I mean exactly what Alfven means when he describes coronal loops as "circuits" and two such circuits happen to "reconnection" in an "exploding double layer" event.
What exactly does Alfvén mean?
No. That's not the point. The point is to cite *PUBLISHED* work, preferably not your own work, particularly in a science debate. I already provided a published *DEFINITION* of an electrical discharge in a plasma that I am personally comfortable with that was written by someone with a knowledge of electrical engineering and plasma physics who's written a book on a related topic and who's published many papers on related topics.
So since that is a different meaning than that allegedly offered by Alfvén, which is different again from that offered by Dungey, then we can all accept that Dungey's description of an electrical discharge and Alfvén's description of an electrical discharge are off the table. We can simply drop those from the conversation at this point. Sounds like progress to me.
Sure, I'll be happy to as long as this is a two way conversation. While I'm sitting here learning a bit about the Latex features, how about you start by answering a couple of quick direct questions about whether an electrical discharge can occur in plasma. Yes or no?
We're still waiting on the electric Sun cranks' clear and objective definition of the term "electrical discharge".
No, its a term designed to get you to read and comment on Alfven's exploding double layer paper, that you all sort of handwave at, but never find a flaw in. You know, that paper from the conference where he called magnetic reconnection theory pseudoscience a ton of times?
Well of course it isn't anyone else's responsibility to demonstrate that the stupid electric Sun claims are false or to offer any alternative explanations. But that burden of proof/default position thing is a grade school science concept. Likely nobody here is stupid enough to overlook it.
I can explain to you that Alfven's approach stores his energy in the coronal loop "circuits" by running current through that circuit.
Then explain it.
I can explain to you that the circuit energy is then suddenly released/discharged inside an exploding double layer and I know that you at least have some understanding of what I am talking about from the standpoint of electrical engineering.
Then explain it.
From the few classes I took however, I at least understood the difference between current and a discharge.
Then explain it.
My problem as I see it, is that we're stuck on a denial-go-round because the haters don't understand what a "discharge" is.
Certainly not as used by the electric Sun adherents, for the simple reason that they've never actually defined it in a clear, unambiguous way.
They don't understand the difference between a discharge and current.
Then explain it.
They don't want to talk about storing energy in circuits, or releasing that energy in explosive double layers.
It's not their job to talk about it, unless the purpose here is to indulge some electric Sun crackpots' desire to talk all sciency. If there's something compelling about it that relates to the silly claim that solar flares are electrical discharges, the onus is on the proponents of that claim to explain it.
Instead, they are throwing arbitrary *REQUIREMENTS* on the term "discharge* that I personally never heard of in the few engineering classes I took, nor anywhere else in life until *THIS* specific conversation. When I ask them to provide a written and/or published definition of a discharge that *REQUIRES* a "dielectric breakdown", I get nothing but handwaves and accusations about how they continue to speak for nameless engineers around the world. Only the EU proponents and a few lurkers have noted that a discharge can occur in a conductor, but not a single hater is willing to come to terms with that reality. We're stuck on a hopeless denial-go-round based a false claim they made about what a "discharge' is. How can I work with that? I really would welcome any suggestions you might have, honestly.
I'd suggest, honestly, that someone claiming solar flares are electrical discharges should define exactly what is meant by electrical discharge in a clear, objective, and unambiguous way.
When I said that a flare *IS* an electrical discharge, I was basing that claim/statement on the *DEFINITION* of a discharge that I understand to be correct, that has been published and that everyone can review and comment on.
Yet other contradictory descriptions of the term were thrown in side by side with the one which is allegedly correct. And that, of course, negates the notion that a clear objective definition has been provided.
I have *NO* published definition of a discharge from their side that *REQUIRES* a "dielectric breakdown". They are essentially waving in their *OWN* arbitrary personal (false) beliefs about the need for a "dielectric breakdown" for a "discharge" to occur. That's pure nonsense.
Tough. The claim has been made that solar flares and CMEs are electrical discharges. It's not anyone else's responsibility to support that claim or to provide alternative explanations. That's not how science works. This is a grade school concept. It would be amazing if there were adults who consider themselves scientists who don't understand this.
I need to know *EXACTLY* where we stand before we start talking about specific circuit diagrams and I insist that we start with *ALFVEN's* diagrams and maths, not yours.
Then explain Alfvén's math.
Please refrain from questioning *MY* honesty when you *REFUSE* to comment on Alfven's use of circuits, circuit energy and the release of circuit energy, and you refuse to comment on anyone's statements but mine.
It's not anyone else's responsibility to support the crackpot claim that solar flares are electrical discharges. To ask anyone to do that is the epitome of dishonesty. This is grade school science.
Is there any particular reason you distrust Dungey and/or Peratt?
Dungey and Peratt meant different things with their use of the term electrical discharge. Which definition is being used in the claim that solar flare and CMEs are electrical discharges?
FYI The Man,....
I'm not sure why you all feel that it is so damn important for me to reword Dungey or Peratt's sentences for you to all be happy, but if that makes you happy.....
... followed by a conspicuous absence of any rewording of anything. Now there's a dishonest argument.
I am still waiting for their side to acknowledge that a "discharge" is a release of stored EM energy, not simply a "current". If and when that ever happens, I'm sure the conversation will *EVENTUALLY* move forward. At the moment it seems like you all expect me to PERSONALLY duplicate work and statements that have already been done and presented to you simply so the peanut gallery can take pot shots at my statements and build strawmen of my statements, but if that's really what you want......
... again followed by a conspicuous absence of any explanation or duplicating of anyone's work. Another dishonest argument, but not unexpected.
I have at least demonstrated the understanding of a "discharge" well enough to point out the *CLEAR ERRORS* being made by the haters, specifically that a "Discharge" cannot occur in a "conductor", and that a "dielectric breakdown" is a *REQUIREMENT* for a "discharge".
There are several definitions for the term "discharge". Peratt even explained an electrical discharge as a genital discharge. There is no requirement for the term to mean any particular thing at all. Of course if one wants to engage in a sane, intelligent discussion and use the term within that discussion, and be understood, then there is a requirement that the person using the term as a primary component of their claim define the term in an unambiguous objective way. The term "discharge", and more particularly the term "electrical discharge", has not been defined clearly and concisely in this discussion yet.
What exactly have they said about a "discharge" that is correct, and why do I have to demonstrate any more expertize than I have already shown by pointing out *THEIR* errors?

Shouldn't they have to demonstrate some kind of understanding of a "discharge"?
No. What exactly "they" have said that is correct about a discharge is that there are several definitions for the term. And "they" have already demonstrated a variety of understandings of the term. Particularly "they" have shown that Alfvén, Dungey, and Peratt (with his association of an electrical discharge to a genital discharge) use the term differently, and that none of them uses it in a way that seems to support the claim...
For the record, I said that a solar flare *IS* an electrical discharge.