This bird was on our front porch. He had no problems getting in my hand and staying for a while. He later flew into a bush.
Any idea what it is?
Superb Starling. If you took this photo in North America (and not in a zoo) I'd love to hear where. These birds are native to East Africa, but have probably been widely introduced elsewhere.While we are on the subject of unidentified birds can anyone help with this one.
Superb Starling. If you took this photo in North America (and not in a zoo) I'd love to hear where. These birds are native to East Africa, but have probably been widely introduced elsewhere.
[qimg]http://www.azwebpages.com/download/kidbirds.jpg[/qimg]
This bird was on our front porch. He had no problems getting in my hand and staying for a while. He later flew into a bush.
Any idea what it is?
It looks like it could be a house wren. Do you have any closer photos with more detail?
This is about the best.
[qimg]http://www.azwebpages.com/download/KidsBird3.jpg[/qimg]
He was a very friendly little bird. He stayed perched on my hand for a couple of minutes, and even took a crap.
This is about the best.
[qimg]http://www.azwebpages.com/download/KidsBird3.jpg[/qimg]
He was a very friendly little bird. He stayed perched on my hand for a couple of minutes, and even took a crap.
There are a few species of Vireo that might be in your area, some of which have that yellowish brown color. Maybe Google for images of "yellow green vireo" and see what you think. From your first photo the beak looks too thin to be a finch.
Thanks to you and everyone else. I was thinking it might be a Nashville Warbler. There's a pic below. However, I think I'm leaning to The Shrike's call of an orange crest warbler sans crest. The deciding point for me was that the feet of the NW are light colored while the OCW and my bird had dark feet.
The bird was hanging on the brick looking our front window when the kids spotted him. So I took them outside for a look, and it didn't fly away. That's when I encouraged it to get on my hand (I had parakeets, cockatiels and parrots growing up, so I guess I know how to approach them). My kids were very gentle looking at it (no touching), and it only flinched a couple of times. Had my three year old not been so clumsy trying to sit back down, it would have stayed longer. It almost seemed tamed.
Thanks to you and everyone else. I was thinking it might be a Nashville Warbler. There's a pic below. However, I think I'm leaning to The Shrike's call of an orange crest warbler sans crest. The deciding point for me was that the feet of the NW are light colored while the OCW and my bird had dark feet.