Quadraginta,
By implication you are setting up false alternatives with respect to forensic bias: Either do nothing to fix the problem of forensic bias, or give up on using forensic information altogether. This problem did not start with the Knox case; I again offer the
Patricia Stallings case as just one example. Moreover, thoughtful individuals have contributed ideas for reform. “CSI for real,” by
Roger Koppl is an eye-opening read. Gritsforbreakfast has so much thoughtful commentary that it is difficult to pick just one article, but
this one makes some broadly applicable points.
Dr. Stefanoni had to apply for permission to be allowed to be on both the collection team and the analysis team. Dr. Biondo was an unpaid consultant for the prosecution. Because he is Dr. Stefanoni’s direct supervisor, it is difficult to see how this constitutes an independent evaluation of her work, in the way that an expert from an unrelated branch of ILE would be. However, I do not know who Dr. Biondo’s superior is nor how their job performances are evaluated, and I agree with your implication that would be helpful to know these sorts of things better to evaluate their independence from the prosecution. I have instead focused on Dr. Stefanoni’s actions that raise doubts on their own merits, without reference to how independent she is. There has never been a shortage of these.