Zelenius
Muse
- Joined
- Jul 8, 2008
- Messages
- 908
Are there right-wing activist groups in other developed countries that closely resemble the American Tea Party both in terms of anger, as well as advocating limited government/low taxes, preventing government-subsidized universal health care, and well as having leaders like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck?
While I realize the right-wing in many European countries have made significant gains over the past few years, whenever I hear about mass protests in France, Greece, the UK or Spain, these almost always involve the left or non-partisan anti-war activists. I seldom hear about right-wing protests; if they do take place they are rather small and usually don't make big news. I am unaware of any anti-universal health care activists in Europe or Canada. The conservatives in these countries don't have a problem with it, generally speaking(to my knowledge).
I bring this up since some European and Canadian friends of mine are terrified by the Tea Party crowd. They can't understand why people would take to the streets to protest against subsidized health care. They see them as Bush-supporters, and believe they are racist and this is why they are so upset over Obama. They also don't understand how people who want to lower taxes for the rich can call their opponents "elitists" without being laughed out of town.
While some of my European friends will say there are "tea-party-like" people in their country, they are poorly organized, not as angry and don't have Sarah Palin-types as their leaders. The Tea Party is relatively mainstream in the U.S.
While I realize the Christian right in the U.S in uniquely American, the Tea Party is more concerned with economic than religious issues. Also, what is it about the U.S and our politics that gave rise to the Tea Party? Is it more a grass-roots phenomenon or has corporate backing been instrumental in its rise?
While I realize the right-wing in many European countries have made significant gains over the past few years, whenever I hear about mass protests in France, Greece, the UK or Spain, these almost always involve the left or non-partisan anti-war activists. I seldom hear about right-wing protests; if they do take place they are rather small and usually don't make big news. I am unaware of any anti-universal health care activists in Europe or Canada. The conservatives in these countries don't have a problem with it, generally speaking(to my knowledge).
I bring this up since some European and Canadian friends of mine are terrified by the Tea Party crowd. They can't understand why people would take to the streets to protest against subsidized health care. They see them as Bush-supporters, and believe they are racist and this is why they are so upset over Obama. They also don't understand how people who want to lower taxes for the rich can call their opponents "elitists" without being laughed out of town.
While some of my European friends will say there are "tea-party-like" people in their country, they are poorly organized, not as angry and don't have Sarah Palin-types as their leaders. The Tea Party is relatively mainstream in the U.S.
While I realize the Christian right in the U.S in uniquely American, the Tea Party is more concerned with economic than religious issues. Also, what is it about the U.S and our politics that gave rise to the Tea Party? Is it more a grass-roots phenomenon or has corporate backing been instrumental in its rise?
Last edited: