• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Public Education is a Socialist Monopoly

Have you ever earned combat pay, and heard incoming?

If I answered "yes", would you cease ranting against teachers & their unions?

I didn't think so.

Besides, I didn't know the subject of this thread had anything to do with the military or combat scenarios.
 
His solution is school vouchers - which is another form of socialism. Take money from the taxpayers and have the government give it to private institutions, but the source is still compulsory payments by the taxpayers.

Hence, according to his own arguments, it is socialism :)

Oh sorry, I meant another solution since his solution still smacks of socialism.
 
Oh, by the way, just out of curiosity since I was a physics major at UCSB:

Incidentally, I found it extremely bad judgment on your part when you hatefully attacked the emeritus physics professor at UC Santa Barbara.

Extremely bad judgment.

What's this about, then?
 
If I answered "yes", would you cease ranting against teachers & their unions?

I didn't think so.

Besides, I didn't know the subject of this thread had anything to do with the military or combat scenarios.

For what it's worth, my husband is a conservative who has heard incoming fire and has been at war.

He is in favor of public education.

And he would think Jonathan's anti liberal rants are disgusting and frankly disturbing. His battle buddy and best friend is a hard core liberal, and his wife is a left leaning moderate.
 
Uruk, to what do you attribute the difference? Do your brothers have different home environments as far as learning is concerned? Or is it something about Montessori schools?

My older brother is a college educated veteran who works in the aerospace industry. His wife has a masters in fine arts and teaches at a local university. His wife even taught art at the Montessori school herself. Although there may be issues with my brother being away from home for long periods of time his daughter seems relativly well adjusted. His wife said that the majority of the teachers at the Montessori do not have degrees and teaching certificates. They recieve low pay and do not follow any form of standardized curriculum.

It seems the school may be a scam by the person who runs it. So far no governmental body has come in to deal with the situation. The parents don't complain because the children never seem to fail thier courses. My neice passes her classes with "A"s dispite the fact that she can't read and do math properly.

My younger brother is a help desk jocky for well known telecommunication company and has only a highschool education. But he is a diciplinarian and ecourages and participates in his son's and daughter's education. He's there for all the parent/teachers meetings and cracks the whip on them doing thier homework.
 
Last edited:
So, no real solution yet, but an "interim" one that subsidizes private schools with public money. Consider me unswayed. :rolleyes:

- Scott
 
It seems to me that JQ is regurgitating the usual teaparty bullet items.
I've hear it all the time on talk radio. Cirticizim, criticizim, criticizim, but no alternatives or solutions. It seems they like the status quo.

And it worries me when some cry for Constitutional oringinalisim. Exactly how far back do they want to go with the Constitution? Pre-fourteenth admendment?
 
It seems to me that JQ is regurgitating the usual teaparty bullet items.
I've hear it all the time on talk radio. Cirticizim, criticizim, criticizim, but no alternatives or solutions. It seems they like the status quo.

And it worries me when some cry for Constitutional oringinalisim. Exactly how far back do they want to go with the Constitution? Pre-fourteenth admendment?

Single classroom schools, I guess.
 
Reading the rants on other boards about creationism I suspect this has a lot to do with his objection to his children being taught science.
 
Unfortunately for him, they teach evolution in private schools too.

doh
 
Unfortunately for him, they teach evolution in private schools too.

doh

You should see his rants over in the religion section in regards to evolution.

They're exactly the same rants as in this thread. Non-stop bile against 'leftists'.
 
This is a valid criticism of the teacher education system, in my opinion. One area which is in dire need of reform is better standards for prospective teachers. I cannot tell you how sick I got of hearing other teaching candidates in my program going on about how education was "such an easy major."

Of course, they took the easy road, got a less than impressive degree, and now many cannot find work or got substandard positions. However, I - with my advanced degree (M.S. in physics) and community college experience (I started to teach at the CC level before I was certified at the HS level) - got a damn good teaching position because I was a good candidate who didn't take the easy, slacker road.

See? Within the parameters of the public education system, the free market works :)

To my earlier point about lousy teacher preparation in university programs, I think that is partly the fault of education professors who foster such a lackadaisical environment. Change is really needed at that level, but I don't know how to institute it.

Ironically, here I am - a teacher on the inside looking out - and I'm providing what I feel to be a legitimate criticism of the profession, yet JQ says nothing in response to this criticism. He doesn't even take the time to agree or disagree.

Guess he's just too busy saving the world from "socialism", eh?
 
Ironically, here I am - a teacher on the inside looking out - and I'm providing what I feel to be a legitimate criticism of the profession, yet JQ says nothing in response to this criticism. He doesn't even take the time to agree or disagree.

Guess he's just too busy saving the world from "socialism", eh?

Yes Matt, but have you ever slept in a foxhole with the sound of incoming fire echoing around you?

That's what's REALLY relevent to this conversation.
 
This was already done in #25, but I'll repost
Thanks for the citation, Schrodinger's Cat. :) I think I could add a few more now, but the point is made.

My older brother is....
And thanks, Uruk, for answering my questions.


Have you ever earned combat pay, and heard incoming?
And you've always thought of, if not called, Dan Quayle "stupid," and Ronald Reagan "stupid" and George Bush "stupid."
...
How about "neocon"?
How about "right wing religious extremist"?
How about "clinging to their Bibles and guns"?
Hey, Jonathan, it looks like you're running low on litmus paper. Here's a new pack of strips for you.

http://www.scientificsonline.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/348x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/3021313_1.jpg

By the way, I learned about them in public school.


Oh, and remember to apologize to the Cat.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom