The_Animus
Illuminator
- Joined
- Nov 24, 2006
- Messages
- 3,660
Let's go back to our little isolated island with 100 money in total. I need 1000 money to build a boat. Can I do it?
Sure. I establish a 1000 money loan with the bank and I pull the money out on 100 money chunks. Today I take out 100 money and pay to have the keel laid. The keel-layer takes his payment and deposits it back in the bank. Tomorrow I take out 100 money and pay to have the ribs installed. The rib-installer takes her payment and deposits it back in the bank. Two weeks from now, I'll have a boat.
And now I have a loan to pay back. Let's make it a really usurious loan -- I have to pay back 1200 money, and there's still only 100 on the island. Can I do it?
Of course I can. That's why I wanted the boat in the first place. I go out every night and catch a fish. I sell that fish to the banker for 5 money. I then pay him back that 5 money against my loan. In 240 days, I'll have paid back the loan, five money at a time. It takes me less than a year to pay back a loan twelve times greater than the total amount of money in circulation on the island.
No. As soon as I pay back the loan, the money that was created via lending disappears.
So at the end of the period, there's 300 money on the island. There's the original 100 money, and there's the 200 money that was created as "wealth" via the lending process. And, of course, the island as a whole is also wealthier by one boat and one deep-sea fisherman, which gives the island access to more and different fish.
In drawing out this scenario this is not what I came up with. So allow me to present your scenario as well as alternatives scenarios of a similar nature.
First off, at the completion of the fishing boat we have the following.
1. The bank has in its possession $100 as Skilled Craftsman#10 (from here on called SC10) deposited it in the bank.
2. You owe the bank $1200
3. The bank owes SC1 through SC10 $100 each, as they have each deposited their $100 in the bank after completing their portion of the work on the fishing boat.
*Alternative Scenario*
You go out to catch fish, hit a terrible storm, your boat sinks, and you die a terrible loanly (get it!) and cold death.
Now the bank cannot and will not ever get its $1200. So the current situation is:
1. The bank has $100.
2. The bank owes a total of $1000 ($100 each to SC1 through SC10)
Christmas is coming and the skilled workers wish to buy their daughters expensive imported gifts. They go to the bank, find out that it doesn't have money to cover what it owes them and they crucify the bank owner.
*End Alternative Scenario*
Back to your original scenario. You catch fish and each day sell one to the banker for $5. After 20 days the banker has no money left, so let us assume every 20 days you repay $100 of your loan. After the final $100 dollars is paid off the situation is as follows.
1. The bank has in its possession $100
2. You have a fishing boat and no money
3. The bank owes SC1 through SC10 $100 each for a total of $1000
Ahoy! You have had a good day of fishing and have caught 100 fish in a single day and are selling each one for $5.
SC1, SC2, SC3, SC4, and SC5 are all staring at your marvelous catch and decide they each want 20 fish. SC1 goes to the bank and gets his $100 dollars and buys the fish. SC2 through SC4 go to the bank asking for their money so they can buy fish as well. Upon learning the bank has no more they cut off each of the bankers limbs and hit you over the head with a rock, killing you, before taking your fish.
*Alternative Scenario*
As above except SC1 pays $100 for 20 fish. You deposit that $100 in the bank. SC2 withdraws his $100 and buys 20 fish. You deposit the money and so on through SC5.
Now the situation is
1. The bank has $100
2. The bank owes $1000, $100 each to SC6 through SC10, and $500 to you
SC1's daughter has turned 18 and decided to offer one night of sexual fun with her for $500. You go to the bank and ask for $500. The bank doesn't have $500 to lend you and the daughter will not take 5 payments of $100. In a fit of rage you kill the banker and the daughter, grind them up into chunks of flesh, and use them as bait in catching further fish.
*End Alternative Scenario*
The moral of this hypothetical experiment is that lending more money than actually exists will at some point result in someone dying a horrible death. Oh and it results in a constant owing of more money (debt) than actually exists.
Last edited: