Mary_H
Philosopher
- Joined
- Apr 27, 2010
- Messages
- 5,253
Firstly, I never claimed that the passages I quoted all had direct read-across relevance to the Kercher case. I did argue, instead, that they illustrated the, ummm, "refreshing" attitudes of the Italian police and prosecutors towards defence lawyers and their access to clients (at least according to the European Criminal Bar Association). And I'd argue that this definitely has some relevance for the case under discussion here.
BUT....... there is one part here that might well have direct relevance to Amanda Knox (and Raffaele Sollecito). I'll reprint it below, in case you've forgotten it:
If the police, however, do not want the suspect to be assisted, they simply do not allow him to call his lawyer or they question him as a witness, since witnesses do not have the right to have legal assistance during questioning.
Could the Perugia police possibly have deliberately kept Amanda Knox under "witness" status between 1am and 1.45am on 6th November, in spite of actually considering her as a suspect (after Raffaele's change of alibi and what they thought they knew about the text message to Lumumba)? Could they have decided not to change her status - which would have required reading her her rights and allowing her access to a lawyer - since they preferred to try to break Amanda without a pesky lawyer being around?
Since I've been arguing for a long time that AK's status should have changed by 1am on the 6th at the latest, this makes more than a little sense to me. Hmmmmmm................
Mignini has said that the police stopped questioning Amanda and called him in when she became a suspect, after she signed her first statement. Hence, from that moment on, they were required to provide her with legal counsel. The fact that the police had in their possession the "spontaneous" statement Amanda made after signing her first statement shows that they did not provide her with a lawyer, who presumably would have prevented her from giving that statement to the police.
Amanda obviously felt the police still wanted something from her in those hours between her interrogation statement and her "spontaneous" statement. It is doubtful that at any time the police said, "You are no longer being questioned; we don't need your help anymore."
It is absurd for Fulcanelli to claim Amanda and Raffaele were not under arrest. As Bruce asked, could they leave? Did they know they could leave? I would suggest that the police's action of taking Raffaele's shoes away from him was a pretty strong non-verbal message that he wasn't going anywhere.
I'd like to know what would have happened if Amanda had tried to walk out of her interrogation before the cops were finished, or if when she was done, she tried to leave the police station.