• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

North Korea fires artillery on the South

depends which way the war moved. I am sure a pure SK invasion of NK would not be pretty.

I didn't say it would be pretty, it's war after all, but either way it moves SK has the advantage. Again disregarding outside influence, SK has air and armor superiority. Navy is kindof a moot point, as it won't influence the conflict in any drastic way, but I believe SK has the advantage here as well. It will (most likely) ultimately come down to a war of attrition, which, from what I can see (and I'm certainly not even remotely close to an expert), SK holds the advantage there as well.

(then NK would just disappear)

Which is precisely why there is no logical reason for them to launch nukes if they have them. They automatically lose if it happens.
 
Does they even have a real economy? :confused:

Not really, their GDP is something like $40 billion (by comparison, Apple's revenue is on the order of $15-$20 billion per quarter). Most of their petroleum is imported from China at a huge discount, and a significant portion of their food comes as aid from other countries.

Yet somehow they manage to spend like...$7 billion a year on their military.
 
I bet China has still not commented.

I doubt they will. If they do, it will probably be something along the lines of "both sides should use caution" or something equally vague and said only because they have to. Which is interesting to me because, by my limited understanding of the politics in the region (I haven't really kept up since I was in HS a few years ago), the world is really more interested in China's stance on NK than anything either one of the Koreas has to say.
 
Not really, their GDP is something like $40 billion (by comparison, Apple's revenue is on the order of $15-$20 billion per quarter). Most of their petroleum is imported from China at a huge discount, and a significant portion of their food comes as aid from other countries.

Yet somehow they manage to spend like...$7 billion a year on their military.
Ok.

I really hope that every country cancel all the aid now. Shelling civilians...
 
I really hope that every country cancel all the aid now. Shelling civilians...

I don't really like using famine as a bargaining chip. I think it would be more appropriate for China to slash petroleum imports. But that's just me.
 
It's worth taking a look at what passes for news in North Korea

US Termed Wanton Disturber of World Peace

Pyongyang, November 18 (KCNA) -- Ever since the emergence of the present administration the United States has drastically increased military spending, sparked off a new arms race, built military bases in different parts of the world, demonstrated its huge armed forces and staged military exercises there, creating the danger of war, observes Rodong Sinmun Thursday in a signed article.

...

What merits an extremely serious attention in the war moves of the U.S. imperialists is that they are making preparations for a nuclear war. This was clearly evidenced by the subcritical nuclear test conducted by them in a test ground in Nevada State in last September.

All this goes to prove that the U.S. imperialists are heading for a more dangerous military adventure in an effort to realize their scenario for world domination. They are the chieftain of aggression and war and a wanton disturber of the world peace, concludes the article.

Literally 5 days out of 7 there's an article about the US's evil plot to dominate the world being "flailed", "slashed", "assailed", "blasted", or even "flayed" (that one was great) by the world at large. About as often there's an article applying the same verbs to Japan; as well as headlines breathlessly declaring the sinking of the South Korean ship to be "EXPOSED" as a joint SK/US plot to provoke North Korea. Usually they'll feature some kind of "statement" from "The Mexican (or whichever country, etc) Young Peoples' Committee For the Peaceful Reunification of Korea" or some such, discovering the truth of (i.e., agreeing with) the official North Korean government statement about the sinking of the ship.

It's really worth a read. It's awesomely hilarious.
 
My favorite part about the whole DMZ propaganda thing is SK's blasting of k-pop over the loudspeakers
 
It's worth taking a look at what passes for news in North Korea



Literally 5 days out of 7 there's an article about the US's evil plot to dominate the world being "flailed", "slashed", "assailed", "blasted", or even "flayed" (that one was great) by the world at large. About as often there's an article applying the same verbs to Japan; as well as headlines breathlessly declaring the sinking of the South Korean ship to be "EXPOSED" as a joint SK/US plot to provoke North Korea. Usually they'll feature some kind of "statement" from "The Mexican (or whichever country, etc) Young Peoples' Committee For the Peaceful Reunification of Korea" or some such, discovering the truth of (i.e., agreeing with) the official North Korean government statement about the sinking of the ship.

It's really worth a read. It's awesomely hilarious.

American propaganda:

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272636067.shtml

followed by:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theti...ns-alaska-ratings-drop-40-percent-in-week-two

and finally:

http://primetime.tv.yahoo.com/

And then, perhaps some story about how terrorists have released another message threatening to blow up the world.
 
I doubt they will. If they do, it will probably be something along the lines of "both sides should use caution" or something equally vague and said only because they have to. Which is interesting to me because, by my limited understanding of the politics in the region (I haven't really kept up since I was in HS a few years ago), the world is really more interested in China's stance on NK than anything either one of the Koreas has to say.

China has commented both sides should strive for peace, IIRC.
 
If we are not planning for a coordinated nuclear strike on the North, we are not doing our job here... I think at this point it's inevitable that there will be a "hot" war.

Sadly, I agree. I don't think it will go nuclear unless North Korea uses nukes first.
 
You are really overstimating the rationality of the NK government.

yeah man, they're craaaazzy! haven't you ever like, studied.. I mean, I read this TIME article once, and it said he was coming unhinged... oh... and of course, Team America, World Police, was really funny too!

craaazzy Im tellin ya! Craaazy!

Oh oh, and Ahmedinijad is Craazy! And Mossadegh was Craaaazy! And "So damn insane" was craaazy! They are all so craaazy!
 
Last edited:
I don't really like using famine as a bargaining chip. I think it would be more appropriate for China to slash petroleum imports. But that's just me.
But then NK could turn it to famine anyway by claiming that the food couldn't be delivered. :(
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom