Limbo
Jedi Consular
- Joined
- Feb 29, 2008
- Messages
- 3,077
Are there limits to Chaos Magic?
Could an accomplished Chaos Magician fly or regrow an amputated limb?
If there are limits, what causes those limits?
I don't know.
Probably.
I don't know.
Are there limits to Chaos Magic?
Could an accomplished Chaos Magician fly or regrow an amputated limb?
If there are limits, what causes those limits?
Try it on ayahuasca.
Fine. Then how did the universe manage to exist before conscious life existed?There is more to consciousness than conscious awareness.
I don't know.
Probably.
I don't know.
I don't know.
Probably.
I don't know.
Fine. Then how did the universe manage to exist before conscious life existed?
These answers seem far less certain than:
"Everything is permitted, everything is true"
Yesterday I ate too much turkey. Today I am eating too much turkey.Before? What, you think time is as you percieve it?
Before? What, you think time is as you percieve it?
Well then I guess you better become an accomplished Chaos magician so that you can let us know.
Wait, don't tell me you would let uncertainty stop you...?
Yesterday I ate too much turkey. Today I am eating too much turkey.
The days are starting to blur together.
Still, yesterday occurred before today. And there was a universe before there was a D'rok.
I think you may be confused about what the word "ideology" means.Yeah, that's the way we perceive it. But of course you know, there is more going on than meets the eye. Or, you should. Even your own scientism idols will tell you that there is a bizarreness to time. But lets just sweep all that under the rug, until such a time as it is useful to YOUR ideology.
Well then I guess you better become an accomplished Chaos magician so that you can let us know.
Wait, don't tell me you would let uncertainty stop you...?
Are you assuming I have not "practiced" chaos magic(k) exactly as you have described it?
Everything is permitted, everything is true.
I think you may be confused about what the word "ideology" means.
But do go on. Tell us how matter arises from consciousness. I'm paying attention.
Some of the conversations I've seen recently are boiling down to the point where a skeptic might realize that its his or her own personal responsibility to, as Sam Harris called it, "build your own telescope". That is to say, evaluate mystical claims by becoming a mystic yourself. Of course Sam Harris would use other terms that are sanitized for 'rational folk', such as contemplative. But me, I am not so kind.
So lets say you are a card-carrying skeptic and you want to do a little mystical investigation of your own, that is to say build your own telescope and see what you can see. Where do you start? Well, you could do as Sam seems to be doing and go the meditation route. But most of us Westerners have a hard time with meditation, and most who try it give it up before achieving mystical altered states of consciousness.
So what other choice does that leave for the intrepid skeptic? Whatever contemplative tradition an intepid skeptic chooses must include a method of gaining altered states of consciousness. That is a universal common denominator in mystical traditions. That is to say, its part of every telescope. Sam Harris has chosen meditation to build his telescope with. But for those of us without the temperament or the time to devote to learning and practicing meditation, there is quicker choice. Chaos magic.
The idea behind Chaos magic is simple. Everything is permitted, everything is true. A chaos magician uses the power of paradigm shifting, in conjunction with altered states of consciousness, in order to elicit psychic functioning for a purpose. That, in essence, is magic.
So an intrepid skeptic who wants to test chaoes magic would start with a little reading about the principles of Chaos magic. Then, he or she selects a method of achieving gnosis. Gnosis is the Chaos magic term for altered state of consciousness. There are several methods to choose from, and its a very personal choice. Self-hypnosis, sexual orgasm, frenzied dancing, entheogens, ect.
Then he or she learns to contruct a sigil. A sigil is a personal symbol of intent, which the psychic energy of your gnosis is directed toward. Intent is a crucial ingredient. For instance, our intrepid skeptic has the intent to experience psychic ability. So he or she first constructs a sigil that symbolizes that intent, then uses a method to achieve a temporary state of gnosis, and waits.
It might take a while to get the hang acheiving gnosis but eventually the unconscious mind of the skeptic, in accordance with the intent of the sigil, would begin to provide the conscious mind with psychic experiences. Then what our intrepid skeptic has done in essence is cast a spell. Paradigm manipulation, sigils, and gnosis. Oh my!
The underlying basis is that the nature of reality is or includes consciousness, not merely matter and energy and the 'illusion' of consciousness. Consciousness is primary and it transcends time and space, matter and energy, and it transcends individuality. All those emerge from consciousness. Its a transcendental or mental monism, as opposed to a physical or material monism.
I'm assuming you are not an accomplished Chaos magician. A newbie Chaos magician, on the other hand, I could believe.