores his energy in the coronal loop "circuits" by running current through that circuit.

Well then explain it to us, or admit that you simply can’t.

I can explain to you that the circuit energy is then suddenly released/discharged inside an exploding double layer and I know that you at least have some understanding of what I am talking about from the standpoint of electrical engineering.

Well then explain it to us, or admit that you simply can’t.




But I specifically didn't try to trust *MY PERSONAL* beliefs. I started with an EXTERNAL (to myself source) for a reason. I'm happy to defend it. I'm happy to EXPLAIN it too. I want to see *THEM* do exactly the same thing. I want to see them start with an *EXTERNAL* (to themselves) definition of a 'discharge" in a plasma. Is that really too much to ask?

Who cares about your personal beliefs? How can you “defend it” when you can’t show that you can explain or even understand it? So you want everyone else to hide behind someone’s assertion and not be able to explain anything they claim to understand themselves and in their own words?

Again here you claim “I'm happy to EXPLAIN it too”. Well get started or admit that you simply can’t.



Well, I freely admit that someone like yourself is much more likely to be adept at communicating the subtleties than an amateur like myself, but even an amateur like me knows that discharges can and regularly do occur in "plasmas/conductors". Do you agree or disagree?

It is your assertion you support it, that is if you understand it, if not then simply admit that you don’t. The fact is that if you can’t explain and specifically describe such a discharge in "plasmas/conductors" that you are referring to then you don’t have a clue what you are talking about regardless of whom might (or you might think) agrees with you.
 
Electric Sun & Magnetic Reconnection IX

I know this for a fact because Mr. Spock accused me of misrepresenting Alfven's position on the topic of "magnetic reconnection" theory, and I know for a fact that that is not the case.
I know for a fact that it is the case, although I doubt you know enough about plasma physics to realize it.
Then I will expect you then to provide *WRITTEN EVIDENCE* from published works of Alfven.
You expect wrong. Like I said, "I doubt you know enough about plasma physics to realize it." The fact that you make this demand only supports my claim that you don't understand plasma physics well enough to discuss the matter intelligently. The difference between ideal MHD, which was invented by Alfven, and non-ideal MHD (or resistive MHD) was not well developed when Alfven wrote his books. I have and have read Cosmic Plasma and I can find no indication in it that Alfven ever deals explicitly with non-ideal MHD. All of Alfven's work is implicitly in the realm of ideal MHD, which is hardly likely to show up as an explicit statement from Alfven.

However, let me stress once again: I doubt you know enough about plasma physics to realize it. Behold:


Alfven's rejection of magnetic reconnection is based on ideal MHD, which deals with plasmas that have zero resistivity.
And since no plasma in the universe has "zero" resistivity, he pretty much *ALWAYS* rejected it with the afformentioned items I listed to Mr. Spock involving INDUCTION at the point of PARTICLE reconnection.
So, Alfven rejects magnetic reconnection because Alfven assumes zero resistivity plasma and Mozina tells us, "no plasma in the universe has "zero" resistivity, ...". This is an explicit statement from Mozina that no plasma in the universe is consistent with Alfven's basic assumption of zero resistivity. It follows logically that Mozina should therefore reject Alfven's rejection of magnetic reconnection, and accept the physical validity of physical magnetic reconnection. However, Mozina actually says in full, "And since no plasma in the universe has "zero" resistivity, he pretty much *ALWAYS* rejected it ..." This is not a logically self consistent sentence. In fact, it is explicitly self-contradictory! Alfven rejects magnetic reconnection based on an assumption that Mozina agrees is not valid, but Mozina goes on to claim that the invalidity of Alfven's assumption supports his conclusion that required the validity of the assumption! Not only do I stand by my claim that Mozina does not know enough about plasma physics to discuss the matter intelligently, it appears that he does not know enough colloquial English or simple logic either.

I want to see them start with an *EXTERNAL* (to themselves) definition of a 'discharge" in a plasma. Is that really too much to ask?
Maybe not "too much" but certainly "the wrong thing" to ask. All of this endless discussion of what is or is not a "discharge" or an "electrical discharge" is nothing but an irrelevant smokescreen designed to avoid discussing the real issue, which is physics. Drop the inane argument over what name you want to attach to something (an old habit, your argument over the name of "dark energy" is equally inane). Stick to the real issue. Like I said before (Electric Sun and Coronal Heating III) ...
It seems to me that whether or not one wishes to call the hot plasma an "electrical discharge" is not really the point. It is certainly a poor choice of words, designed to generate confusion in the absence of a constantly repeated definition. But the real issue is the physics that underlies the words. What physically is really happening is the point. This is where Mozina runs into the brick wall of physics and catastrophically fails the test. He rejects magnetic reconnection in favor of exploding double layers, even though physics rejects the latter in favor of the former. He rejects the frozen flux approximation for magnetic fields in a plasma even though physics requires it. These two points are the most fundamental and critical points in this entire discussion. Everything in the physics of coronal heating, coronal loops, flares & CME's stems from these two critical concepts (with some thermodynamics & radiative transfer thrown in, but they don't yet seem to be points of contention).

As long as Mozina rejects these two critical concepts of physics, magnetic reconnection and the frozen flux approximation, then this discussion and all other similar discussions everywhere are doomed at once to become infinite loops of the same thing over & over & over & over again, ad infinitum, as has become the case for this discussion. Quite simply it's Mozina vs. physics, and I choose physics over Mozina every time.

Whether or not Alfven or anyone else rejected magnetic reconnection as a physical process is no longer relevant and has no place in this discussion. It is at best of only historical interest. Either we talk about relevant current physics as we know it to be or we do not. What's it going to be? I have already pointed out in numerous posts that Alfven's rejection of magnetic reconnection is invalid in the face of current physics as we know it. But All Mozina can do is quote Alfven from 30 years ago, or longer, but Mozina never can, never has and never will actually deal with real physics as we know it. I submit on that basis that Mozina has nothing of value left to contribute to this or any similar discussion.
 
No you haven’t in order to do that you would have to show specifically how and where those claims were wrong. For the type of discharge involved in lightning that was alluded to for solar flares, those claims were not wrong. .

Yes they are. It's just one type of discharge among many types. The only thing that is "different" about a lightening discharge is that it *JUST SO HAPPENS* to start in a gas and the process *STARTS* by ionizing a gas once the buildup process reaches a critical energy state. In other words, it just so happens that the process *STARTS* in a gas, rather than a plasma, but other than that, it's still buildup (storage) of EM energy, followed by a DISCHARGE that ionizes the media and CONTINUES TO DISCHARGE THROUGH A CONDUCTOR.

How many ways to I have to explain that? The lightning is just *ONE* kind of "electrical discharge", albeit a POWERFUL one, and a FAST one, hence the comparison by MANY authors including Dungey and Bruce.

Fine then discuss them and explain them as you claimed you could. Demonstrate that you do in fact understand them. Hey you could just even start with the circuit representations provided by tusenfem. “Do you have some problem with that for any particular reason?”

Yes. I'd rather start with ALFVEN's circuits actually since it is THOSE circuits and presentation we are discussing, not tusenfem's circuits.

Stop hiding behind Dungey, show that you understand and “can explain” as you claimed you could. Can you explain what you claimed you could “Yes or no?”

Bruce who? It certainly doesn’t count as evidence that you understand any of this. Stop hiding behind others. Can you explain what you claimed you could “Yes or no?”

All I can say is "wow". I have never been involved in a thread with so many dodged direct questions before. Every time I ask a question that might settle any sort of debate, the individuals simply dodges the question and around and around the denial-go-round we go. Was Dungey correct that discharges can happen in plasma? Yes or no? It's really a simple question. Why do you refuse to answer it?

Well then explain it to us, or admit that you simply can’t.

How can I explain anything if we can't agree on what a "discharge" in a "plasma" is and everyone keeps dodging the direct questions that might settle anything?

Yes or no did Dungey claim electrical discharges could happen in the solar atmosphere? Just answer the question.

*IF* I could get GM or the other haters to AGREE on that a "discharge" is a storage and rapid release of EM energy we might have a shot at "explaining' something. If everyone is intent on dodging every direct question and issue, it's nothing but a denial-go-round. Your call.
 
Last edited:
You expect wrong.

Ain't that the truth. I thought that *EVERYONE* was obligated to demonstrate their own claims with REAL published materials and that people would discuss those actual materials. Instead, it's just a denial-go-round around here, where the haters of EU theory deny all responsibility for their claims, handwave any claim they feel like and run like hell from any sort of discussion of Alfven's actual work, or Dungey's actual work. I thought this was a science forum. My bad.
 
Last edited:
We're not. But only because of the many, varied, and conflicting "definitions" offered

I only offered one. You never even *TRIED* to deal with it. What did he mean by the first sentence about releasing stored energy? Will the denial-go-round ever end? Dungey or you, which of you is right? Peratt or you, which is right? Can a discharge happen in a solar plasma, yes or no?
 
Last edited:
... handwave any claim they feel like and run like hell from any sort of discussion of Alfven's actual work...

Seriously, you think that TT has been unwilling to discuss Alfven's work?

The difference between ideal MHD, which was invented by Alfven, and non-ideal MHD (or resistive MHD) was not well developed when Alfven wrote his books. I have and have read Cosmic Plasma and I can find no indication in it that Alfven ever deals explicitly with non-ideal MHD. All of Alfven's work is implicitly in the realm of ideal MHD, which is hardly likely to show up as an explicit statement from Alfven.
. . .
So, Alfven rejects magnetic reconnection because Alfven assumes zero resistivity plasma and Mozina tells us, "no plasma in the universe has "zero" resistivity, ...". This is an explicit statement from Mozina that no plasma in the universe is consistent with Alfven's basic assumption of zero resistivity. It follows logically that Mozina should therefore reject Alfven's rejection of magnetic reconnection, and accept the physical validity of physical magnetic reconnection. However, Mozina actually says in full, "And since no plasma in the universe has "zero" resistivity, he pretty much *ALWAYS* rejected it ..." This is not a logically self consistent sentence. In fact, it is explicitly self-contradictory! Alfven rejects magnetic reconnection based on an assumption that Mozina agrees is not valid, but Mozina goes on to claim that the invalidity of Alfven's assumption supports his conclusion that required the validity of the assumption! Not only do I stand by my claim that Mozina does not know enough about plasma physics to discuss the matter intelligently, it appears that he does not know enough colloquial English or simple logic either.
. . .
Whether or not Alfven or anyone else rejected magnetic reconnection as a physical process is no longer relevant and has no place in this discussion. It is at best of only historical interest. Either we talk about relevant current physics as we know it to be or we do not. What's it going to be? I have already pointed out in numerous posts that Alfven's rejection of magnetic reconnection is invalid in the face of current physics as we know it.

(bolding mine)

No pleasin' some people . . .
 
. . . and run like hell from any sort of discussion of Alfven's actual work, or Dungey's actual work.

For that matter, I gave you my critique of the Dungey paper that you linked, and I said I couldn't find anything in it that actually supported Electric Sun. You responded that you'd provided it to show historical context (or something like that). If you've conceded that Dungey's' work doesn't support Electric Sun, what more discussion does it need?

And if you haven't conceded that, then can you respond to my critique before you ask that we critique it more?

(if you're talking about a different Dungey paper, then nevermind).
 
What "usual definition"?
..snipped rant...
The usual definition as defined in any physics textbook.
The one that any one who has done high school science has read, i.e. a sudden current allowed by the breakdown of of a dielectric medium.

You know the one that is different from Alfven's and Dungey's definition (Dungey's and Peratt's definition of discharge are different.)
The one that means that Solar flares are not caused by electrical discharges

Of course Alfven's and Dungey's definition also means that Solar flares are not caused by electrical discharges

So what ever definition you have proposed leads to the conclusion that you assertion is wrong.
 
First of all, I believe that I have already showed a superior understanding of discharges than my detractors by BUSTING THE FALSE CLAIMS made by GM and RC, something nobody else has done from their side of the aisle.
You are lying. I have made no claims, false or otherwise. Thus you cannot have busted them.

I have quoted the "claims" of
  • Peratt: "An electrical discharge is a sudden release of electric or magnetic stored energy. This generally occurs when the electromagnetic stress exceeds some threshold for breakdown that is usually detemined by small scale properties of the energy transmission medium."
    This is the usual defintion of an electrical discharge.
  • Dungey: "A 'discharge' will be a region [of a large mass of ionized gas in a more or less complicated state of motion] in which the electrons are accelerated to high energies by the electric field, so that all the electrons are moving in the same direction with large velocities."
These are clearly differnt phenomena (Dungey's and Peratt's definition of discharge are different.)

You have not shown any "superior" understanding of discharges.
You were the one who did not define the term electrical discharge in your original assertion. That makes your assertion total nonsense. But then you cited Peratt's defintion which confirmed your original assertion as nonsense.

The only way that your original assertion makes any physical sense is if you use the outdated and no longer used "electrical discharge" = a current definition.
Under either meaning (or Alfven's of discharge = current): Solar flares are not caused by electrical discharges
 
For that matter, I gave you my critique of the Dungey paper

FYI, you aren't a "hater" in my book, and I'm not complaining about our conversations at all.

that you linked, and I said I couldn't find anything in it that actually supported Electric Sun.

You did see the word discharge in there with respect to flares however, right?

You responded that you'd provided it to show historical context (or something like that). If you've conceded that Dungey's' work doesn't support Electric Sun, what more discussion does it need?

FYI, I'm not trying to demonstrate a WHOLE ELECTRIC SUN theory out of Dungey's one paper. I'm simply trying to demonstrate that discharges happen in "conductors"!

And if you haven't conceded that, then can you respond to my critique before you ask that we critique it more?

(if you're talking about a different Dungey paper, then nevermind).

I think we need to first take a few baby steps and agree on what a "discharge" is and then we can get into a full blown "electric sun" theory. I'm not trying to suggest Dungey's one paper proves everything by itself about an electric sun, I'm simply noting that discharges occur in plasmas and have been associated with solar flares for 50 or more years!
 
Last edited:
You are lying. I have made no claims, false or otherwise. Thus you cannot have busted them.

I have quoted the "claims" of
  • Peratt: "An electrical discharge is a sudden release of electric or magnetic stored energy. This generally occurs when the electromagnetic stress exceeds some threshold for breakdown that is usually detemined by small scale properties of the energy transmission medium."
    This is the usual defintion of an electrical discharge.
  • Dungey: "A 'discharge' will be a region [of a large mass of ionized gas in a more or less complicated state of motion] in which the electrons are accelerated to high energies by the electric field, so that all the electrons are moving in the same direction with large velocities."
These are clearly differnt phenomena (Dungey's and Peratt's definition of discharge are different.)

So what if they are "different"? They both occur in a "conductor" don't they?

You have not shown any "superior" understanding of discharges.
Bull. You don't even know what a "discharge" is, nor can you or will you actually quote an electrical engineering textbook that claims a "dielectric breakdown" is even a *REQUIREMENT*!

You were the one who did not define the term electrical discharge in your original assertion.

It's been defined now forever. If I didn't define it, it's because I gave you folks too much credit for UNDERSTANDING a concept that clearly you do NOT understand.

That makes your assertion total nonsense.

No. Evidently you're trying to use it as an excuse to ignore Dungey's work it did nothing of the sort.

But then you cited Peratt's defintion which confirmed your original assertion as nonsense.

Pure BS. Both authors claim discharges happen in ionized gases AKA conductors.

You and GM will *NEVER* provide a physics text book definition of a discharge. You'll run like hell in fact.
 
what is the "electric sun" defintion of an electrical discharge

I think we need to first take a few baby steps and agree on what a "discharge" is and then we can get into a full blow "electric sun" theory.
I agree: You start - what is the "electric sun" defintion of an electrical discharge?
 
I agree: You start - what is the "electric sun" defintion of an electrical discharge?

You didn't read my surfer dude version I take it? It's the STORAGE and rapid *RELEASE* of that stored electric or magnetic field energy. Do you comprehend the definition?
 
Last edited:
I guess you never heard that it's only *ONE TYPE* of MANY types of "electrical discharges", eh?
The usual definition of electrical discharge (as in lightening) is *ONE DEFINITION* of A FEW definitions of electrical discharge.
I was unaware of the outdated use in plasma physics because I never came across it in my physics textbooks at university (and that was 20 years ago!).

However as I have pointed out (and you still do not seem to understand) about your "solar flares *ARE* electrical discharges" assertion
  1. Is wrong in itself because you do not define *WHICH DEFINITION* of the definitions of electrical discharge you are using.
  2. Is wrong accoprding to the defintions that you have cited (Solar flares are not caused by electrical discharges )
If you were honest you amnit say that solar flares are either
  • not caused by electrical discharges through a dielectric medium (plasma conducts) or
  • are caused by explodingt double layers (Alfven and others) or
  • are caused by magnetic reconnection (current theory).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom